Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
By saying the game was gone by 3/4 time I wasn't referencing the scoreboard, but the knowledge we were staring down a last quarter tsunami knowing we were powerless to stop it.

You could see it in their eyes, their body language, and their lack of belief. They were shot.

Fair enough. But if our best player is in the centre, I would say we're not powerless.

As you say, it's all about belief, and I think we lack that against Richmond (and that includes Dangerfield).

We were leading until my wife came home and two friends came around. I blame them.

Then the police ended up in our yard this morning about 2:40am after our dog had being going absolutely nuts about something outside. I think they were looking for a lost premiership.

Fair enough. But if our best player is in the centre, I would say we're not powerless.

As you say, it's all about belief, and I think we lack that against Richmond (and that includes Dangerfield).

Not powerless, but the damage had been done by then. CS left Danger rotting up forward for way too long.

Danger is a MIDFIELDER, and our gun midfielder at that. He is a pinch hitter up forward, no more than that.

That realisation needs to sink home within the coaching ranks quickly.

Scott's system doesnt work when teams cramp our Half forward line up and force the turn over not only does it open the game up for the opposition and backs are drawn towards the footy

It's a figure of speech mate, but if you must:

Selwood
Dangerfield
Hawkins
Ablett
Taylor

Some of the greatest players to play for this great club, but again it's just a figure of speech. Richmond are a champion team.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don't want to be confrontational, but I also take issue with the "team of champions" label for the 2020 Cats. (Not just you saying it, of course :) )
The five you mention above? No problem calling them champions, but that is 5 out of 22.

Compare that to Hawthorn '89, WCE '94, Cartlon 95, Brisbane 2002, Cats '07
We're nowhere near that.

You’re full of crap buddy. Parfitt was superb in our previous two wins against Bris and Coll. Your boy Kolo however sh*t his pants last night - his turnover kick one of a couple of basic errors that halted our momentum. Get angry. But not with Parfitt, who before being injured was playing well. Get angry if it makes you feel better with the likes of Dangerfield and Blicavs who played selfish footy, Rohan who did sfa, and of your boy Kolo who should have presented the Norm Smith to Dusty.
For someone who is meant to be older you don’t always come across as wise (Guthrie and Bews hate springs to mind). Sack up like David hasn’t and answer the critique. Parfitt was turgid in finals, twice using the footy at less than 50%

So this notion he was good can * right off. He was utter s**t against Collingwood (17 possessions at less than 50% with 6 clangers) and passable against the Lions.

Second person to defend a passenger like Parfitt trying to dig out Kolo. Who had two brilliant finals. Why get angry at Danger, Blicavs and Rohan, all played well this season, helping us get as far as we did. Brandan butchered the footy in 12/18 games. A common theme.

Yes that is right year of the cat 12/18 games he went at less than 70% and a lot of those were below 60% which is hilarious given a main gripe you’ve just had with Kolo (who I repeat played two great finals) was and I quote “- his turnover kick one of a couple of basic errors that halted our momentum”

Yet you believe a guy who has done that all season was good against Collingwood. Strewth.
You chose to start the convo, you know he's on my shitlist until he actually does something of note, then brought the subterfuge of Kolodjashnij into the debate, now getting upset over a tongue in cheek name because his mention doesn't serve the purpose you were after. He's actually played 2 good finals in 2020.

Parfitt has one okay final and 3 sh*t one's, albeit injured tonight.

He is in our underling mid group, our supposed 2nd tier behind the established 4-5. As such he spends more time at HFF and on the wing than contesting centre bounces. No problem you're probably thinking, Danger, Sel, Menegola, Guthrie and Duncan have been good to great this year? But what do players like Duncan, Sidebottom, Gaff, McCluggage as more outside than inside have in common??? Their use of the footy is generally above average to elite.

As it stands this season, Brandan Parfitt had disposal efficiency below 70% in 12 of 18 games, some of those (including 2 finals) were below 50%. That is in the realm of your inside mid bulls like Swan, Dangerfield, Macrae, Kelly, Treloar, Adams etc etc. Except he doesn't have the raw game breaking and game winning impact that these guys do and did have.

IMV he needs to drastically improve at one of those aspects. Either become a crisp user of the footy like Duncan and help us significantly with delivery of the footy (something we will need now Gaz has retired) or he becomes elite at accumulating the footy, clearances and contested possessions and joins that second group, taking the strain off Dangerfield and Selwood. At present he is in no man's land, merely getting praise because he tackles well, a stat derived from NOT HAVING THE FOOTBALL.

AFL Stats pro has tackling as his only category this season that was above average, none were elite, and the rest were below average or poor.

Sack up and argue what is levelled against him or rack off.

