Strategy What is your teams ideal draft and trade period in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 17, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
Two weeks since my last post and still trying to come up with a way to stem the bleed.... the likelihood of band one compo for Danihar seems dashed (which we would accept) and Saad has confirmed he is off to Carlton.

Fagan seemed pretty committed in Danihar in his press conference last night and Lions will know they are going to need to trade for him as band 1 compo won't happen. Given Carlton hold the pick after essendon and brisbane hold 16 and 17 perhaps the 3 clubs should lock themselves in a room (zoom) and work out pick swaps that nets us pick 7 for Danihar and 16 for saad. And before Carlton fans start banging on about the PSD just remember Martin via the PSD last year was an anomaly rather than the norm.

Fantasia seems off to adelaide, reckon pick 29 would be fair if we slide our pick 41 to their 50 which they'll use to match on a bid.

If we can get to the front of the cue for Caldwell and Brown pick 16 and 29 could be the sealer for them.... with the inevitable later pick shuffling. If not them then Brodie/wright from GC would be a similar result, for lower picks obviously.

That would result in Danihar, Saad and Fantasia out for pick 7, caldwell and brown in.

Draft time.. from what I read O'Driscoll is the type/shape we're looking for in the midfield. Then just take the best player available with the other. those late pick can be used to match for Brand who seems likely to attract a pick in the 30's. Eyre seems likely to slide to the rookie draft

Trade
I hope we go after Preuss obviously, but if he goes (most likely to the Giants), I hope we take a punt at either Peter Ladhams or Sam Hayes from Port. Hickey is the worst possible option, not sure he'd be better than Sinclair or Aliir at the centre bounces.

A big bodied mid is something that is needed too, seeing as we most likely won't get one in the draft and Kennedy isn't getting younger. Riley Collier-Dawkins, Constable, and Sier would be my preferred options in order.

When it comes to who we could trade out, the big one on my list is Sam Reid. Wouldn't get a heap, but a mid to late third rounder would be helpful. Others who could be traded out with a wee bit of currency are Ronke, and possibly George Hewett.

Draft
So we're definitely getting Campbell and Gulden with bids between 5-12 for Campbell, and 15-30 for Gulden. Keeping pick 3 is great, any of McDonald *fingers crossed*, Tillthorpe, Phillips, or Grainger-Barrass would be very helpful for our list.

In terms of rookie draft, well it all runs in the family. Young Will Papley could end up being a clone of his brother. If Paddy McCartin does want to give it another shot with us, the rookie draft is where we'd probably grab him. Either that or a very late pick in the National Draft. Otherwise Sam Thorne is another Academy kid who could be useful. Was at least on par with Campbell and Gulden in the midfield in the few Academy games played this year.

Trade
I hope we go after Preuss obviously, but if he goes (most likely to the Giants), I hope we take a punt at either Peter Ladhams or Sam Hayes from Port. Hickey is the worst possible option, not sure he'd be better than Sinclair or Aliir at the centre bounces.

A big bodied mid is something that is needed too, seeing as we most likely won't get one in the draft and Kennedy isn't getting younger. Riley Collier-Dawkins, Constable, and Sier would be my preferred options in order.

When it comes to who we could trade out, the big one on my list is Sam Reid. Wouldn't get a heap, but a mid to late third rounder would be helpful. Others who could be traded out with a wee bit of currency are Ronke, and possibly George Hewett.

Draft
So we're definitely getting Campbell and Gulden with bids between 5-12 for Campbell, and 15-30 for Gulden. Keeping pick 3 is great, any of McDonald *fingers crossed*, Tillthorpe, Phillips, or Grainger-Barrass would be very helpful for our list.

In terms of rookie draft, well it all runs in the family. Young Will Papley could end up being a clone of his brother. If Paddy McCartin does want to give it another shot with us, the rookie draft is where we'd probably grab him. Either that or a very late pick in the National Draft. Otherwise Sam Thorne is another Academy kid who could be useful. Was at least on par with Campbell and Gulden in the midfield in the few Academy games played this year.
What do you think Ronke would cost? Just a few academy points?

