grand finals are going to be night from now on

Remove this Banner Ad

100% it will happen.

Which I vehemently disagreed with. Of course it was going to rate its socks off when the entire heartland of footy is locked down.

The experience of the day wasn't as good and added nothing to the spectacle.

As usual the AFL will go ratings over fans though.

Ratings being real human people actually watching the game

Ratings have been up all year due to shorter games and the largest market being in their own homes all year.

‘Up 33% on last year’
But last year was the lowest rating GF for years
2020 - 3.8mil
2019 - 2.9mil
2018 - 3.4mil
2017 - 3.5mil
2016 - 4.1mil
2015 - 3.5mil
2014 - 3.7mil

It fits right in with the rest.

10% higher than any grand final not including the Swans

Weirdly, I felt like it wasn't what is was meant to be.

The positives of a night grand final didn't really emerge. It didn't rate high enough to be significant, despite Melbourne being locked down (how many of those extra viewers would normally have been at pubs and not counted?). The entertainment wasn't better because of the night. The atmosphere wasn't better.

But the negatives didn't really emerge as I expected either. The footy was pretty clean despite the wet and dew/lights didn't seem to impact. IT still felt like a grand final, and the match itself played out pretty normally.

Two other things to note: Firstly: the 'day' itself really felt different, like a massive let-down, and not just due to COVID/lockdwon. Grand final day has such a build-up - from the tv marathon, to the breakfasts, to TV coverage, to pre-match entertainment to the game, to the post-match which then flows into the evening. The night grand final lost this - the morning and pre-match stuff felt really disconnected, the day dragged on, and afterwards it was just... done. Time for bed in our house. For youngies - there's something special about being out on the town post GF, and I'm not sure that's the same if that only starts at 11pm.

Secondly: the entertainment WAS better, but in a way that confirmed my previous belief that what really 'works' for stadium enteratinment is never going to be a Super-bowl style half-time show or massive international acts, but a return to the 'corny' kids with streamers/balloons, cheesy music, and a more genuine Aussie celebration. The lanterns or whatever worked alongside a good Aussie act, not because of the night-time but because it was just a far more local 'community' (not sure htat's quite the right word?) performance.

I'd always thought a night GF was inevitable, and tradition was about the only thing holding it back. I have to say I was very wrong - I really hated the night aspect and I hope it goes back...

Given the circumstances, those numbers are woeful.

I'm pleasantly surprised tbh.

Not surprised however that channel 7 are trying to spin it.

Half the BS Gill and the likes say to fans is spin. A sales pitch supporting the decisions they made. Letting the truth or common sense come into any public discussion is a secondary thought.

The night-time Grand Final was a nice change-up and good adaption, it was suited for the circumstances going on now, but those same circumstances is why the viewership was up. We've finally experienced it, and had a Grand Final outside of Victoria - but lets just leave it there now. There's no way this should become the new staple. Let us (hopefully) return to normality next season.

Absolutely hated it being at night. Felt like any other throwaway night game.

I'm quietly confident we might see a 3:30 Or 4:10 start in future though. That would be a happy medium I could probably accept.
What does 4:10 get us?

Honestly feel that there's a black spot which is crap for a gf.

EIther go for the day scenerio (no later than 3:30)
or go for late enough where the halftime show is at night (so no earlier than 6:00)

Playing inbetween gives us the negatives of night without the positives.

You should be able to go for a celebratory pot and parma/i/y/o straight after the game. 10:30 - 11 PM finish is way too late.

Bounce the ball at 5 PM, Gill can have his glowing half-time balls at dusk and I still have time for a post-game meal.

It should also be interstate every four years - if we are serious about it being a national competition.
Im thinking every 2 years

MCG can have it during the day
While everyone else can have it timed for night footy on the east coast (Which most prefer........except maybe those from Perth who hate the twilight game which it forces upon them)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IT still felt like a grand final, and the match itself played out pretty normally.

