2020 Grand Final Thread - Richmond v Geelong - Gabba

Who Wins The 2020 Premiership? Margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s also about preparation. The media today were saying how Patrick’s openness to them and it would look awesome if he lit up a cigar LeBronstyle would be great and Dusty is too quiet. Yeah fu** that.
Rather be quiet.

If I was Geelong I would have had Dangerfield working with a sports psychologist long before now.

To me Dangerfield's biggest issue (even when he was playing with us) is that in big games he doesn't seem to play his natural game. Rather than just playing himself into the game, he instead always tries way too hard to force himself into the game.

To use an old poker term, he plays "on tilt" on the big stage and more often than not, he ends up being a liability.

If I was Geelong I would have had Dangerfield working with a sports psychologist long before now.

To me Dangerfield's biggest issue is that in big games he doesn't play his natural game. Rather than just playing himself into the game, he instead always tries way too hard to force himself into the game.

To use an old poker term, he plays "on tilt" and that why I think in games like tonight he more often than not ends up being a liability.
Absolutely, he also played to the media and did an interview this morning.
What was Dusty doing?
Patrick peacocked and got a little jump but Dusty said before half time, we are coming and gonna get ya, and he carved it out second half.
It’s like who the hell is Lynch and Riewoldt.
They ran patterns for the game and were not effective.
Still won by five. Scary.

Considering the 55 point turn around from midway through the 2nd quarter and the way that Richmond demolished GWS in 2019 it really puts our loss against them in 2017 into some perspective and in retrospect we weren't any worse than anyone else has been against them in the GF.

This is a truly phenomenal side that's arguably as great as Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn were during their dynasties.

Even though 2017 still stings, history now shows that we didn't s**t the bed against a rubbish opponent

Considering the 55 point turn around from midway through the 2nd quarter and the way that Richmond demolished GWS in 2019 it really puts our loss against them in 2017 into some perspective and in retrospect we weren't any worse than anyone else has been against them in the GF.

This is a truly phenomenal side that's arguably as great as Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn were during their dynasties.

Even though 2017 still stings, history now shows that we didn't sh*t the bed against a rubbish opponent
Yeah I kinda buy it but we were at the green end of their game and could have turned it with ability on the day but sad face gif

That last goal by Martin was amazing, absolutely schooled PD. I knew he had the NS medal won long before the final siren. I still think Houli should have won the NS medal in 2017 though. Geelong gave it their best but ran out of steam and Ablett was gritty despite that shoulder. It was an enjoyable game.

Even though 2017 still stings, history now shows that we didn't sh*t the bed against a rubbish opponent

I knew heading into the 2017 GF that Richmond were going to be tough to beat, they smashed Geelong and fought off GWS. We lost our focus and they made us pay. But even if we played at our best it was a 50/50 game. But what happened the following season to Adelaide well that was the beginning of the end, destroyed our reputation. For me 2018 2019 were worse years than the spoon season for Adelaide.

Realized after hearing the Richmond theme song over and over that you can sing Monty Python's Penis Song to parts of it without missing a beat.

You can wrap it up in ribbons
Or stick it in your sock
Oh we're from Tigerland . . . .

Should have done THAT at the camp.

Ahh Patrick....

Anyone that argues we would have won the flag in 2017 if he was still with us is kidding themselves. He would have been a nervous hack on GF day just like last night.

Although I hate Richmond, I'm glad they best Geel just so Patty can stew on that for a while. He prob thinks he would have been the difference if he'd stayed at Adelaide too.

Sorry Patty, Dusty has now overtaken you as one of the greats. 0 flags doesn't get you near the discussion.

Just read an interview with Benny Gale where he responds to allegations that Richmond have become arrogant

No we’re not he says, we’re actually very humble

If you were truly humble you’d say “Thank you for the feedback, we don’t want to be seen as arrogant, we will take that on board”

Instead he says it’s driven the playing group to prove people wrong

Hmm sounds like arrogance to me

I'm sure that put a real dampener on the club's celebrations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The age of Geelong's team in the second half of next season:

Selwood - 33
(Higgins - 33)
Hawkins - 32
Tuohy - 31
Henderson - 31
Dangerfield - 31
Stanley - 30
Blicavs - 30
Rohan - 30
Duncan - 30

Geelong's players 25 and under with more than 50 games:

Henry
Parfitt
O'Connor
Kolodjashnij

That's a long list of 30 year olds. The second list intrigues me, I wonder how we compare.

Sorry if it's been covered but what were Dangerfield's stats after half time? I think it was just one possession in the third?
He did a few big hits. Did he injure himself earlier. Seemed to offer nothing in the second half.

Reckon they have one more shot at a flag, although Taylor leaves a bigger hole down back than Ablett does to their mids/forwards.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They should have grabbed Harto, but have been burned before. Harto makes sense for any side needing a big KPD, but moreso a contending side.

Are these guys one hit wonders?

That is a hit? Sounds like a

It's a debate that will be had for a few weeks now.

I think the standard of the AFL currently is not what it was, especially around the time of Brisbane Lions GFs in early 2000s. That team is the best AFL team I have seen.

I'd have Richmond around the level of Hawks 13-15, but behind Geel 07/09/11 and a long way behind Lions in 01-03

I think it shows when you are trying to build a premiership side. You need a gun with elite talent, a number of very good players and then the rest real solid role players who won't let you down.
Geelong have three. Dangerfield, Sellwood and Ablett. Just happens their best is behind them now. Dusty still firing on all cylinders, especially when it matters.

We lost the game in the first quarter. There was no line and there was no dragging.

His game was outstanding though. The only player that stood up in that game and any little glimmer we had was from him alone

Didn’t get near replicating that last night. Poorly coached - spent the whole third term in the forward line - when he was desperately needed around the ground

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Back