Analysis Geelong 2021 - contenders or a decline

Remove this Banner Ad

With better kicking in front of the sticks, they would have had Richmond on the ropes at half time. They're an experienced team who probably need an injection of midfield pace, but I can't see them sliding out of the top 8. Have a look at the teams who missed finals and ask yourself how many of them you'd back against Geelong in 2021.

2011 was an inherrited team. Like Longmire and 2012. Judging Scott on what he has done since then, he isnt winning a flag.

Its been the same theory as Clarko and Hawthorn except we 3-peated.
Geelong were in disarray at the end of 2010 with Bomber Thompson and Gary Ablett walking out on the club. They've been thereabouts consistently during Scott's coaching years so you have to give him some credit. Also, they had Richmond on the ropes at half time and could have been even further ahead with accurate kicking.

I wouldn't write Geelong off.

Geelong were in disarray at the end of 2010 with Bomber Thompson and Gary Ablett walking out on the club. They've been thereabouts consistently during Scott's coaching years so you have to give him some credit. Also, they had Richmond on the ropes at half time and could have been even further ahead with accurate kicking.

I wouldn't write Geelong off.

They had a great 1st half in the prelim last year too.

That 2nd half last night you could see Richmond were running on top of the ground despite being a man down since the start of the game, whilst Geelong looked completely cooked - running in quicksand.

I think Geelong were a side who benefited from the shorter quarters and fewer games this year - allowing them to manage their older brigade more effectively.

Neither Cameron nor Higgins move the needle for me. Their midfield is still their main issue when they lose games.

Should make top 8 and the media will spurt on about how they'll be a contender all year but I'll be surprised if they make it to prelim final week in 2021.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The cats will definitely be contenders in 2021.

Pros: They have a strong defence and potentially the best forward line in the comp with Jezza (even without Jezza)
Cons: They look too big and struggle to run out games against hard running sides for four quarters

I picked the tigers last night by 43, as I felt the tigers would smash the cats in the last 25 minutes. I wasn't too far wrong. However if they fix this issue, they'll go from flag contender to flag favourite.

I'm hopeful, but hard to see us having a better chance than last night while Richmond are around the mark. As long as the premiership goes through Richmond, we're going to find it tough. We have the talent, but when it comes to the crunch, they're tougher and more clinical.

I will say losing a grand final, but having that build up on GF week, even in as weird a season as 2020, beats the hell out of losing a prelim.

You look at the amount of older players they have and have to think about it.
But then you look at how that’s been predicted for the last 10 years and hasn’t happened.
Maybe down the track last night will be seen as the last straw but I think it’s more likely this year was an important step forward to break a minor finals hoodoo and the loss will spur them on.

This team is way too professional to drop off like Adelaide & Giants did.
They will be top 4 again bookmark it.
9 games back at their fortress plus adding in Jeremy Cameron & Shaun Higgins.
Ablett will be missed & not sure what's happening with Harry Taylor but I'm sure they can cover him if he retires.

Top 8, but not a contender. Cameron is a good pick up but their midfield is about to fall off a cliff. They need a gun replacement.
One Tim Kelly please!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back