• Poll closed .

plentyblckie

Team Captain
Sep 11, 2009
plenty
AFL Club
Carlton
M
I agree with much of what you say, especially your point about being a simple game plan.
As I see it though, when it's a simple, basic game plan that really cannot be broken down any more, overcoming it can only happen if ots executed better, with better players who are invested to a greater level.
Maybe it's as simple as no list executes it better, or is more invested as the Tiges.

So its quite possible its a development, recruitment and mindfulness advantage as opposed to a coaching issue.
Maybe..but i go back to Bris who in the week off b4 finals changed their style around to try and exploit richs style which they did. 1 week.

M

Maybe..but i go back to Bris who in the week off b4 finals changed their style around to try and exploit richs style which they did. 1 week.

Anyone can pull off a 'one off' win. Any side can beat anyone if they are 'on' and the oppo are 'off'. I'd be more inclined to look at a larger sample size to dissect.

If Brissie do the same 4 or 5 games in a row against the Tiges, then you may be on to something.

Also, don't underestimate the Martin factor. He single-handedly brought them back from the brink. He is the best player I've ever seen with that ability.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Don’t fear the man who knows 1000 techniques. Fear the man that has practised one technique 1000 times. It’s a simple, no frills game plan that their players are drilled to effectively execute.
But what about the man who knows 100 techniques, and has practiced them each 10 times? Or someone who knows 10 techniques, but has practiced them 100 times. Or 5 techniques, and 200 times each?

Sounds like a lot of work. I'm going to have a lie down.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Anyone can pull off a 'one off' win. Any side can beat anyone if they are 'on' and the oppo are 'off'. I'd be more inclined to look at a larger sample size to dissect.

If Brissie do the same 4 or 5 games in a row against the Tiges, then you may be on to something.

Also, don't underestimate the Martin factor. He single-handedly brought them back from the brink. He is the best player I've ever seen with that ability.
Go close to being the best finals player I've ever seen, despite the fact that I hate him.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Not happy. Channel 7 and other footy Facebook pages are reporting at what a ratings smash and success the GF was, and Are pushing for the Night Grand Final is Here to Stay angle.

My worst fears are becoming a reality.

The early afternoon family and friends pre game BBQ was a tradition I enjoyed on Grand Final day ever since I was a Whipper Snapper, and now Channel 7 and Gil McClownFace want to take it away from me.

Not happy. Channel 7 and other footy Facebook pages are reporting at what a ratings smash and success the GF was, and Are pushing for the Night Grand Final is Here to Stay angle.

My worst fears are becoming a reality.

The early afternoon family and friends pre game BBQ was a tradition I enjoyed on Grand Final day ever since I was a Whipper Snapper, and now Channel 7 and Gil McClownFace want to take it away from me.

Hear what you're saying.. but to be honest, id lay naked on bitumen lined with thumbtacks under a midnight moon to watch a grand final if the Blues were playing.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Hear what you're saying.. but to be honest, id lay naked on bitumen lined with thumbtacks under a midnight moon to watch a grand final if the Blues were playing.

True, but what if you have a young family, esp one with Toddlers ? You certainly wouldn't be able to take the kiddies at that age to a night Grand Final (i would have thought)

Look if they had it every 2 or 3 season's, I think I could live with it, but getting rid of a day/afternoon Grand Final altogether really bothers me.

Who else is feeling flat today? I know I am. Just thinking this was us once and it’s now been far too long......can we get there again? Im not sure anymore.

What it's shown is that when a team does win one, unless its one out of the box (Bulldogs), more often than not they can contend for 3-4 seasons. Minimal changes to the list, seasoned campaigners and first dibs on quality free agents lends itself to this.
We have built our list the right way I believe. When we do contend, im confident it will be for a few seasons.

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep. Simple (yet proven to be effective) game plan. Boggles the mind that they’ve generated 3 premierships.

What's more is they seem to have come up with a game style that's very forgiving in that lots of things can go wrong for them and they can still win. Whereas with their opposition you feel like everything needs to go right for them for pretty much the whole match to get over the line.

It boggles the mind sometimes.

