Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

The person that I have seen listed that I would like to at least be one interviewed would be Sam Mitchell. Not for any reason other than I think he might make a good coach as he has been at a successful club and knows that to do well you need to work hard , as he did. No one else really stands out . My only issue is it would be another untried coach, but most of the ex coaches have either had their go or are not what I think we require .

AND THEN THEIR COACH

As a result of this sustained period of triumph, Damien Hardwick deserves to be spoken of in the same sentence as Alastair Clarkson.

Consider Hardwick’s last 20 years in football for a moment.

In 2000 he played in Essendon’s all-conquering premiership team that went through the season losing just one match.

From 2001-2004 he was part of Port Adelaide sides that won three of a possible four minor premierships and one big premiership.

Then in 2008, he was Clarkson’s right-hand man at Hawthorn as the club shocked Geelong on the biggest stage.

His 2010-2016 period at Richmond saw him produce no finals victories. Not one. He almost lost his job.

But since then, he’s overseen three more premierships in four seasons. So as a coach, senior assistant or player, he’s been involved in six flags in 20 years. He’s been around the mark in several others.

Good enough, joins at the end of 2018. Two flags to his name. It's all about the system.

Caracella was there in 2017 but has now moved on to the Dons.
Leppa was there but he is moving on from the game.
Mcrae has just moved to Hawthorn.

Only leaves Kingsley and McQualter
  • Damien Hardwick. Senior coach.
  • Justin Leppitsch. Assistant coach, backline/defence.
  • Andrew McQualter. Assistant coach, midfield/offensive.
  • Adam Kingsley. Assistant coach, midfield/stoppage.
  • Craig McRae. Assistant coach, forwards.
Fair enough but I'm not sold. Especially because he was with St Kilda for 8 years before that of the top of my head. For the entire time they were missing finals I think.

A couple of weeks ago, on Foxfooty after game show, Johnno Brown was asked whether his mate Vossy would be a good candidate for the North coaching job, his reply, "i would advise him to go nowhere near it", appears he is taking that advice.

He also said this year Collingwood would do well in the Perth hub because their fans liked to travel.

This might have been said here before so apologies if I am repeating what has been said by others. Why don't we go really hard to get Clarkson. He has 1 year to run at Hawthorn if I'm not mistaken. We appear to be in more trouble than Hawthorn from a playing personnel point of view, but both clubs have to go through a rebuild and surely the job with us will be a far greater challenge for him to accept. But imagine the accolade he would get if he rebuilt us and got us to the ultimate success.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might have been said here before so apologies if I am repeating what has been said by others. Why don't we go really hard to get Clarkson. He has 1 year to run at Hawthorn if I'm not mistaken. We appear to be in more trouble than Hawthorn from a playing personnel point of view, but both clubs have to go through a rebuild and surely the job with us will be a far greater challenee for him to accept. But imagine the accolade he would get if he rebuilt us and got us to the ultimate success.

It'd have to be for money as well. That means forgoing a couple of assistants?

I'm with you though. In times of crisis you cut back and then spend money on the very best to steer the ship.

It also means we buy ourselves a lot of time with our rebuild. You'd stick with Clarkson for up to 3 years of turbulence with the promise things will get better. You're looking at a 5 year plan/contract that gives him stability.

Longmire got an additional 3 years when we came knocking (whilst he was contracted?). That gives us an idea what the market rate is security wise for a top tier coach. To be honest I think you're looking at 6-7 year contracts in this case.

This might have been said here before so apologies if I am repeating what has been said by others. Why don't we go really hard to get Clarkson. He has 1 year to run at Hawthorn if I'm not mistaken. We appear to be in more trouble than Hawthorn from a playing personnel point of view, but both clubs have to go through a rebuild and surely the job with us will be a far greater challenee for him to accept. But imagine the accolade he would get if he rebuilt us and got us to the ultimate success.
Could not agree more. Meanwhile we are spending, if the rumours are correct, a not inconsiderable sum on Roos to advise and over see.

What makes you say him SLF?

Strikes me as a more articulate but just as smug Voss.

Bloke to bring a bunch of kids together and through to premiership ... hard to go past.

With Blakey in the box and Roos as a key influence.

His work at West Coast and Hawthorn highly rated.

What makes you say him SLF?

Strikes me as a more articulate but just as smug Voss.

I like that Mitchell had to work his way up from a rookie list to earn his stripes rather than relying on his God given talents. Then he went over to the West to learn the craft of coaching in a different environment.

You would expect this to ramp up next week. There will be plenty of rumours and of coarse according to some jurno's we will have stuffed it up

Damian Barrett already has 5 variations of this ready to go to cover the next few columns:

IF
North Melbourne ever thought they were a chance to convince [Coach name] to sign

THEN
They were absolutely kidding themselves. The place is a shambles putting it nicely, they just knifed 2 capable senior coaches in succession and a psycho dictator is calling all the shots. What a mess.

Clarkson wouldn't replicate what he achieved at Hawthorn.

He had a lot help in priority picks & being able to invest heavily in the draft right before the expansion clubs rifled through the best U18 kids in the country.

His high kick/possession game has been undone by Caracella's "chaos-ball"

Chris Scott has basically attempted to copy Clarkson and he has failed.

Someone is going to have to outmaneuver the Richmond game plan. We showed how it can be done in 2019 by bashing their midfielders and separating their defensive aerial wall. It can be picked open.

Damian Barrett already has 5 variations of this ready to go to cover the next few columns:

IF
North Melbourne ever thought they were a chance to convince [Coach name] to sign

THEN
They were absolutely kidding themselves. The place is a shambles putting it nicely, they just knifed 2 capable senior coaches in succession and a psycho dictator is calling all the shots. What a mess.

8/10

Needs more "shinboner" :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back