• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rushed_Behind

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2009
Buying Giraffes!!!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You think 4 in 8 is better than 4 in 5 ? I think majority of fans will tell you that stance is bullshit.

Or you saying you don't think the talent will continue to be diluted ?

Big year 2021.

Because talent is diluted and FA you have a lot more options to rise up ladder quicker. You don’t have to be that good to make a GF. Look at cats. Most other years they don’t make GF.

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
Because talent is diluted and FA you have a lot more options to rise up ladder quicker. You don’t have to be that good to make a GF. Look at cats. Most other years they don’t make GF.

I think the Cats are pretty good to be honest, better than GWS 2019 etc for eg.

Other point taken though, it should be easier to rise up the ladder given talent is diluted.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think his point - and he’s right - is that success is success and that’s objective. You can subjectively argue who would have beaten whom, who had more talent, a better coach, softer opponents, more ground advantage etc. That’s an opinion game

But if Richmond do win in 2021 and have a threepeat with 4 in 5 years, that is objectively more successful than the Hawthorn or Brisbane sides.

A long way to go though. Back to back is hard. Back to back to back is astonishingly hard. They are a Martin injury away from it being no chance and a lot can happen

May 10, 2007
Bonbeach
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal Fc Portland Trailblazers
I think his point - and he’s right - is that success is success and that’s objective. You can subjectively argue who would have beaten whom, who had more talent, a better coach, softer opponents, more ground advantage etc. That’s an opinion game

But if Richmond do win in 2021 and have a threepeat with 4 in 5 years, that is objectively more successful than the Hawthorn or Brisbane sides.

A long way to go though. Back to back is hard. Back to back to back is astonishingly hard. They are a Martin injury away from it being no chance and a lot can happen

Yeah mate that's exactly what I'm saying, Brisbane will argue they're better than us, we'll argue we're better and so forth.

Currently it stands Hawthorn, Brisbane, Richmond then Geelong based on the ultimate numbers... Richmond would leapfrog us and the Lions should they salute in 2021.

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
will Dangerfield miss weeks for the Vlastuin elbow?
Should, won't, will explain it away.
Bio mechanics, will say that his intentions were to palm ball to the side and the way he did it was the only way he could have.
In reality he spotted an opportunity to do both as in tap the ball on and take out a player at the same time, we know it we seen it.
No case to answer though.

JoeHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2008
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
All I can say is any side that has Garry Rohan in it will never win the premiership.

Take that to the bank people.

How he continues to get a game astounds me, surely he has burnt any tickets he had left after today's performance.
Didn’t Rohan play in 2012? I vaguely recall swans winning the flag but everything else seems to have been erased from my memory

JoeHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2008
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Really think that the state of the game is pretty piss poor.
I thought the game was scrappy, yes it was wet, and congested.
After watching a prelim and a semi live and the lack of skilled play to construct game play it’s just disappointing.
I have found myself saying to my 8yr old son that the game use to be more open, better skills and higher scoring and that the current game lacks real class outside of a few individual performances.
I might be sounding old but apart from Dusty being a sh*t hot player (cannot deny the guy that) what else was there to the game?
I’m starting to believe that if the current state of the game leaves us with a penultimate grand final of a scrappy slug feat that barely tops the pre and half time entertainment then we are all in trouble.
Leigh Mathews has said previously that he thinks that ground 3rds to hold position (without restrictions like under 10.5 football I would like to add) at the line of play.
The Zone mentality of every club has killed the spectacle of the game and I guess Clarko has to put his hand up for this to some degree.

Richmond can EAD on there GF era. Geelong can GAGF for as long as possible.
You say Clarko has level of responsibility for the current state of the game, but our style of footy during 2012-2015 was generally still exciting to watch and free flowing, as opposed to the rolling maul we see now. Or is it just my bias.

Apr 29, 2007
Clyde North
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
boxing, cricket
We hate Geelong yes, and we all enjoyed them losing a grand final.
BUT, will we all enjoy another 12 months of hearing about Richmonds magnificent era and how their era is better than ours.
I have Richmond friends and I can tell you it’s enough to make you break the friendship they’re far far far worse than Geelong people!!

