Game Day All things 2020 GF

Remove this Banner Ad

It was a clear trial run for a night GF.

They’ll look at ratings numbers and that’s that.

All for the almighty $$$.

The media has McLachlan over a barrel because of the Covid pandemic and will ram home the advantage via their agents. McGuire for starters.

These idiots don't understand that this is a "sport" first, and a "spectacle" second. The further it gravitates towards "spectacle", the more it becomes "sports entertainment".

Last edited:
When we beat them in the 2015 EF and got close to a granny, you'd think, we're on the way up, a flag shouldn't be too far away. They didn't even make the finals the following year.
Now 5 years later, they've won 3 of 4 flags, we've missed finals the last 4 years, and are currently at rock bottom starting a complete rebuild.

Sigh.
We are not starting a complete rebuild.

We already have Jy, LDU, TT, Larkey, Zurhaar, Bailey Scott, Curtis Taylor, Flynn Perez, Jack Mahoney, even BMac (tho he was drafted five years ago), Xerri, Hayden and Bonar (who could make another very good long kicking HBFer) who have all shown something (some have shown lots,) at AFL level. We also have Comben, possibly McGuiness and this year's draftees to add to that group. And possibly Will Walker and EVW as well.

That is over 18 players already. The first five are already there. Good chance at least four of the next eight also make it, and it wouldn't surprise me if all eight played at least 50-100 games. That may seem like a high success rate but over the last five or six years we've moved on a few draftees too.

We might have just started this rebuild but shouldn't we also be halfway thru it?

But I Hear you.

WTF happened?

It's as much a positive as negative if you look at where we are today - things can change.

Would have thought this has more to do with the fact that there is nothing else to do in most of Victoria.

Correct.

But the AFL won’t care to provide any context to the figures.

All they’ll see is $$$$’s being waved in front of their face by the networks.

The funniest part is that there would be three fifths of two thirds of * all people who watch for the ‘entertainment’. However, that seems to be the key driver to have a night time GF so that the ‘fireworks and light shows’ have the greatest impact.

An absolute farce.

It's as much a positive as negative if you look at where we are today - things can change.

Would have thought this has more to do with the fact that there is nothing else to do in most of Victoria.
Yes to both of those things.

WTF happened?

Power dynamic within FD shifted with the movement of Joyce into a power position.

Coupled with a deeply flawed recruitment strategy of throw money they will come.

A situation he arose where accountability went out the window with Scott phoning it in with no repercussions.

This rot needed to be cut and we've done that.

I understand you weren't actually asking the question. I have to believe there are brighter days ahead of us. Because as you've pointed out were not at zero. We'll be down again next year and will add some more talented kids.

If by the mid 20s were not an entrenched top 4 side the admin have failed.

Team like W.C. would be kicking themselves. Not good enough '15. Won it '18. Screwed up last 2 years by losing un-loseable games on their own dungheap.
v. Hawthorn in a h&a to finish top 4. By a point to Pies team with Mason Cox in it.
They were reamed by big cox?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those numbers in NSW and QLD may be the clincher.

Maybe VFL GF at 2 in the daytime but the GF will be at night.
No ******* way.

It's a terrible time and look.

All it caters for is corporate media greed.

Footy fans will and do watch the afternoon game.

Does Channel 7 even have a HD channel ? i have a Smart tv, National Broadband WiFi, Satellite dish for Foxtel IQ4, Channels 2, 9, 9 Gem, 10, SBS all available, but no Channel 7, have rescanned numerous times but nada, last nights telecast in SD complete with ad breaks for every goal was hard to watch.

Does Channel 7 even have a HD channel ? i have a Smart tv, National Broadband WiFi, Satellite dish for Foxtel IQ4, Channels 2, 9, 9 Gem, 10, SBS all available, but no Channel 7, have rescanned numerous times but nada, last nights telecast in SD complete with ad breaks for every goal was hard to watch.

It definitely does. Try a manual scan?

Power dynamic within FD shifted with the movement of Joyce into a power position.

Coupled with a deeply flawed recruitment strategy of throw money they will come.

A situation he arose where accountability went out the window with Scott phoning it in with no repercussions.

This rot needed to be cut and we've done that.

I understand you weren't actually asking the question. I have to believe there are brighter days ahead of us. Because as you've pointed out were not at zero. We'll be down again next year and will add some more talented kids.

If by the mid 20s were not an entrenched top 4 side the admin have failed.
Honestly... Throwing shitloads at Dustin Martin was not a bad idea at all.

The rest of it was crap but that wasn't. He will go down as one of the all time greats.

Also.... Maj not doing his thing at the 2018 would have made a massive difference too. Still think we'd have gone okay that year. You can't seperate the poor start from Maj IMO. And with a virus and injury free year we would have done okay too.

But games 3 - 5 exposed the list IMO. Six players from those three games are gone. Not including Higgo.

I think we are definitely better off where we are now for all of that tho.

Danger doesn't bother me as much as he does some on this board, but I'm genuinely surprised he got off at the MRP.

Punched the ball, dropped his arm, re raised his arm, collects opposition player in jaw, knocking him clean out.

Protected species.

Honestly... Throwing shitloads at Dustin Martin was not a bad idea at all.

The rest of it was crap but that wasn't. He will go down as one of the all time greats.

It was a great idea. Imagine if Martin came? How many finals would we have played in the last three years? Who would be our coach now? What other players would have wanted to come? What would the Tigers be like? That's what "Sliding Doors" means Barrett you Muppet.

The flaw, as was often the case with Scott was there was no Plan B. Martin never signed so, what next? Nothing just go to the draft with the picks we 'earned. No aggressive trading. No thought to get a better hand in the first round. Nothing. And to keep the movie title analogy going, Groundhog Day was making the same mistake with Gaff the next year.

The lack of creativity in list management in those years was criminal.

Sacrifice needed by Cats last night.

Menegola. Everywhere Dusty goes you follow him.

Martin is too good to be tagged when he's on.

Fyfe the same.

Doubt would have made a difference Hoj.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back