Analysis Geelong 2021 - contenders or a decline

Remove this Banner Ad

I do understand that there are several examples in the current generation of teams making a grand final then disappearing for a bit so there is a kind of precedent but geez anyone would think the Cats just won the spoon.

We beat 16 other teams for the right to play last night. For half a game we were beating the 17th.

It’s not the end of the world and shows we are close

And then the veterans compensation,
Im not fully across it.
Is it 10 years at a club and 30 or over and only half the salary is declared?

Geelong need a General in Def and I dont think its Henderson or Biclavs.
There was Dusty’s third goal the ball was on the point of the square and Biclavs left Dusty to guard grass behind him.
I know its the modern game but its Dustin Martin.
I couldnt believe he did that.

Im not fully across it.

There was Dusty’s third goal the ball was on the point of the square and Biclavs left Dusty to guard grass behind him.

I could.
He's an athlete first and footballer second.
Has no instinctive bone in his body.
Perfectly suited to the modern game but simply not the type of player who can be relied upon in big games such as finals.

Im not fully across it.

I said the same thing (with a whole sequence of expletives) at the time.

Stewart is the man.
He’s a similar player to Tom Harley but a lot better. I would have no problem with him being captain. He already kind of controls the back 50 anyway but making it official would elevate him again.

They should be top 6, but they're also carrying a lot of older legs who could impact their finishing place if for example Selwood or Dangerfield have a couple of niggles during the year.

Fair chance that we look back on them at the end of 2021 and say that they've had 2-3 players who needed to be retired. Not looking at anyone, Taylor

Guess we’ll have to see how deflating last night winds up being to the older brigade of players they have that arent retiring..

Will dangerfield, Hawkins, selwood etc etc be even hungrier next year because of last nights defeat? or will father time coupled with a loss of hope and determination take over and these older player will instead just go through the motions for whatever remains of their careers?..

i believe that this is in part responsible for the crows decline.. players like tex, sloane, talia etc just took the loss in 2017 way too hard and have since just seemed to be playing out what remains of their careers, pocketing the coin and going through the motions resigned to the fact they wont end up with a premiership medal..

we’ll all find out next year..

Wonder if the crows will try do some sort of pick swap for geelongs first round draft pick next year.. they greatly benefitted from doing one with last year ‘s GF loser!..

They should be top 6, but they're also carrying a lot of older legs who could impact their finishing place if for example Selwood or Dangerfield have a couple of niggles during the year.

Fair chance that we look back on them at the end of 2021 and say that they've had 2-3 players who needed to be retired. Not looking at anyone, Taylor

The biggest problem with Taylor is that he has looked past it for some time, then he will come out and absolutely blanket a gun key forward and it keeps him in the frame. He even did it last night for most of the match

Although they managed through a lightning season pretty much entirely injury free (minus Stewart at the beginning) it will be a huge feat to overcome a full season of full length games with their old (and best) players fit and firing well enough to win on the final day.
An aging list doesn’t have a blessed run with injury for a whole season like they did this year very often.
In saying that- I was certain they’d drop off this year after losing Kelly last year and they came back stronger.
with Jez and Higgins on board next year it will really be last chance saloon- the pressure of the impending cliff will play a pretty big part I’d think and could either galvanize them to a flag or watch them buckle and bow out with a whimper.

Although they managed through a lightning season pretty much entirely injury free (minus Stewart at the beginning) it will be a huge feat to overcome a full season of full length games with their old (and best) players fit and firing well enough to win on the final day.
An aging list doesn’t have a blessed run with injury for a whole season like they did this year very often.
In saying that- I was certain they’d drop off this year after losing Kelly last year and they came back stronger.
with Jez and Higgins on board next year it will really be last chance saloon- the pressure of the impending cliff will play a pretty big part I’d think and could either galvanize them to a flag or watch them buckle and bow out with a whimper.

Again, you may be right but that cliff has been impending since prelim weekend 2010. Why is replacing the old guys we currently have going to be any different to replacing the old guys we used to have?

Again, you may be right but that cliff has been impending since prelim weekend 2010. Why is replacing the old guys we currently have going to be any different to replacing the old guys we used to have?
Because I think those old guys are the very heart and soul of what Geelong have been for the last 13 years.. What Selwood, Danger, Taylor and Hawkins especially bring can’t be counted with stats- they are proven winners their whole careers and have ‘it’.

You probably don’t watch the NBA, but I saw it following the San Antonio Spurs for 16 years- Tim Duncan was irreplaceable. Not for his stats or what he necessarily brought on the court, but his competitive spirit and leadership. I feel the same way about Selwood especially. Despised by oppo supporters, but everyone would love to have him in play for their club. A guy you’d want in the trenches with you.

If they get Cameron (28 next year) & Higgins (33 next year) then you would think they'll be Top 4 again, but the cliff they are approaching with an aging list will be one of the biggest in AFL history. They'd want to win a flag from this push as they will be in a lot of trouble once these older players start dropping off.

With their recruiting team, if they can hold on to some of their 3 first rounders they should be fine going forward..

There really is no timeframe on these things i think its incredible how much value you get from your veterans year in year out.

Perhaps the shorter season and quarters benefited your side.

Its unfortunate you ran into Richmond again i know the saying you gotta beat the best but if you can avoid them thats the second best thing.

The Kardinia Park factor always comes into it. You can bank most home wins there, and then jag a couple at the G, and there's your finals spot.

Cameron cancels out the loss of Gaz and Taylor. Plus having to trade out 2 firsts to get him may also hurt.

Big trade period coming up. For all clubs really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Kardinia Park factor always comes into it. You can bank most home wins there, and then jag a couple at the G, and there's your finals spot.

Cameron cancels out the loss of Gaz and Taylor. Plus having to trade out 2 firsts to get him may also hurt.

If we are a good side we win at Cat Park. If we aren't we don't.

Problem as I see it is they’re still playing under the same coach.

Got the sme problem as 16 other clubs....how do we get by Richmond?
Things change. Hunger, form, injury.. easy to forget how essendon 2000, Brisbane, Hawthorn and even you guys looked unbeatable at stages. As good as they’ve been it only gets harder from herein out for the Tigers.

2011 was an inherrited team. Like Longmire and 2012. Judging Scott on what he has done since then, he isnt winning a flag.

Its been the same theory as Clarko and Hawthorn except we 3-peated.

So what about Buckley in 2011? I dont disagree with what youre saying though just that may be more than just inheriting a flag capable squad.

They'll make the 8 quite comfortably just on experience, home ground advantage and player acquisition. Possibly top 4 but too early to call.

So what about Buckley in 2011? I dont disagree with what youre saying though just that may be more than just inheriting a flag capable squad.
With the cats though they’d already won two flags with a seasoned core, were primed for another and had a winning culture set in stone. Who knows how much of a role first year coach Scott played in the win but when it comes down to it, it was probably the easiest ever assignment for a first year coach- keep things ticking along as they are and don’t * it up.

With the cats though they’d already won two flags with a seasoned core, were primed for another and had a winning culture set in stone. Who knows how much of a role first year coach Scott played in the win but when it comes down to it, it was probably the easiest ever assignment for a first year coach- keep things ticking along as they are and don’t fu** it up.
They'd just been flogged in a PF, lost their coach and their best player as well. How come Buckley didn't win with Collingwood in 2012?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back