What do you think Ronke would cost? Just a few academy points?
Haaaaahahahaha, well I'll try not to be too disingenuous :p

Anything above a fourth round pick I'd be ecstatic with. Surprised we didn't just straight delist him tbh

Haaaaahahahaha, well I'll try not to be too disingenuous :p

Anything above a fourth round pick I'd be ecstatic with. Surprised we didn't just straight delist him tbh
Pretty much, a pick in the 50's or 60's would be about the most we could expect. 50-150 points worth or so.
I'd be open to trading our pick 67, or a swap of later picks or something. We still need points for our two academy prospects later on in the draft.

I'd be open to trading our pick 67, or a swap of later picks or something. We still need points for our two academy prospects later on in the draft.
Yeah something like that sounds about right

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
Trade

Draft

Sier & Max Lynch for Aliir and pick swaps ?

Buddysback2021

Draftee
Oct 21, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I think your on the money with most things said..Campbell is a must i can't see him going any later then top 6 after that I think it's fairly open but top 6 looks clear I recon. his a gun going to be a star. I know gulden is a great talent but I'm not convinced that we will take him believe it or not only cause we have many other types of players & other positions to consider that we need. we are starting to have enough young players with speed so it will be interesting what they do. we need to start going after mature body's with experience to mix with the young talent that we already have. We can't put to much on our young players & expect them to carry the load. all the top teams have that mix you youth mixed with experience players. Mid: Players I would consider (sier, constable, Blakeley,) or even go as far as (Oliver,Treloar, Merrett,hunter) with possibly trading future draft pick & Reid if they don't go down that path I & go to the draft I hope we get Holland who's a classy skillful player who can do it all or the other one I would like would be Phillips big body tuff inside mid who breaks the packs with speed & gets those hardball gets. I think the ruck: is a must i would target Cox or Hickey. Forward: Would go after Hogan or brown. & Also pick up McCartin & papely in rookie draft...my 2021 team: B: rampe melican mills
HB allir McCartin Dawson
C: Stephens Lloyd Blakey
HF: Kennedy Franklin Heeney
F: mcCartin (Hogan ) papely
or (Brown)
R: (cox) Parker Rowbottom
Or (Hickey)
Int: From: Campbell, Heywood, McInerney,Hewitt allir, Gould, Sinclair,florent ........
So...ruck, full forward, & Campbell I would have as priority targets first then a mature age mid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 17, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
A couple of things are a little clearer.... Fantasia off to port and should get done in a reasonably straight forward manner..... one would hope, even if it's done late. Reckon whatever we get from Carlton for Saad moves to GWS for Cardwell.

Fantasia and 42 to port for 26 and 53.

Carlton 7 and 27 to Brisbane for 16 and 17.

Carlton move 16 to essendon who moves it onto GWS for Caldwell.

7 and 38 goes to Essendon for Danihar with 26 and 53 going back to Brisbane

Brisbane trade 26 and 27 to Bulldogs for pick 12 giving them extra points for JUH. Perhaps Essendon can throw 38 bulldogs way as well for Schache

In effect Carlton out 7 and 27 for Saad and 17.
Brisbane out 16,17 and 38 for Danihar, 13 and 53.
GWS out Cardwell, in 16.
Bulldogs out 12 and Schache, in 26,27,38 (exta 600+ points for JUH)
Essendon out Fantasia,Danihar, Saad and 42, in 7, Caldwell, Schache

Happy to slide pick 7 back to Geelong for 11 and 34.

Thoughts?

Instincts

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Melbourne:
Get: Ben Brown
Give: Pick 23 & Pick 47

Geelong:
Get: Shaun Higgins and 2021 third rounder
Give: Pick 35/36

Bulldogs:
Get: Pick 25, Pick 35/36, Pick 47 and Pick 65
Give: Pick 12 and 2021 second rounder

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
This could be a Win-Win trade for all clubs involved, and is achievable.

Essendon Caldwell - Carlton Saad
Port Fantasia and 42 (Ess) Bulldogs Pick 26 (Port) 27 (Carl) & 45 (Carl) (Plus 511 Points)
GWS - Pick 12 (Dogs)

Melbourne Pick 7 & 2021 first - Carlton Oliver
So that would be Saad, fantasia and 42 out for Caldwell. Not sure that's a win for us..... it's effective losing fantasia and 42 for nothing.