He was crap this season, he was crap in finals. He was not much chop in finals last year.

A grand final is an opportunity to win a flag. Win the flag and great. Don't win it and... all sorts of things can happen. GWS didn't make finals and are facing a mass exodus. Adelaide a few years on are a bottom side.

As I said going in, we've been in a real window for several years but it took us so long to get our act together and win two finals that this may have been our last shot with this group. Certainly you look at the group. Oldest GF side ever and late in the game they looked it. Ablett and Taylor are gone. Selwood has been fading the last couple of years, now Danger too. A number of others on the wrong side of 30. For how much longer can we steady the ship with trade-ins, FAs and state leaguers without having anything in the way of elite young core talent.

This wasn't a side coming into its prime on the verge of something. You don't come from this saying there'll be next year. It's a very old side which probably had one shot left, because they had missed so many beforehand. And they weren't good enough.
While some of that is true, I don't think your conclusion need necessarily be so gloomy. Ablett and Taylor will be gone. Cameron will enter and provide a second tall marking forward. Stanley will not be required to go forward. Blicavs may be required back in his best position as a key defender. We have a bunch of younger players coming along, Simpson, Close, Fogarty, Narkle, Clark, Esava and three first round picks. One hopes Henry and Parfitt will continuue to improve and while Selwood is past his prime, is still a good mid, Guthrie and Menegola are very good and Duncan is elite, they all have a few good years left. I don't think Danger at 30 is fading, he has had another great season.

I fully expect us to play finals next year and see no reason why we cannot contend again. You are correct though, a team can always fall down very quickly, as we did in 2012 and as the Crows and Giants have done.

That's a pretty tall order, especially against a rampaging Richmond.
I don't think anyone in the comp has those players.

Saying that, our backs became very static and reactive in the 2nd half.

It's ok for our defenders to beat their opponents 1 on 1 or just have them manned up, but when a heap of extra players run into the area with not .any chasing, it doesn't help.

Having said that, Blicavs, Kolo, Henry had plenty of deer in the headlight moments. Bews I never saw so he was either horrible or shut someone down completely, was he on Rioli perhaps?

Danger is like a horse sweating up, he gets anxious.

We had a lot of good performers in the first half who were invisible in the 2nd half. Only 2 or 3 I noticed cracking in the whole 4 quarters.

Not powerless, but the damage had been done by then. CS left Danger rotting up forward for way too long.

Danger is a MIDFIELDER, and our gun midfielder at that. He is a pinch hitter up forward, no more than that.

A gun midfielder who hardly touched the ball in the final quarter of this game or in the second half of the prelim last year. When he did get the ball he pretty much banged it forwards without looking. Complete lack of composure, and not for the first time.

If you listen to Scott's press conference, he said he discussed this with Danger during the third quarter while Danger was on the bench. They decided that if our players could get the ball forwards, he would have a good chance of scoring.

None of our other forwards could kick straight. Without Danger up there, it was too easy for them to double and triple team Hawkins.

Rohan couldn't even touch the ball. He is supposed to be our second forward but he is a liability when it matters. Surely he can't play another final for us.

The problem is we need two Dangers.

A gun midfielder who hardly touched the ball in the final quarter of this game or in the second half of the prelim last year. When he did get the ball he pretty much banged it forwards without looking. Complete lack of composure, and not for the first time.

If you listen to Scott's press conference, he said he discussed this with Danger during the third quarter while Danger was on the bench. They decided that if our players could get the ball forwards, he would have a good chance of scoring.

None of our other forwards could kick straight. Without Danger up there, it was too easy for them to double and triple team Hawkins.

Rohan couldn't even touch the ball. He is supposed to be our second forward but he is a liability when it matters. Surely he can't play another final for us.

Danger actually needs to be played off the wing when teams clog our forward line up gives him space to create, that being onball doesnt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking Miers and Blicavs is a key to how our coaching look at the team, imo.

Blicavs has played well in a back role, I'll give him that. And he is dedicated. Two B&F wins is a credit to him and his dedication, but an indictment on the club. Not team, club. Because its the club that lets the coaching do this. Blicavs has very limited football skills and nous. See him in the forward line (please don't!) and you can see it.

Miers is the opposite. He has nous and skill! As a small forward. And when he came here he really knew where the goals were! It is ironic his only goal last night was from outside the 50, bouncing in. I see him in the backline at times, and I'm wondering what tf is going on.

I think Scott thinks all he needs is several stars and a heap of foot soldiers he can move around on the board.

