Review 2020 Grand Final discussion

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

What are peoples thoughts on a night GF?

Personally I hated it

Waiting all day to watch the build-up and then the actual game was bad enough as a neutral fan, cannot imagine how I would go if the Hawks were playing!

Just on the pre-game entertainmen, can we just do without bands playing?
Have the motorcade of retiring players etc, but to a soundtrack
Last night was horrid!

There is a reason the big bands don’t normally play the MCG, Gabba etc as the sound gets lost.

I also have no idea at all why anyone needs fireworks at a game of football.

Give me the standard 2.30 game every day of the week.

Lunch and beers with friends and straight into the game.

yesterday I spent half the day wasting money pretending I was some gun punter on the Cox plate and was pie eyed by 6.pm.

Does anyone know if Vlaustin was injured? Jeez the cats are dirty campaigners - sook for free kicks when the umpire is looking - snipe when they aren’t. Selwood showed his true colours last night. Again.

I had no idea who I was going to follow last night. It took about a microsecond before I decide * Geelong - whiny sooks.

They capitulated like the pretenders they are. Soft entitled cheats the lot of them.

Congratulations to Richmond. It is not pretty but Dusty makes it work. To think they almost traded him

His kicking sets him right apart from anyone else currently .
Kicks incredible goals regularly , very safe set shot or on the run plus is a very handy field kick.
That last goal he kicked from the boundary....

Honestly currently only Dusty has the required combination of brute force and pure skill to kick a goal like that (remeniscent of Garry Ablett Senior at his prime)

You say Clarko has level of responsibility for the current state of the game, but our style of footy during 2012-2015 was generally still exciting to watch and free flowing, as opposed to the rolling maul we see now. Or is it just my bias.

Clarko’s cluster started it.
He had the players to play an exciting brand at the time because other teams had not caught up defensively. Now that they have and everyone is doing pretty much the same thing with a tight Zone and press, rolling scrums and take ground tactics to get inside the forward 50 to then try to apply repeat scoring shots is just modern football. I think it’s pretty s**t.
I have always been a traditionalist but the game won’t change from this. It can’t.
you could revert to the 3 zones. Incorporate time out of zone tracking for penalties with the Player tracking they have now anyway. Have an ump monitoring this from a coaches box perspective. You could get rid of the 6-6-6 start to encourage half back, wing starts for running plays with the time out of zone rule applied. Give the coaches back their runners during the game rather that the post goal bullshit. I’m really on a downer about this. The game is ****ed and nothing will be done about it for a long time.

Does anyone know if Vlaustin was injured? Jeez the cats are dirty campaigners - sook for free kicks when the umpire is looking - snipe when they aren’t. Selwood showed his true colours last night. Again.

I had no idea who I was going to follow last night. It took about a microsecond before I decide fu** Geelong - whiny sooks.

They capitulated like the pretenders they are. Soft entitled cheats the lot of them.

Congratulations to Richmond. It is not pretty but Dusty makes it work. To think they almost traded him
Sums up my feelings nicely.

So the other guy who you would compare Martin's outstanding finals record to Leigh Matthews, the guy part of the best team of all time. This morning said...

"Martin is the closest to me, the Richmond side now would beat the Hawks three-peat and are better".
He also made a beautiful faux pas by saying "He must have ice in his veins". I did chuckle when I heard Leigh say that

The hilarious part of this is that the one answer they might have had, was left deep forward to watch it all unfold going the other way.

It's been said a lot in the press already, but that is a truly Brad Scott level faux pas.

On another note the incredible dilution of talent needs to be addressed soon, or we'll have eras of role players winning flags from now till a time where no-one will want to watch footy any more.

Dustin Martin and a few others excused from that. But in years gone by every team carried a few solid C and middling B graders through their eras of success. Seems to be more than a few have 3 flags now in the current Tiger's team.

Credit to Hardwick for coming up with a winning game plan. But boy o boy, it is tough on the old peepers.

Far out Dusty was good last night. Pretty much willed them over the line. Quiet early but they didn’t have an answer for him late.

The hilarious part of this is that the one answer they might have had, was left deep forward to watch it all unfold going the other way.

It's been said a lot in the press already, but that is a truly Brad Scott level faux pas.

On another note the incredible dilution of talent needs to be addressed soon, or we'll have eras of role players winning flags from now till a time where no-one will want to watch footy any more.

Dustin Martin and a few others excused from that. But in years gone by every team carried a few solid C and middling B graders through their eras of success. Seems to be more than a few have 3 flags now in the current Tiger's team.