Port giving up 26 for Fantasia an 42 seems about right. Still think something comes back late to help us match a pick for Brand in the 30's. Don't see why we'd let 26 slide over for Bulldogs for nil return.

GWS scoring pick 12 for Caldwell would be a massive win for GWS. Still reckon whatever you stump up for Saad moved to GWS, they are roughly equal trade value. Similar contacts being offered, you know what you're getting with Saad versus slightly younger play who is largely being plucked on potential.

Reckon you'd be paying overs for oliver there. 7 and something between 7-11 next year for a ball winner but lousy kick is too much. If Dees put him on the trade table some between 5-10 would be the most I'd want to cough up.

Bulldogs will be happy with this. but can't see other clubs letting them gain an extra 500+ points for that first rounder

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
3x rd1 draft picks either traded for future rd1 picks or spent on draftees.

Our second rounder traded to any club for their future second. Maybe they need the points?

Extend any players that we'd usually consider dropping on a 1 year contract. If they make it recontract if not then select their replacement in 2021. Not much to be gained in replacing them in a draft where 1/3rd of the players are academy and similar proportion have no 2020 exposed form.

No large free agent contracts added in a year when cap is going to start going backwards.

If another club wants a player of ours it would need to be for 2021 picks.
I think we'll be looking to move our 2021 1st rounder, given we are very unlikely to be able to get in before a Nick Daicos bid. I'd be keen on Geelong's pick 11, which is most likely to be around 15+ when it actually comes time to use the pick in the draft. At least 3 academy players in top 10 and at least Zac Williams will trigger a Band one FA compo pick. I don't think Daniher or Crouch will trigger band one compo due to contract size. Jez Cameron contract will trigger band one but appears there's a bit to play out there whether bid matching/trade occurs.

I think we'll look to trade Tom Phillips. If we can secure a pick in the 30's, that may be as good as we could do. That'll likely end up closer to 40 then 30 given the number of academy kids and F/S's this year.

I think we'll be looking to move our 2021 1st rounder, given we are very unlikely to be able to get in before a Nick Daicos bid. I'd be keen on Geelong's pick 11, which is most likely to be around 15+ when it actually comes time to use the pick in the draft. At least 3 academy players in top 10 and at least Zac Williams will trigger a Band one FA compo pick. I don't think Daniher or Crouch will trigger band one compo due to contract size. Jez Cameron contract will trigger band one but appears there's a bit to play out there whether bid matching/trade occurs.

I think we'll look to trade Tom Phillips. If we can secure a pick in the 30's, that may be as good as we could do. That'll likely end up closer to 40 then 30 given the number of academy kids and F/S's this year.
You'd probably use it to match a McInnes bid anyway in part

Sep 28, 2006
QLD
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
LA Lakers,NE Patriots,Liverpool FC
You'd probably use it to match a McInnes bid anyway in part
We already have picks 35 & 37 for that but the theory would be to see if we could flip one or more of those 3 picks to the Swans for their 2021 2nd rounder to help us secure Nick Daicos in 2021. The Swans may be in need of more 'points' to secure Campbell and Gulden.

According to Cal Twomey, Reef is not likely to get a bid until the mid 20's so we'd have one of those picks and a later pick to hopefully clear the points owed on any bid.

We already have picks 35 & 37 for that but the theory would be to see if we could flip one or more of those 3 picks to the Swans for their 2021 2nd rounder to help us secure Nick Daicos in 2021. The Swans may be in need of more 'points' to secure Campbell and Gulden.

According to Cal Twomey, Reef is not likely to get a bid until the mid 20's so we'd have one of those picks and a later pick to hopefully clear the points owed on any bid.
If Essendon ended up with multiple first round picks I would be very disappointed if we didn't bid on him.

AFDogs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'll be happy if we just avoid bringing in any mediocre players and blokes with baggage. Probably best not to trade for players at all.

I think you guys are 1 or 2 seasons away from finals. However think you need a couple mature players. Marlion Pickett would be perfect for you. Keep Brayshaw, Cerra and Serong and you're set.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back