And Dangerfield. What the hell was that about? Play a slow cramping dull game, and you are wasting Dangerfield down the forward line. Danger is one on one down there, and thats it. Scott was playing a stategy to get it down there and keep it down there. Which is exhausting, and we now know can only last a half. All 36 players are down there rugby scrum style, and this absolutely kills the games of the big marking forwards we have. Dusty Martin did what he liked. When you are that good, thats what you should be doing doing. That should have been Danger, too.

We moved the ball slow, hugged the boudary line. No point having Dangerfield down there.

Difference between Scott and Thompson is Thompson's teams were already good enough and to a certain extent could coach themselves.. Scott seems to think he alone can coach the team to a grand final with his coaching tactical brilliance. Skills? We don't need no stink'n skills. When Ablett came back, his skill level was a reminder of what you could do with players if that was a priority. Train ******* skills into them! Years of it.

Scott won't change. You can see it in his face. He is our Ross Lyon. Very good coach. Great media nous. Can't give up control and let the players play, and will never win the big one.

Last edited:

The partial problem particularly is that then teams can shut down Rohan rather really easily when they have the ability to do so. Simply seems Richmond is one of those teams that can do this. Throwing a second and third tall though in the forward is going to mean that then teams will as a result not be able to focus on Rohan really right how Richmond did because he won’t be the supposed second forward. That is what was why Johnson and stokes seemed to be so effective years ago as actually they could be allowed to run somewhat free cause teams had to actually also concentrate more on Mooney, pods and Hawkins more

How does anyone convince Scott?.. who thinks his game setup is a masterstroke!
Someone needs to tell the guy the small medium forwardline hasn't worked, please change! it's not the answer!
Could you consider change please!

By saying the game was gone by 3/4 time I wasn't referencing the scoreboard, but the knowledge we were staring down a last quarter tsunami knowing we were powerless to stop it.

You could see it in their eyes, their body language, and their lack of belief. They were shot.
That's the thing last night that was most disappointing- just how quickly the hard yards of the first half were surrendered. 15 min mark of 3rd qtr when Tigers hit front you could see body language of players. They knew instinctively they were done.

Last night i was angry at what seemed like a throwing in of the towel without a yelp. In the cool light of the morning, its an acceptance Richmond are simply the better team.

The momentum of the game changed just prior to half time and was acknowledged by Scott,starting Paddy forward in the third quarter then discuss the decision while watching the game slip from your grasp and decide to leave him there was pigheadedness,and in the press conference post game what did Scott say when quizzed about it he said I think to much is being made of it based on the outcome.

I can agree with some of that, but to my mind, Danger is a midfielder, and nothing but.

Yes, put him forward, every now and then for short stints to throw the opposition, but he is NOT, imo, the guy you put forward for long stints. Doing so weakens our midfield too much.

Playing him forward last night was such a predictable move, and one the Tiger's would've gleefully anticipated. They made good on it too.

The only surprise was that he was left there so long.

Anyhow, it's yet another flag gone begging. Being a long time supporter has been a rich, joyful yet gut wrenching experience. Thankfully it's also given me perspective and tempered expectations.

It must be harder for the younger people who grew up thinking 7,9,11 were just the norm. Unfortunately, it isn't for the GFC.

50 odd years for just 3 flags. Sigh.

But there's always next year 😀

The signs began late in the second quarter and became more obvious (to everyone except the coach) as the third quarter went on.

A big bodied contested beast was just what we needed in the middle of the Gabba.

When does the Chris Scott thread open? I feel it's a bit like the Boxing Day sales with a hoarde of folks lined up waiting to rush in once the doors open. 😂

That's the thing last night that was most disappointing- just how quickly the hard yards of the first half were surrendered. 15 min mark of 3rd qtr when Tigers hit front you could see body language of players. They knew instinctively they were done.

Last night i was angry at what seemed like a throwing in of the towel without a yelp. In the cool light of the morning, its an acceptance Richmond are simply the better team.

Was it a mental surrender or were they cooked? Was a warm and very humid night. All the more reason to put them away in the first 15 mind of the second half. You don't feel tired with a spirit crushing lead

My other half is a rabid Hawthorn supporter, and the only team she hates more than Geelong is Richmond.

It was a weird experience hearing and seeing her yelling her support for the Cats last night.

But even she said 'Geelong is done' at half time, though she hoped otherwise. She went on to say she couldn't understand how people support the GFC when it so regularly lets you down.

Guess she's seen her team win twice as many flags as us in the same lifetime 😥

The momentum of the game changed just prior to half time and was acknowledged by Scott,starting Paddy forward in the third quarter then discuss the decision while watching the game slip from your grasp and decide to leave him there was pigheadedness,and in the press conference post game what did Scott say when quizzed about it he said I think to much is being made of it based on the outcome.

Is that what he said?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back