Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Exactly. People talk about her like she’s been some kind of amazing premier. She’s just a fu**en doormat for developers.
I agree she is way too close to the developer lobby, but her popularity isn’t that bewildering and isn’t totally unearned.

When she came into the job, she killed a bunch of very unpopular council mergers. Then she cancelled a bunch of proposed public-private partnerships for hospitals and promised to build them as fully public, and canned a proposed emergency services levy. All were big points of unhappiness with the Baird government.

She’s also reaping the benefit of approximately $120b of infrastructure spending that was started under her, Baird and O’Farrell, a lot of which is now coming online. Much of it is public transport renewal which has been desperately needed for decades, particularly the heavy rail stuff that Carr announced in 2005 and never did much about. It’s also been achieved with a fairly clean balance sheet.

Rightly or wrongly, she has a reputation for getting things done - something that has proved pretty difficult for Premiers in NSW over the last couple of decades.

It’s very similar to why Dan Andrews has proven so popular in Victoria.

Last edited:

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Maybe she gets things done because she's just as corrupt and crooked as the people she deals with.
Very possible. At state and local government levels in Australia, a lot of the most effective politicians are the ones who don’t have too many qualms about cutting corners.

That is not a reputation she has ever had though. Cosy, yes. Corrupt, no.

Last edited:

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
I agree she is way too close to the developer lobby, but her popularity isn’t that bewildering and isn’t totally unearned.

When she came into the job, she killed a bunch of very unpopular council mergers. Then she cancelled a bunch of proposed public-private partnerships for hospitals and promised to build them as fully public, and canned a proposed emergency services levy. All were big points of unhappiness with the Baird government.

She’s also reaping the benefit of approximately $120b of infrastructure spending that was started under her, Baird and O’Farrell, a lot of which is now coming online. Much of it is public transport renewal which has been desperately needed for decades, particularly the heavy rail stuff that Carr announced in 2005 and never did much about. It’s also been achieved with a fairly clean balance sheet.

Rightly or wrongly, she has a reputation for getting things done - something that has proved pretty difficult for Premiers in NSW over the last couple of decades.

Well on the error-riddled public transport infrastructure, I think there’s a perception she couldn’t have ****ed it up more if she’d tried.

Not to mention the stadium and Powerhouse fiasci.

Not sure where this perception of competence comes from, except her barrackers in the press.

Last edited:
Just another reminder of the difference between the treatment of Gladys compared to Julia Gillard.
If we want to be contemporary and compare apples with apples, look at the difference between Gladys Berejiklian and Dan Andrews. Imagine their roles reversed and she was the Premier of Victoria managing this pandemic while he was the Premier of NSW who'd been slipping one to a corrupt MP for half a dozen years. I don't think you'd find the press concentrating on his achievements, dubious or otherwise in office and lamenting his appalling taste in women to justify his retention while I doubt that Peta Credlin would turn out to her daily press conferences (lol) demanding that she be allowed to tell the Premier how to do her job.

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So, are you equally as dismissive of this then?

Not dismissive, it’s awful and unacceptable, but... well, I reckon they only found it because they looked.

State government is rife with this stuff but there is usually very little media scrutiny because good state political bureaux are expensive to run and generate little revenue.
Well on the error-riddled public transport infrastructure, I think there’s a perception she couldn’t have f’ed it up more if she’d tried.

Not to mention the stadium and Powerhouse fiasci.

Not sure where this perception of competence comes from, except her barrackers in the press.
That is one perspective. On the other hand there are a lot of people who couldn’t care less about the light rail and stadiums, and are just happy that they’re finally getting the heavy rail and freeway extensions they were promised five premiers ago.

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
That is one perspective. On the other hand there are a lot of people who couldn’t care less about the light rail and stadiums, and are just happy that they’re finally getting the heavy rail and freeway extensions they were promised five premiers ago.
I guess I'm just going on the persistent angle of the news stories over time. I don't follow state politics nearly to the extent that you clearly do, and there's no denying stuff-ups sell papers (or prompt clicks) better than boring "job done" stories. But from my perspective the perception of Bladders as a highly competent "can-do" premier sits uneasily with the number of stuff-up headlines she's generated.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE

plus the Labor Party in NSW absolutely disgraced itself and had become unelectable. Berejiklian and the NSW Liberal Party have also lost a cricket team's worth of members due to corruption/shenanigans and are still more popular than the ALP. I reckon it says something about how putrid NSW politics is.

Northalives

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2005
Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PORT ADELAIDE
I guess I'm just going on the persistent angle of the news stories over time. I don't follow state politics nearly to the extent that you clearly do, and there's no denying stuff-ups sell papers (or prompt clicks) better than boring "job done" stories. But from my perspective the perception of Bladders as a highly competent "can-do" premier sits uneasily with the number of stuff-up headlines she's generated.
I also cannot for the life of me, understand how anyone can think that sharing a bed with a gangster and not being compromised is possible. They must also believe in the tooth fairy and Santa!

SALACIOUS !

gareth ward is that burns-victim guy who keeps turning up places naked.
don harwin was the guy who broke lockdown to go have a quick play with his rent boy ( that young guy with a beard always on " THE DRUM " )

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
plus the Labor Party in NSW absolutely disgraced itself and had become unelectable. Berejiklian and the NSW Liberal Party have also lost a cricket team's worth of members due to corruption/shenanigans and are still more popular than the ALP. I reckon it says something about how putrid NSW politics is.

the ALP that got booted in 2011 was probably the most corrupt government since the 80s era of WA inc and the QLD Bjelke-Petersen stuff.

If Liberals couldn't hang onto government for the next decade then they didn't deserve to be a party.

the ALP that got booted in 2011 was probably the most corrupt government since the 80s era of WA inc and the QLD Bjelke-Petersen stuff.

If Liberals couldn't hang onto government for the next decade then they didn't deserve to be a party.
I even voted to boot them out in 2011.

Me!

Meanwhile, dear Gladys is using the Morrison ploy of trying to avoid responsibility.

Someone should make her up a tombstone for her desk too - this time shaped like a koala that has printed upon it "I stopped these"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back