Two other things to note: Firstly: the 'day' itself really felt different, like a massive let-down, and not just due to COVID/lockdwon.
on the first point, i disagree. watching, to me it felt like any other night game. it didnt feel special like the grand final does. maybe its just the presence of a vocal crowd, but the port/richmond prelim felt like a bigger game.

on point 2, absolutely agree. the buildup was horrid, having so long to dwell on it the anticipation and excitement turned into excruciating restlessness and stress, and i dont think not being able to have a bbq was anything to do with it. i reckon id have been just as stressed, maybe more so, if i couldnt shut myself in my room and distract myself for hours.

aso one thing i dont think people properly considered before hand, is just how late the game and ceremony finishes. people were going on about how it lets people go out afterwards, but i dont think people realise how little time is actually left. even with a shortened game the ceremony wasnt finished until well after 11. and with a full length game it could be close to 12. unless youre planning on going on through the night, you really only have a few hours to celebrate before youre hailing a taxi, and getting into bed probably after 3 once everything is done. in 2017 i was able to hang around with mates after and have some drinks/kick a footy, then have dinner with the family and i could have gone out later or kept partying. In 2019 we were able to head to richmond and have some casual drinks for hours chatting about the game and get through a fair few jugs of beer, but still get home around midnight but again i could have kept going if i wanted to. those opportunities are completely lost and really there is no opportunity to celebrate if youre not wanting to hang around at a pub until 2-3am.

massive no from me, but i can see the writing is on the wall.

on point 2, absolutely agree. the buildup was horrid, having so long to dwell on it the anticipation and excitement turned into excruciating restlessness and stress, and i dont think not being able to have a bbq was anything to do with it. i reckon id have been just as stressed, maybe more so, if i couldnt shut myself in my room and distract myself for hours.

Every other major sports competition in the world plays their final at night and all the fans of teams involved are somehow able to deal with the "stress" until the match starts.

Having attended last night, I thought it was really good being at night. I think twilight would be ideal.

i really feel it should be at night because thats what they do in 'merica, and fire works are the grouse at night, and they should shorten the grand final quarters to 10mins, so then we can have more of what we all came for, HALF TIME ENTERTAINMENT ! In fact, they really should have bands at quarter time, nobody wants to see highlights or pursue stats, thats just stoopid !! I can't say too much on here, but my mate, who is good mates with an immigration minister, who knows Gil's au pair, told me that for sure, that are looking at a best of 7 GF, just as they do in 'merica, and it will be on consecutive nights at 4am to capture the US ratings, because that's what AFL is all about, ripper ratings to sell more grog and bonus bets, an absolute ripper GF week of back to back to back to back grand finals, just as God intended it. All games to be at the G except the decider if needed, will be held at Joondalup oval to allow the AFL to connect with its grass root fans, both teams however to wear their 'clash jersey's', not footy jumpers, God bless.

i really feel it should be at night because thats what they do in 'merica, and fire works are the grouse at night, and they should shorten the grand final quarters to 10mins, so then we can have more of what we all came for, HALF TIME ENTERTAINMENT ! In fact, they really should have bands at quarter time, nobody wants to see highlights or pursue stats, thats just stoopid !! I can't say too much on here, but my mate, who is good mates with an immigration minister, who knows Gil's au pair, told me that for sure, that are looking at a best of 7 GF, just as they do in 'merica, and it will be on consecutive nights at 4am to capture the US ratings, because that's what AFL is all about, ripper ratings to sell more grog and bonus bets, an absolute ripper GF week of back to back to back to back grand finals, just as God intended it. All games to be at the G except the decider if needed, will be held at Joondalup oval to allow the AFL to connect with its grass root fans, both teams however to wear their 'clash jersey's', not footy jumpers, God bless.

Might need to change your pants mate I think you’ve pissed in them

Let's hope so. Saturday afternoon for the biggest domestic sporting event is stupid in this day and age. Made sense when pubs closed at 6pm.
You sound really miserable.

Just saying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back