2020 Grand Final Thread - Richmond v Geelong - Gabba

Who Wins The 2020 Premiership? Margin

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Considering the 55 point turn around from midway through the 2nd quarter and the way that Richmond demolished GWS in 2019 it really puts our loss against them in 2017 into some perspective and in retrospect we weren't any worse than anyone else has been against them in the GF.

This is a truly phenomenal side that's arguably as great as Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn were during their dynasties.

Even though 2017 still stings, history now shows that we didn't sh*t the bed against a rubbish opponent

I've been saying that since the final siren blew. Welcome aboard.

Too late.
If you’re a midfielder, who wants to play only 20% midfield?
It wasn't too late, scores were practically even at 3QT. He went into the middle and had no impact. A true champion would have helped turn the match or at least even the contest

I find it strange that Geelong recruited Josh Jenkins and then never give him a game when they are crying out for more forward targets.
Couldn't have done worse than Rohan and I bearly saw Hawkins all game

JJ would have had at least seagulled a few goals in the finals series.

Cats missed a trick here. In hindsight, JJ over Rohan, clearly. Scott should have seen this.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
It wasn't too late, scores were practically even at 3QT. He went into the middle and had no impact. A true champion would have helped turn the match or at least even the contest
I’m not saying he’s a champion but I think he has a right to feel annoyed.
Who knows if he started in there he may have got into the game.
It’s very hard to get into the game in the last if you’ve not had much of it all game.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Considering the 55 point turn around from midway through the 2nd quarter and the way that Richmond demolished GWS in 2019 it really puts our loss against them in 2017 into some perspective and in retrospect we weren't any worse than anyone else has been against them in the GF.

This is a truly phenomenal side that's arguably as great as Brisbane, Geelong and Hawthorn were during their dynasties.

Even though 2017 still stings, history now shows that we didn't sh*t the bed against a rubbish opponent

And then add our lack of running power and flexibility due to 3 slow forward talls and 3 KPDs plus injuries. We could have done better with better selection philosophy throughout the year, but we were always going to struggle at the G on a warm day. Our coaches made it harder than it needed to be though. Like Scott leaving Danger up forward when they needed to win ground ball contests.

Oct 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m not saying he’s a champion but I think he has a right to feel annoyed.
Who knows if he started in there he may have got into the game.
It’s very hard to get into the game in the last if you’ve not had much of it all game.
Starting to wonder if he’s capable.

I saw king highlight how much time he was spending forward, supposedly to manage his minutes during the fixture crunch, which is fair. He just doesn’t seem to play much in the guts regardless now.

I understand throwing him forward, he can take a clunk and they have other mids. His kicking is so erratic though, I’d be putting him in the guts. Maybe they’ll go back to that with Cameron in the side.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

I saw king highlight how much time he was spending forward, supposedly to manage his minutes during the fixture crunch, which is fair. He just doesn’t seem to play much in the guts regardless now.

I understand throwing him forward, he can take a clunk and they have other mids. His kicking is so erratic though, I’d be putting him in the guts. Maybe they’ll go back to that with Cameron in the side.
Who knows maybe he’s not doing what they want in there, but for gods sake he’s a Brownlow medalist and a top mid.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

There was trememdous wrestle in the second quarter. We were breaking thier will. Betts was running into a loose a ball in the goal square and pulled off it. They went down the field got a nothing free in front of goal.

2 goal Turn around we never recovered or were allowed to recover from. Coach blamed the players effort, publicly.

Danger is actually a great kick around the ground and also at goal when there is little weighing on the result. Kicked a massive bomb from outside 50m during the season and great goal on the boundary vs the Lions last week, but not much was resting on those kicks.

Unfortunately for him the pressure of the situation hits him hard, its a massive flaw and makes it hard for him to be positioned as a reliable key forward.

You are correct, he can clunk a big mark and can crash packs. Its purely his mental side of the game that hurts his goal kicking, as he has the weapons to kick long and straight.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Age player ratings are a bit strange ...

Was I in some alternate universe where Geelong won the GF?

Dusty only gets a 9 for that? I'd be Spinal Tapping that rating system to 11 for what he delivered.

Last edited:
May 8, 2007
Eddie Betts Pocket
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeh. I don’t want him to win a flag and he probably won’t. Geelong are very similar to Port, trying to find those missing pieces.

Nah. Other than Gunston, no ex-Crow has gone on to win a premiership and there are a few who have left and got nothing. And I hope it continues.

Tyson Stenglein?

Tigers just crush you. They are so clean with their hands and smart with their disposal ... But ultimately they just run harder for longer.

Dusty is the best footballer I have seen. He epitomises what we should all love about AFL. HE GETS IT DONE. Hard, tough, skilled, powerful.

Not since Dane Swan have I enjoyed watching a player on another team that just imposes himself.

The cats have issues but jeez they have some talent. I wonder if Scott is the wrong type of coach for them? Maybe they needed someone like Ken ... Someone that lifts the team up, a motivator?

I know it is petty but I was happy that Dangerfield stayed true to form. He is not what people make him out to be. He needs more reasons to be humble.

Happy with the result. 2020 was made for the experienced teams ... Looking forward to 2021 already

Good comparison.

The Age player ratings are a bit strange ...

Was in some alternate universe where Geelong won the GF?

Dusty only gets a 9 for that? I'd be Spinal Tapping that rating system to 11 for what he delivered.

How was Bachar Houli worse than Gary Rohan?

Nov 24, 2007
DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant

Geelong scored very well for a team that got belted

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
He wasn't considering he played most of the game with a torn calf.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Good call. I should have been clearer, I was referring to those that left for money.

The likes of Bock, Davis, Tippett, Cameron, Lever, McGovern etc all left for $$$$.
I'd excuse Bock and Davis who left for money we couldn't match.

Back