Credit to Hardwick for coming up with a winning game plan. But boy o boy, it is tough on the old peepers.
Dilution of the talent pool can be remediate by investment at junior level, and money which there will be limits on has a part to play, but more importantly investment from parents to get involved is paramount. We need to make it more attractive and welcoming for them.

Dilution of the talent pool can be remediate by investment at junior level, and money which there will be limits on has a part to play, but more importantly investment from parents to get involved is paramount. We need to make it more attractive and welcoming for them.

That's a great point. It needs to be re-modelled at grass roots, and exactly as you say, be made more attractive and welcoming. A lot of young kids that I know from home, aren't drawn in by the old world culture of footy clubs anymore.

Richmond are a pretty ******* good team
Summed up by my cats mate almost crying yelling "******* at least play danger in the middle you ********" and storming off for 5m

Scott needs to go for them to have a shot. I thought a lot of the Geelong second unit did the heavy lifting and played well but the leaders shirked it. Ablett with 1 shoulder was at least trying

Gotta love the way this Richmond unit goes about it to be fair, i tend to detest them because of the supporters but the team plays a hard tough style of footy. They give 100% all the time and the only way the game plan works is if they do that. The buy in from the players is amazing to see.

They are not the most talented team of all time but they are one of the best coached.

Not to mention i love the fact they play on the edge, it is a little grubby at times but s**t happens. Gotta respect great teams and after last night they cemented them self as a great team.

Totally agree. Imagine how good it could have been to see Danger and Dusty going head to head, trying to win it for their teams. As it was the BMW was left in the garage while the Cats rolled out a few Ford Fiesta’s and a banged up Volvo missing a front wheel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree. Imagine how good it could have been to see Danger and Dusty going head to head, trying to win it for their teams. As it was the BMW was left in the garage while the Cats rolled out a few Ford Fiesta’s and a banged up Volvo missing a front wheel.
Absolutely this. I think the Cats should have put up a Dangerflog v Dusty matchup and adjusted elsewhere from the get go...

Absolutely this. I think the Cats should have put up a Dangerflog v Dusty matchup and adjusted elsewhere from the get go...
Exactly. But it just shows Chris Scott is a poor coach. Has had the talent there for a long time and hasn’t had any success. It’s a bit like the Leon Cameron situation.
Before anyone saying 2011, I would’ve coached that team to a flag.

Geelong completely choked. Were all over them and should've been 5-6 goals up at 1/2 time.

But even if they were, they sh*t the bed post half time.

As silly as this sounds, i don't think dusty gets the entire credit he deserves. Is easily in the Judd, GAJ, Buddy discussions of the best player of the past 20 years. That game last night is the single best game I've seen a player play in a long time.

I think the only way to beat Dusty is to put a full time "nasty" tagger onto him in the mould of Liberatore.
Someone who pushes the line of what is ethical / legal on the field , and is able to distract him.
Otherwise, forget it, he is at his peak and unstoppable.

I am no AFL Coach but it's not too difficult to see Dusty is the A++ of that Richmond team.

If Dangerflog is our A++ and is supposedly primed to explode (as per news coverage) .... well, we go head to head.
And I back the rest of my mids to beat theirs (I rate Mitch Duncan highly).

If we win I am a genius !! If we lose I blame Dangerflog...

Simples !! ( Dear North Melbourne I wish to apply ....)

Last edited:
I think Geelong showed Richmond up in the first half then got too comfy and rested on their laurels and didn't put in that first half effort until it was too late.
You've got to tag Martin. He hates being tagged. Shut him out and they would of been a lot further along in winning.

Just as a pointless thought exercise....
And keeping in mind SOME teams have a salary cap...

Who from Richmond would fit into the Hawks line up (like for like)

So, without much thought I will start... (by no means exhaustive nor complete !!)

1 of Astbury or Balta for a KP defender (replacing Chip).
Apart from that Defence isn't too bad (Sicily is back for this pointless exercise)

Dusty (replacing Shiels) (OK salary Cap may not work, so I have already stuffed it ... and I love Sheila too ).

3... Over to you lot !! (which small Forward... and TOB out for Lynch ??)

(Hmm, maybe we need GWS salary cap)

VLASTIN charged with faking Dangerflogs elbow to his head. MRO Michael Christian warned Vlastin this action is unacceptable & a poor look on the game, and contributed to Dangerflogs poor game

I think the only way to beat Dusty is to put a full time "nasty" tagger onto him in the mould of Liberatore.
Someone who pushes the line of what is ethical / legal on the field , and is able to distract him.
Otherwise, forget it, he is at his peak and unstoppable.
Exactly. There is no 'next week' during a GF game to worry about and the next season can bloody wait. Just be mean and nasty

Back