Game Day Grand Final thread

Can't believe our bunnies won the flag.

Richmond's only on a losing streak against four teams - only one of those teams made the finals, and two of those streaks are against us (I'm still counting that one game losing streak to the Bears).

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
[QUOTE
Tigers will continue to slide Lions will continue to improve (especially if Daniher plays well) . Next year we will move past them like the Bombers in 2001

Tigers are a very young team. There will be no sliding. We need to play our best 22 no matter the opposition, a decent injury run to key players and stick to a solid and repetitive set shot routine. GF are not a given and neither are prelims.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
The Tigers are the ultimate system based team IMO albeit with one out and out star in Dusty, their game plan seems quite simple ie. surge the ball forward at every opportunity whether by hand, foot, tap on or kick off the ground in attack and unrelenting pressure on the ball and man in defence, they trust their team mates to get that job done and it works.

It's a wonder a coach/team hasn't figured out a way to beat it.... yet.

The Tigers are the ultimate system based team IMO albeit with one out and out star in Dusty, their game plan seems quite simple ie. surge the ball forward at every opportunity whether by hand, foot, tap on or kick off the ground in attack and unrelenting pressure on the ball and man in defence, they trust their team mates to get that job done and it works.

They have an uncanny ability to draw the defenders in, meaning they always have an outnumber ahead of the ball.
This is where we did so well against them in the QF because we held our position and didn’t give them the spare.
It takes an unbelievably disciplined performance by the whole team to beat them otherwise they break you down like they did Geelong last night.

Pacman82

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
SMFC | Celtics

Our game style is somewhat similar atm, could be argued that we've figured them out & beat them at it really ;)

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it helps when they have so many dynamic players through traffic. Gives them confidence that in a 2 on 3 situation they can still win and then they have an extra on the outside to feed the ball out to.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it helps when they have so many dynamic players through traffic. Gives them confidence that in a 2 on 3 situation they can still win and then they have an extra on the outside to feed the ball out to.

They have the cattle to execute what would be for most teams a risky gameplan and above all they have extreme confidence that it will win out no matter how much it isn't working during the course of games.

AFLQLD

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
There are other teams?
I think people assume that the status quo will remain much further into the future than it often does. The reality is very much one in which teams go through phases, peaks and troughs. While Richmond seem very hard to beat right now it takes only small differences to produce quite different outcomes.

It is incredibly difficult to stay consistently at the very top and especially when age and salary caps are a constant factor to consider. Richmond have done well and may win again next year, but the differences between the top ten teams in the competition are not as large as the ladder would suggest. All eras come to an end inevitably. Something clicks for one team and they get to the top. Then something is five percent off and others can quickly overtake them the next year. Essendon were going to completely dominate the early 2000’s according to some pundit after their premiership season. Then along came the Lions - hungry, talented and increasingly experienced.

Ultimately the real art of being a multiple premier in an era is probably to stay up around the top for 5-10 years and take the chances when they come, in the years where everything falls into place. It is really what Hawthorn, Geelong and now Richmond have done, the Cats just never quite grabbed their chances like the others but they still might. West Coast generally do it as well.

What Richmond have done is to be consistently getting to the point of having a chance to win. One year they ran into Collingwood on a rare hot streak but the other three they went all the way. They were blessed with a solid base of experience, a system that is hard to break down easily (but can be done) and a finals player who delivers when it matters.

I think it is the secret for us too. You never know which year everything will play out in your favour in finals - a team is just on a hot streak when you come up against them, but the following year might be your turn. Good teams keep getting to finals and stay in the hunt as long as possible. Then it comes down to experience and finals intensity when it counts.

It might take five years, it might be next year, but if we are consistently up near the top, our time will come.

Mar 27, 2006
Bribie Island
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket Team
Same here.
The atmosphere was great. Maybe it didn’t translate across to TV but most people around us certainly enjoyed it.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
I loved the whole night, was a great spectacle on TV.

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Thought the pre-game and half time entertainment was really good at the ground...maybe it didn't look as good on TV.

