Autopsy Geelong defeated by Tigers by 31 points.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You what really makes me disappointed more than almost anything else (other than the obvious), Richmond just won 3 in 4 and back to back to eclipse our Great era. That's the second "dynasty" since ours that have been better, yet again you'd struggle to even suggest they were close in terms of talent and pure skill. Again, just cements the opinion that team under-achieved by atleast 2 flags (but I'll take the 3 regardless of course).
Kinda sums up being a Cats fan at times.
The league is different. There is two extra teams, and athleticism is a higher priority than footballing abilities.
It's impossible for any team to assemble the talent that we had in that era now.
And they wouldn't want to!
They couldn't run as many K's.
You can only beat who is there at the time, and every team now is more professional and trying as hard as ever.
They deserve their dynasty thing.

Key moments for me was Menegola fighting with the umps not manning the mark causing a goal.
Was the start of our intensity drop off.
Then Stanley missing a sitter that would of put us back to 15 in front.
Tommy then doing what never works for him. Played on too quickly and missed.
3rd time in recent weeks.
Henderson not bothered to get the ball out of bounds. Just zero lack of intensity.
In a close GF WTF??? Prestia goal. Game Finished.
yes that Hawkins decision to not take his time again. I mean he said he made that mistake weeks ago and then does it again. Dumb country boy moment again!

Key moments for me was Menegola fighting with the umps not manning the mark causing a goal.
Was the start of our intensity drop off.
Then Stanley missing a sitter that would of put us back to 15 in front.
Tommy then doing what never works for him. Played on too quickly and missed.
3rd time in recent weeks.
Henderson not bothered to get the ball out of bounds. Just zero lack of intensity.
In a close GF WTF??? Prestia goal. Game Finished.
Totally agree. It's a few tiny moments, each one a goal, and bang ... the difference. The easy focus, and the natural preference for Tiger fans, is on Martin and his goals, but for mine, these just as important. The Henderson not worrying about the out of bounds was a repeat of a final a coupe of years ago. He played well the last few weeks, but I really hope the balance is towards elite youth.

It's very clear that a significant proportion of our older players will find it impossible to improve next year, the demand that Selwood put on some premiership players a few years ago. Long hard looks at all of those in their 30s needed. Although our game style does not really reward it, I'd love to see an actual cohort of young picks - four or five top 40 players, ideally with 2-3 top 20s - to inject some of pace and confidence and flair that we have see in Port.

This current tigers team would’ve beaten cats 2007-11 probably 8/10 times. Game style very challenging. Just choke up the scoring.

Do you realise we lost 20 games between 07-11?? Do you really think a team is gonna beat us 80% of the time? Absolutely ******* ridiculous.

yes that Hawkins decision to not take his time again. I mean he said he made that mistake weeks ago and then does it again. Dumb country boy moment again!

He does it because he's lost confidence in his set shots from missing too many.

Even our best players are mentally fragile. You could never say that of Richmond.

Is this a joke?

Ablett went 07-13 averaging nearly 28 Brownlow votes a season before getting hurt and came back dominating in the regular season.

Are we now just acting like Ablett didn't seize moments or something? Go back and look at how good his finals performances were between 07-10. He was arguably BOG in 08 and 09 but one came in a loss. He regularly pulled mid-high 30 touch games with a goal out of his ass every final.

We forgetting "Cometh the moment, cometh the man" and many other moments he had?

Although I hate giving the Norm Smith to a losing team, Ablett was robbed in 2008. Brilliant game.
Even his last final for the Cats the first time was one out of the box.

Why are people so desperate to compare teams across era? Who cares if Richmond and Hawks have won 3. In 5 years I won't be thinking of the Tigers 3 flags, just like I don't think about that Hawks 3-peat 5 years after. But I still and will always reminisce and watch our 3 flags.

Thing is, we have to settle for 3 flags over a decade ago, and 'bragging rights' to our H & A record since then.

Someone like Hawthorn can brag of sustained GF success for nigh on the last 40 years.

That engenders more satisfaction, and a sense of fulfilment that we crave I suspect.

IF we are back playing footy in Melbourne next year, they will be even more intimidating. Their system and fitness is outstanding, and listening to Whateley interviewing their psychologist, she has made significant changes to that team, most notably Martin. He has gone from brilliant but erratic, to brilliant and ultradependable. They all play with enjoyment, and lack of fear of failure.
Thanks for that-very interesting. And sure their system is extraordinary but nothing lasts forever. They have had a good run, time they came back to the pack.

