Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

What a load of rubbish from Brown. Coming from someone who has no ambitions to be a senior coach.

Makes me laugh when these so called experts come out with these statements. Opportunities to coach an AFL team don’t grow on trees Browny!

If any of these coaches in waiting don’t have the confidence in themselves to coach a young team like North we don’t want them!!
I heard Browny and he is spot on. His mate Vossy was a great on field leader but was not ready for the challenges of senior coaching and he probably still isnt. Stay behind the scenes Vossy as assistant number 23 at Port.......yep good advice Browny.

I heard Browny and he is spot on. His mate Vossy was a great on field leader but was not ready for the challenges of senior coaching and he probably still isnt. Stay behind the scenes Vossy as assistant number 23 at Port.......yep good advice Browny.

Think Vossy might fit the Schimmelbusch / Bartlett mould.
Champion players. Shyte coaches.

agree, unless there’s a ready made afl coach like clarko or simmo. I’d prefer a successful coach from sanfl or wafl, and/or u18 who’s been around a while (40s?) Perhaps Vfl too. Recall Brady having a good relationship with sumich. Strong enough and with enough self belief to see off the media circus, stay the course, build the list and have faith in developing the kids.
The more I think about this the more I tend to agree that a seasoned coach who has dealt with success and failure is preferred to assistants who have grand aspiration and because they have come from a solid "system" that we assume prepares them for a senior role.

Brown was saying even if Voss signed a five year deal , the contracts are worded that the payout if he was sacked are only for 6 months . He was looking after his mate saying he would want a 5 year contract with no 6 month payout clause

Brown is an idiot, senior coaches do not have that clause, just assistants.

agree, unless there’s a ready made afl coach like clarko or simmo. I’d prefer a successful coach from sanfl or wafl, and/or u18 who’s been around a while (40s?) Perhaps Vfl too. Recall Brady having a good relationship with sumich. Strong enough and with enough self belief to see off the media circus, stay the course, build the list and have faith in developing the kids.

Sumich is stepping away from full time coaching and may be in the running for the (now part time) Claremont job

Now the reigning under-18s championship coach is warming as the favourite to take on the plum Claremont position made vacant when Darren Harris was sacked only days after taking the Tigers to the grand final.

Sumich quit as State 18s coach last week, saying he was prompted to leave by the WA Football Commission’s decision to make the job full-time.

“Given the role was moving to a full-time capacity, it didn’t align with where I am currently at with my family business and other pursuits outside football,” he said.

Claremont are set to appoint a part-time coach with significant cost-cutting meaning that no WAFL coach is likely to be paid more than $50,000 after existing contracts expire.

I can’t not notice it and it really bugs me. If I was on the panel choosing coaches the only question I would ask him is “do you always do that?” I couldn’t have him if he does.
Haha mate he probably had a cold because he doesn’t do it normally.

Saying that, he could fart the National Anthem every press conference if he brings me flags..

Brown was saying even if Voss signed a five year deal , the contracts are worded that the payout if he was sacked are only for 6 months . He was looking after his mate saying he would want a 5 year contract with no 6 month payout clause

Yeah it has to do with Browny calling out how unstable the coaching system is - ie why move from a stable position to another that might be cut from under you with little compensation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor bugger figured that dying of exhaustion from repeat efforts just came with pulling on the jumper.

View attachment 994689

Not so Schimma, that's why you're unique.
I think I have previously shared my dad got two pictures from Scotty Palmer for me, the one in my avatar & this one. In my stupidity I chose to keep the smiling photo as I thought it was the better looking image. Given the choice again I would go with the shinboner Schimma image every time. Just like Mordecai.

Last edited:
I can’t not notice it and it really bugs me. If I was on the panel choosing coaches the only question I would ask him is “do you always do that?” I couldn’t have him if he does.

Totally agree he is someone we should be talking to, big reason why port have really improved this year
Just cannot help wonder if he has been brought in to replace Hinkley?

Haha mate he probably had a cold because he doesn’t do it normally.

Saying that, he could fart the National Anthem every press conference if he brings me flags..

Would certainly make our media engagements more interesting

Just cannot help wonder if he has been brought in to replace Hinkley?

He absolutely loves Port so this wouldn't surprise me if there's a succession plan.

However, as giantroo pointed out to me, they have the option to take his son in this year's draft. He's more of a later/rookie selection though so it will be interesting to see what happens there.

Mitchell was my top choice last year. Nothings changed.

No idea if he is ready yet or if he's promised the Hawks job.

Wonder what Brady's relationship with him is like. Sam spent a year as a player and a year as a coach at WCE while Brady was there.

Mitchell was my top choice last year. Nothings changed.

No idea if he is ready yet or if he's promised the Hawks job.

Wonder what Brady's relationship with him is like. Sam spent a year as a player and a year as a coach at WCE while Brady was there.

Can see the same thing as with Schofield and Hinkley with regards to Mitchell and Clarkson
Both are earmarked as successors

I'm not.

Obviously we can't get him back and he did have his deficiencies as everybody does, but we may look back on it as a mistake in the coming years.
As most posters probably know i never yhought he was as bad as he was portraid on here but you cant go backwards to go forwards. So its Choco for me.

Vossy presents well And seems to enjoy the media I’m warming to him more. Has a lot more experience now to succeed

Sam Mitchell is still my number 1 if possible he just has that swagger and arrogance that I think we need
Gary Ayres to fill in until Jmac gets his cert four

Yeah same doesn’t seem to apply for BBB though ,,,,wasn’t it said he doesn’t fit into the new game plan (which I’m not entirely Sure what that was this year and even less so in 2021 and beyond) For a second round pick surely we are better off giving him a 1 year deal, back him in to kick 50+ and see what free compo pick we get. Ffs if #2 for a loose cannon like crouch has been bandied about them surely the situation isn’t too far gone to keep Ben at the club
His age would count against us getting a good compo pick back.

There's no way Brown would sign for one year.

If we've got worries on his form and knee issues then so does he.

he might do for 1 yr at 750, back himself in.....if his knee was bad, he'd have been in for substantial surgery,,,he had an arthroscope did he not? Have several of them myself, walk out of hospital, back playing sport in a few weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back