Half time I thought was sensational. Probably the best entertainment I've seen at a final. Didn't go much on anything pre game

The game itself I really enjoyed. Shame it blew out

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Great teams win premierships and Richmond sure are that. But they have won three of the last four Grand Finals on the back of one of the best players of his generation and of the game full stop. It's not a ridiculous statement to say without Dusty the Tigers may not even be a top 4 side.

The Cats had that game under control late in the second qtr and then Dusty bobs up as he does and kicks a goal no one else could. That gave the Tigers a sniff right before half time and they dominated the second half on the back of more Dusty magic. Meanwhile Dangerfield was no where to be found and when he did get the ball he looked flustered.

Tigers harassing/ tackling and running both ways is where every club needs to be. They run harder for longer.

They kicked 13 goals last night without Lynch doing a thing.

We can be satisfied that we beat the best team of the last four years in a final. But we still have some work to do and I'm not sure we would have kicked more than 10 goals against Tigers last night.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We were robbed. Gill better remove that stupid pre finals bye which obviously cost us a shot at the premiership. We would have easily beaten that geelong side had we played more than 1 game in the last month and Richmond are not unbeatable for us anymore.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
We were robbed. Gill better remove that stupid pre finals bye which obviously cost us a shot at the premiership. We would have easily beaten that geelong side had we played more than 1 game in the last month and Richmond are not unbeatable for us anymore.

More salt than substance in this post to be honest.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
More salt than substance in this post to be honest.

You have to admit that playing 1 game in the past 28 days was an absolute farce. There was a reason why we looked off that night, and the statistical advantage of finishing in the top 2 and making the grand final dropped considerably once the pre-finals bye was introduced.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
You have to admit that playing 1 game in the past 28 days was an absolute farce. There was a reason why we looked off that night, and the statistical advantage of finishing in the top 2 and making the grand final dropped considerably once the pre-finals bye was introduced.

I hope they get rid of the prefinals bye but I think it’s pretty deluded to think we would have easily accounted for Geelong considering how well they dismantled us as well as beating Richmond twice (with the addition of Lynch the second time).

I am disappointed but we can’t kid ourselves by blaming the finals fixturing as the key reason. We have to get better again to be a legit flag chance.

Sausages

HIGH PRIEST IN THE TEMPLE OF GG/SNSD
Feb 27, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Luton Town
I think Winnie said it best:

Even though large tracts of Victoria and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Tigers and all the odious apparatus of Tigers membership, we shall not flag or fail. We shall go on to the last Saturday in September, we shall fight in Sydney, we shall fight on the G and Kardinia Park, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air up forward, we shall defend our three-peat, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the Adelaide Oval, we shall fight on Optus Stadium, we shall fight on the Gabba, we shall fight in Tasmania; we shall never surrender our three-peat to the Tigers.

Posted in advance of next year's GF - Lions vs Tigers.

Apr 4, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I hope they get rid of the prefinals bye but I think it’s pretty deluded to think we would have easily accounted for Geelong considering how well they dismantled us as well as beating Richmond twice (with the addition of Lynch the second time).

I am disappointed but we can’t kid ourselves by blaming the finals fixturing as the key reason. We have to get better again to be a legit flag chance.

Agree . In hindsight we spent our tickets in the Richmond game but still should have put up a better showing against Geelong . I don't think we would've beaten either in a GF. Need an up lift in our personnel and just more general toughness to see through a finals series .

I don't buy this we're in the box seat for a Premiership BS . Teams can improve out of nowhere these days . We need to stay on the path of continual improvement and strengthening our list as we have been . And even then we're still only one of a few genuine competitors for a flag.

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other than Dusty how many players from that Richmond team would get a game in our triple premiership team? Probably Riewoldt or Lynch ahead of Bradshaw as well but not many others if any.

youneverknow22

Cancelled
Oct 9, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other than Dusty how many players from that Richmond team would get a game in our triple premiership team? Probably Riewoldt or Lynch ahead of Bradshaw as well but not many others if any.

Grimes would probably get an interchange spot. Maybe Balta as well considering our 3 peat team struggled finding a consistent ruckman

Back