gwn7 country broadcast of gf in standard definition AGAIN

if channel 7 cant achieve full hd for the grand final should fox / kayo be allowed to simulcast

• yes

Votes: 18 81.8%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • afl should mandate hd on 7

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • im blind as a bat and one of those flogs who pops up saying theres no difference

Votes: 2 9.1%

• Total voters
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
once again us country folk get rear rogered with a potato vision grand final.

all year you watch footy in hd upscaled to 4k which whilst not being true 4k still looks pretty good then come the big day we are shafted with what looks like vaseline smeared over the lens for the biggest game of the year. back to 1998 we go.

whats the interest in getting a petition going to allow a fox / kayo simulcast.

channel 7 have a hd channel in mate yet every year in the country we get a sd broadcast - even in the city its a compromised compressed version of hd.

its 2020 - 4k should be the standard for an event like this - we shouldnt even have sd in the conversation.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I don't think channel 7 even has 4k cameras, they're still using 240p Logitech webcams for the goal line footsge
The same company do the camerawork for both, don't they? Its just that when the channels were set up the "main" channels were SD with one then experimental HD channel.
For those who pay the premium service not to have it available of GF day seems odd to me, especially if the Fox broadcast is that much crisper. Seven's broadcast is fine to my eyes, but I don't pay for HD the rest of the year or for other sports.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Hey channel 7
D8099FF5-0E8F-4176-BB9B-8F4F8EA133F0.png

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
The actual production equipment is NEP. They only have HD production equipment. Anything downstream of them is the channel. Nepgroup.com.au

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
lol i remember those threads from a few years ago with boomers saying they couldn't tell the difference between HD and SD.. probably on their CRT tvs...

Oi. I had a Sony super fine pitch 36” crt. One of the last of the line. Full 1080 screen. I haven’t seen a picture on any led, plasma or oled that is anywhere near it. It was like looking out a window.

basashi

Premiership Player
Jun 18, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
FFC Quay Club
quite separately from the actual disappointment, a discussion with the decision makers on this one would be fascinating.

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Oi. I had a Sony super fine pitch 36” crt. One of the last of the line. Full 1080 screen. I haven’t seen a picture on any led, plasma or oled that is anywhere near it. It was like looking out a window.

I've never seen a CRT produce anything vaguely even close to a decent LCD or LED

seanoff

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
St Mary's
I've never seen a CRT produce anything vaguely even close to a decent LCD or LED
You need to track that screen down. Was capable of 1080p with contrast ratios leds can only dream of. colour depth that is unparalleled. The best OLED are 12bit. That screen is 24 bit. Response time that is also not matched. Mofo was heavy. But seriously. A window Not a screen.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
once again us country folk get rear rogered with a potato vision grand final.

all year you watch footy in hd upscaled to 4k which whilst not being true 4k still looks pretty good then come the big day we are shafted with what looks like vaseline smeared over the lens for the biggest game of the year. back to 1998 we go.

whats the interest in getting a petition going to allow a fox / kayo simulcast.

channel 7 have a hd channel in mate yet every year in the country we get a sd broadcast - even in the city its a compromised compressed version of hd.

its 2020 - 4k should be the standard for an event like this - we shouldnt even have sd in the conversation.
Is this somehow Rupert Murdoch's fault like everything else.

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Well I remember Channel 10 had their One HD station which had the rights to NBA, AFL, Netball, F1, Moto GP, Bundesliga etc? Old mate Lachlan Murdoch got involved with c10 and not long after half those sports ended up as fox exclusives and One HD died a premature death. So yeah...it kinda is

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
john howards id say - the siphoning laws.

i can understand that you want to make it available to everyone - and i dont care if they are guaranteed a feed - but its pathetic that you dont get an option to watch it in 4k let alone hd

Back