Do you realise we lost 20 games between 07-11?? Do you really think a team is gonna beat us 80% of the time? Absolutely ******* ridiculous.

I see what they are saying, different game, different tactics and that would suggest richmond would win (being defensive systems and structures that Cats team would never see).
However if you compare era to era, that Cats team would be 10 goals up half way through the second quarter every single time.

Is this a joke?

Ablett went 07-13 averaging nearly 28 Brownlow votes a season before getting hurt and came back dominating in the regular season.

Are we now just acting like Ablett didn't seize moments or something? Go back and look at how good his finals performances were between 07-10. He was arguably BOG in 08 and 09 but one came in a loss. He regularly pulled mid-high 30 touch games with a goal out of his ass every final.

We forgetting "Cometh the moment, cometh the man" and many other moments he had?
No it is not a joke. I’m not saying Gary isn’t a big time performer but Martin’s grand finals are something else.

The fu**?
I guess you can make an argument that Richmond’s game style ‘scales up’ well and will be effective against very good opposition.

But if Geelong’s side from yesterday played Geelong’s 2007 GF side the result would have been about the same as the 2007 GF.

Thing is, we have to settle for 3 flags over a decade ago, and 'bragging rights' to our H & A record since then.

Someone like Hawthorn can brag of sustained GF success for nigh on the last 40 years.

That engenders more satisfaction, and a sense of fulfilment that we crave I suspect.

Who cares? I was fine seeing 07. Let alone 07, 09 and 11.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s about premierships. Do you realize the cats went 21-1 in 08 and then lost the GF. They went about 55 games with about 2-3 losses. But one of them was a GF. Tigers meander through the home and away and then peak in September. Cats just won most games every week. Not about winning percentage. It’s about cups. It’s 3-3 so puts tigers at least on cats level. Stop living in a bubble!

No it is not a joke. I’m not saying Gary isn’t a big time performer but Martin’s grand finals are something else.

Dusty's GF has been great, don't get me wrong. But I think Bachar was a lot better in 2017 and set the tone for them to blow it out. I even think he was better in 2019, but 4 goals (in a 90pt win) will get the nod. It's like SJ winning in 2007, I thought Scarlo was better but we smashed them and the Norm could've been raffled to any player.

I think Dusty should have 2 Norm as it stands, at most. But 3 is amazing and good for him.

We were a better football team. But how are we going to run the game out?
Football is different in different eras.
Carlton now would smash Hawthorn of the 80's cause of coaching and fitness.
Even a ten year gap is way too long to compare teams now.

It’s about premierships. Do you realize the cats went 21-1 in 08 and then lost the GF. They went about 55 games with about 2-3 losses. But one of them was a GF. Tigers meander through the home and away and then peak in September. Cats just won most games every week. Not about winning percentage. It’s about cups. It’s 3-3 so puts tigers at least on cats level. Stop living in a bubble!

3-3 doesn't mean they're as good as us. Pull your head in, you're letting the recency of Tigers winning get to you.

Brisbane lost 04, they're still better than Richmond. They're better than the Hawks 3-peat too.

Do you think Geelong 07-11 wouldn't do what Richmond has done in this era?

unpopular opinion maybe but the 2008 Cats team is the best team I’ve ever seen

Who cares? I was fine seeing 07. Let alone 07, 09 and 11.

Fair enough.

But would you rather - having seen the GFC winning 3 GF's in the last 57 years, or winning 12?

The answer is obvious. It doesn't detract from our support of the GFC, but it does make you wistful, envious.

Word on social media is that Bachar Houli tore his calf about the same time Vlasutin and Gaz got injured yet played out the match. Gutsy effort if true.

We were a better football team. But how are we going to run the game out?
Football is different in different eras.
Carlton now would smash Hawthorn of the 80's cause of coaching and fitness.
Even a ten year gap is way too long to compare teams now.

Except I don't think our gameplan back then was archaic, compared to the 80s playing. We had players good enough to play now too.

Seriously, look at that team and our gameplan and tell me how it wouldn't work? We weren't unfit and we didn't have players who couldn't stack up to the modern game.

3-3 doesn't mean they're as good as us. Pull your head in, you're letting the recency of Tigers winning get to you.

Brisbane lost 04, they're still better than Richmond. They're better than the Hawks 3-peat too.

Do you think Geelong 07-11 wouldn't do what Richmond has done in this era?
Unfortunately they didn’t go back to back. So that’s another point to tigers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back