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Taylor Walker was torn apart for his grand final (2 goals; 6 marks; 10 touches)

Dangerfield last night - 1 goal, 1 Mark, 12 touches and a whole lot of flopping:

Dangerflop2020Granny 2.gif

Will his media mates go at him the same way they did Walker?

Last edited:

MC_9

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Huge credit to Hardwick. He has clearly built a game style that holds up incredibly well in finals.

As aside from have the best finals player of the modern era, they are not a stacked side. Lots of good roles players that do their job, with some A Grade talent spread around the park.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Pessimistic

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts HBF's Milk Crate - 70k Posts TheBrownDog
Sep 13, 2000
Melbourne cricket ground. Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Horks
Yeah but that matters little IMO, all that matters is what you actually do and 3 in 4 > 3 in 5. Just like if Tigers win again in 2021 4 in 5 > 4 in 8.

3 in 3 or 4 in 6? Hawks have both. Not to mention 5 in 9 or 7 in well we get it

Last edited:

Bumps"N"Grins

Premiership Player
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Sell the team Dolan
You say Clarko has level of responsibility for the current state of the game, but our style of footy during 2012-2015 was generally still exciting to watch and free flowing, as opposed to the rolling maul we see now. Or is it just my bias.
That was because we implemented zones and work off them with possession footy, when the other teams started using zones, strangely as more of Clarkos assistants became senior coaches then the wheel turned.

Best remember that the style that Richmond now play came about due to a need to adapt to a crisis of no key tall forwards a number of years ago, until that time they were trying to do exactly as we were doing, Jack went down with a knee other key forwards were either injured or not up to it then they either brought forward something they were working towards or hit on something in a crisis but the chaos ball forward, kick and chase ball into the forward line, followed with pressure became their defining game style.
It's not a pretty game style, hard to watch and probably harder to play at a high level week in week out, to this end I'm surprised they have been able to keep it up for so long, hats off to them.

Glenhope

Club Legend
Jun 3, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Didn’t Rohan play in 2012? I vaguely recall swans winning the flag but everything else seems to have been erased from my memory
No missed '12.

He's averaging under 6 disposals per GF. (7+5+5=17) Goes missing. Scored 1-1.

Last edited:
May 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Far out Dusty was good last night. Pretty much willed them over the line. Quiet early but they didn’t have an answer for him late.

JoeHawk

Norm Smith Medallist
May 19, 2008
Templestowe
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That was because we implemented zones and work off them with possession footy, when the other teams started using zones, strangely as more of Clarkos assistants became senior coaches then the wheel turned.

Best remember that the style that Richmond now play came about due to a need to adapt to a crisis of no key tall forwards a number of years ago, until that time they were trying to do exactly as we were doing, Jack went down with a knee other key forwards were either injured or not up to it then they either brought forward something they were working towards or hit on something in a crisis but the chaos ball forward, kick and chase ball into the forward line, followed with pressure became their defining game style.
It's not a pretty game style, hard to watch and probably harder to play at a high level week in week out, to this end I'm surprised they have been able to keep it up for so long, hats off to them.
Yep. And that style won bulldogs a flag under Beveridge. Although Eagles adopt a nicer game style under Simpson. Suppose it comes down to the abilities of your players on what game plan suits best and perhaps has for decades.

Taylor Walker was torn apart for his grand final (2 goals; 6 marks; 10 touches)

Dangerfield last night - 1 goal, 1 Mark, 12 touches and a whole lot of flopping:

View attachment 994421

Will his media mates go at him the same way they did Walker?
What a flog. Such a diver.

Hope everyone is ready to cop how great Richmond is and Martin is the greatest of all time!
We hate Geelong yes, and we all enjoyed them losing a grand final.
BUT, will we all enjoy another 12 months of hearing about Richmonds magnificent era and how their era is better than ours.
I have Richmond friends and I can tell you it’s enough to make you break the friendship they’re far far far worse than Geelong people!!

only if you engage in it
Just nod and tell them to enjoy it - you’re never going to win a discussion around who was better.

All I know is that we were magnificent - that sublime kicking and the goals, I think we averaged over 10 a game but now it’s the tigers turn - it’s a very different game from our period of dominance and impossible to compare so why even try

Back