What it's shown is that when a team does win one, unless its one out of the box (Bulldogs), more often than not they can contend for 3-4 seasons. Minimal changes to the list, seasoned campaigners and first dibs on quality free agents lends itself to this.
We have built our list the right way I believe. When we do contend, im confident it will be for a few seasons.
this

Was it my imagination or did Dangerfield spend much of the game forward?
most of the 3rd quarter at least - cats board suggesting it was s**t coaching when you consider that's when richmond wrested the game back in the middle

Rustica

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Bull Racing F1
Who else is feeling flat today? I know I am. Just thinking this was us once and it’s now been far too long......can we get there again? Im not sure anymore.
"Can we get there again?" Is also my fear... I just can't trust the club yet.. I can't remember last time going to matches with my chest pumped out knowing the team we are playing is going to get battered rather its just "*, which Carlton team are we going to see today?"

I don't want to become another Melbourne...

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
most of the 3rd quarter at least - cats board suggesting it was sh*t coaching when you consider that's when richmond wrested the game back in the middle

That’s what I thought as well if it’s true.

He’s the only one who could match Martins power around the ball and they left him starving up forward.
Bizarre coaching.

Rustica

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 7, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Red Bull Racing F1
"Can we get there again?" Is also my fear... I just can't trust the club yet.. I can't remember last time going to matches with my chest pumped out knowing the team we are playing is going to get battered rather its just "fu**, which Carlton team are we going to see today?"

I don't want to become another Melbourne...
More on this point.. we are losing generational supporters by the year. Kids these days are fickle and don't like losing.. it's all about bragging rights and being part of something special.. You could say we had a decent span between 2010-2013 (best game being a kick away from a prelim) but pre and post those years have been absolute shambles

I'd rather we are good enough to beat them.

Adding Saad, Williams and maybe one more mid might at least make us competitive against them in round 1.
Can't see us beating them just yet. They are just too good all over the ground at the moment.

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Adding Saad, Williams and maybe one more mid might at least make us competitive against them in round 1.
Can't see us beating them just yet. They are just too good all over the ground at the moment.

I can.

I think we’ll win and win well.

I wasn’t particularly impressed by them yesterday.

Geelong s**t the bed.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
That’s what I thought as well if it’s true.

He’s the only one who could match Martins power around the ball and they left him starving up forward.
Bizarre coaching.

To be fair, I think Richmond would have won eventually, Geelong had a very aging list that simply ran out of gas in the end .

The thing that often goes unsaid or at least unsaid about Richmond and their success in recent yeats is that they have an amazing tank and athletic endurance, they generally finish off games a lot more impressively than how they started.
In last year's Prelim Final, Geelong also had a sizable lead over Richmond at half time, and got mowed down.

Richmond are not invincible, but you need a team of players with strong stamina and a coach who doesn't show all his cards early, Chris Fagan and the Lions proved this in the qualifying final.

May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
More on this point.. we are losing generational supporters by the year. Kids these days are fickle and don't like losing.. it's all about bragging rights and being part of something special.. You could say we had a decent span between 2010-2013 (best game being a kick away from a prelim) but pre and post those years have been absolute shambles
I'm sorry, but no, we're not. It bothers me when I see this said, as though children or 'this generation' are incapable of passion for the sport or a team.

We're not losing jack s**t. Richmond were s**t for 30 years, and lost no-one. Hell, they gained more than just a few. We have one of the best nascent supporter groups out there; there's a reason why our membership has grown under Liddle, and it isn't just because of membership autorenewal.

We need to keep plugging along, and be willing to cop a lot of s**t, just as we were when we started this thing.

Aug 26, 2004
CHANEL BOUTIQUE!
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
"Goddess"
Before half time ...

Wrap em up Num3ers.

Geelong are Premiers!

To be fair, I think Richmond would have won eventually, Geelong had a very aging list that simply ran out of gas in the end .

The thing that often goes unsaid or at least unsaid about Richmond and their success in recent yeats is that they have an amazing tank and athletic endurance, they generally finish off games a lot more impressively than how they started.
In last year's Prelim Final, Geelong also had a sizable lead over Richmond at half time, and got mowed down.

Richmond are not invincible, but you need a team of players with strong stamina and a coach who doesn't show all his cards early, Chris Fagan and the Lions proved this in the qualifying final.

Back