Game Day 2020 AFL Grand Final Discussion - Richmond vs Geelong @ GABBA (24/10/20)

Who wins?

• Richmond

Votes: 25 75.8%
  • Geelong

Votes: 8 24.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Long service leave after 11 years I guess. I don't know whether the other Richmond coaches brought their wives/partners/families up to the hub, but Dimma several times last night talked about being away from his wife and family for over 100 days and that he really missed them, and missed them not being part of GF day and week like the other 2.
Poor Dimma

He didn't mention Mrs Hardwick, in his speech last night like he did in 2017 and 2019.

With three Jock McHale Medals around his neck he might be keen to give the Ewan McGregor marital seachange a spin.

Harlott

Premiership Player
Jul 5, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Watching last night, and our game last week against Richmond, besides their system and having a great side what sets Richmond apart from Geelong and us in tight games is they have Dusty and us & Geelong don't.

He was the difference between us and them last week, in big moments he kicks the big goal or sets one up, or last night he turned the game from late in the second quarter and put his side on his back to lift them for the second half.

He's the difference, in big finals Richmond know if the chips are down Dusty will lift and the others will follow. He almost has the Michael Jordan aura about him now in finals. For me he's the best player I've seen play the game, especially in big moments and games. Credit to him.

There are other factors obviously with why us & Geelong lost, but for me Dusty is the single difference as unlike ours and Geelongs stars who bungled their moments, Dusty seizes his. That's a special talent there.

I hope Rozee can develop into our version of Dusty as I think he has the closest skill set, but will depend if he has the mindset of Dusty I'd like to think Rozee does.
All of this 👍. The guy kicked that goal in the second to get them back to 15 and you knew it was the trigger for his teammates.

They never even interviewed him I don’t think

It’s probably a gross generalisation given all those guys were highly-rated and worthy of where they were picked at the time, but Watts/Scully/Trengove seem to fit the Melbourne profile, whereas Martin and say, Naitanui don’t.

Jul 7, 2007
Ziggurat City
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
LUFC, Patriots

What happened to the rule that said players have a duty of care so if they go in with a raised arm and injure a player it doesn't matter if it was an "accidental football collision", they'll still be rubbed out?

I must have missed the part where Vlastuin got up and played out the game.

With three Jock McHale Medals around his neck he might be keen to give the Ewan McGregor marital seachange a spin.
Nah - on the dias he talked about his wonderful family back home, their love and support, then talked about all the people left behind in Melbourne. In both 2017 and 2019 on the dais he thanked "Mrs Hardwick," who was just a few metres away. In his pressers he regularly referred to "Mrs Hardwick" for years.

What happened to the rule that said players have a duty of care so if they go in with a raised arm and injure a player it doesn't matter if it was an "accidental football collision", they'll still be rubbed out?

I must have missed the part where Vlastuin got up and played out the game.
Yeah the MRO had better make a bloody clear distinction why he was allowed to protect himself, because in the past if players brace for a bump to protect themselves, they can't plead that because they have a duty of care to the other player before one to themselves.

PropertySteward

Senior List
Mar 13, 2015
Proudly Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah the MRO had better make a bloody clear distinction why he was allowed to protect himself, because in the past if players brace for a bump to protect themselves, they can't plead that because they have a duty of care to the other player before one to themselves.
"The incident between Geelong Cats' Patrick Dangerfield and Richmond's Nick Vlastuin from the first quarter of Saturday's game between Richmond and the Geelong Cats was assessed. The ball is loose. Vlastuin and Dangerfield approach the ball from opposing directions. Dangerfield punches the ball and in the process makes high contact to Vlastuin. It was the view of the MRO that Dangerfield's actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken."

That "assessment" raises more questions than it answers. Can the MRO define what they consider "not unreasonable"?

It’s probably a gross generalisation given all those guys were highly-rated and worthy of where they were picked at the time, but Watts/Scully/Trengove seem to fit the Melbourne profile, whereas Martin and say, Naitanui don’t.
Was exactly that his dads background and because dusty wasn’t a private school boy/dropped out of school to get a job

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
"The incident between Geelong Cats' Patrick Dangerfield and Richmond's Nick Vlastuin from the first quarter of Saturday's game between Richmond and the Geelong Cats was assessed. The ball is loose. Vlastuin and Dangerfield approach the ball from opposing directions. Dangerfield punches the ball and in the process makes high contact to Vlastuin. It was the view of the MRO that Dangerfield's actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. No further action was taken."

That "assessment" raises more questions than it answers. Can the MRO define what they consider "not unreasonable"?

They also need to explain why the ball being 'loose' is suddenly a mitigating factor. So from now on a player with his head down trying to gather a 'loose' football gets hit high and there is no case to answer ? That is of course until a Port Adelaide player is doing the hitting.

Dangerfield does not hit Vlastuin in the process of punching the ball. He punches the ball and maintains his high arm position.

And they wonder why this kind of behaviour has crept into the game of late. It'll be only when one of our players faces a similar charge that the AFL decides it's time to make a stand.

They don't even try to pretend the Vic bias doesn't exist.

Yep, they will wait until one of our guys does something. Victorian bias.

Jun 19, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hardwick wins 3rd flag in 4 years.

Hinkley is named Coach of the Year.

2020 is a shitshow.

Who votes on that s**t?

My guess, Rucci. Whateley, Kane Cornes.

Who votes on that sh*t?

My guess, Rucci. Whateley, Kane Cornes.
Other coaches.

BornPort

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2011
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Long service leave after 11 years I guess. I don't know whether the other Richmond coaches brought their wives/partners/families up to the hub, but Dimma several times last night talked about being away from his wife and family for over 100 days and that he really missed them, and missed them not being part of GF day and week like the other 2.
When does Hinkley have long service leave? That might be our best chance to win something.

Back