Dangerfield hit on Vlastuin

Remove this Banner Ad

i refuse to believe anyone seriously thinks this was a reportable (therefore suspendable) offense
Those that do have never played football before and only judge based on the slow motion replays

Plugger has requested a retrospective pardon from the AFL over the Caven incident.

"The ball was loose, we approached the ball from opposing directions. I contested the ball and in the process made high contact to Caven. My actions were not unreasonable in the circumstances. As such I am seeking a formal pardon from the AFL together with 8 weeks' pay in lieu, and 45 goals pro rata added to my record."

What else is he supposed to do? He goes the shoulder to protect himself then it's a high bump but watching full speed he had absolutely no time to even get a shoulder in. His forearm was the only thing that could've protected him and it was instinct in less than half a second.
Thankfully they haven't based this on the outcome. Accident. Contact sport. Injuries happen.

Thankfully they haven't based this on the outcome. Accident. Contact sport. Injuries happen.

How many accidents are there in the AFL these days? What was the last one similar to this? It's a bad look after the recent coverage of CTE.

Anyway only Dangerfield knows what went through his head, and he's not telling. I might be less suspicious if there was footage of him checking on Vlastuin's condition.

Those that do have never played football before and only judge based on the slow motion replays
I played a bit of footy.

I reckon he saw Vlaustin, thought "I can nail this campaigner" and drilled him with his elbow.

I know blokes who've done it in front of opposition goals, given away the free and when you ask them why they basically say "I dunno, a rush of blood to the head?" I played with a bloke who did that all the *en time. Cost us games.

As far as the replay thing it's that high shot in real time that makes it most obvious IMO. Two clear motions and he changes the line of his elbow. It looks like he is swinging it for a full blooded elbow strike.

How many accidents are there in the AFL these days? What was the last one similar to this? It's a bad look after the recent coverage of CTE.

Anyway only Dangerfield knows what went through his head, and he's not telling. I might be less suspicious if there was footage of him checking on Vlastuin's condition.
Yep.

It’s kind of weird because there’s no middle ground with what he gets. If it’s incidental he gets nothing, if it’s careless then it’s clearly severe impact to the head so it’s 3+ weeks and off to the tribunal.
The argument for the appropriate sanction is nothing vs a fine. 3 weeks is absolutely ridiculous for a non intentional act.
Given the options, its obviously the right call.

I played a bit of footy.

I reckon he saw Vlaustin, thought "I can nail this campaigner" and drilled him with his elbow.

I know blokes who've done it in front of opposition goals, given away the free and when you ask them why they basically say "I dunno, a rush of blood to the head?" I played with a bloke who did that all the fu**en time. Cost us games.

As far as the replay thing it's that high shot in real time that makes it most obvious IMO. Two clear motions and he changes the line of his elbow. It looks like he is swinging it for a full blooded elbow strike.
It looks to me like he brings his arm in to brace for impact, it happens so quickly it was probably instinct to protect himself. Danger doesn't have a history of trying to do that kind of stuff so I really doubt everything you're saying.

Ben Long gets a week for "potential to cause injury" when no injury occured and he was trying to pull out of the contest and clipped Macrae

Dangerfield KO's a player with a flying elbow while trying to pull out and does far more than the "potential to cause injury" yet gets nothing?

MRP is a freaking joke and panders to the darlings of the AFL.

It looks to me like he brings his arm in to brace for impact, it happens so quickly it was probably instinct to protect himself. Danger doesn't have a history of trying to do that kind of stuff so I really doubt everything you're saying.
He doesn't have a history of playing in Grannies either but when you are in them you go hard.

I struggle to believe that is a brace for impact type thing. If it was anything other than a perfect shot to his chin (or if Dangerfield didn't come across as the most entitled twat infooty) then I might be inclined to agree but when I saw it live I was thinking "* he just lined him up and went bang." See what happens with Ziebell or Lindsay Thomas if you want a comparison.

Even if it was an attempt to brace it was at best extremely clumsy and showed no duty of care. Players with less media profile and unknown youngsters like Ben Long don't get that sort of protection from the consequences of their actions so why should Dangerfield? At the very least he was careless as to what his forearm and elbow would do.

If you ever get the chance watch the Koori Knockout or some other indigenous league carnivals. You will see some experts at it. Some of those hits 100% the same as what Dangerfield did and there isn't any denying the intent.

He doesn't have a history of playing in Grannies either but when you are in them you go hard.

I struggle to believe that is a brace for impact type thing. If it was anything other than a perfect shot to his chin (or if Dangerfield didn't come across as the most entitled twat infooty) then I might be inclined to agree but when I saw it live I was thinking "fu** he just lined him up and went bang." See what happens with Ziebell or Lindsay Thomas if you want a comparison.

Even if it was an attempt to brace it was at best extremely clumsy and showed no duty of care. Players with less media profile and unknown youngsters like Ben Long don't get that sort of protection from the consequences of their actions so why should Dangerfield? At the very least he was careless as to what his forearm and elbow would do.

If you ever get the chance watch the Koori Knockout or some other indigenous league carnivals. You will see some experts at it. Some of those hits 100% the same as what Dangerfield did and there isn't any denying the intent.

Shame for geelong that the hardest danger went all night was at vlaustin's head

I'll give him benefit of the doubt as I do Cotchin way back in 2017 who was bracing contact going for a 50/50 ball, neither I think were deliberate.

It's as bad a look for CTE as the Simpson incident which was another unfortunate contest and they both worry me for how the game will be in the future if they both develop anything.

The Selwood on Baker incident should've got more attention as that is not within the spirit of the game whereas the Danger one was in my view an accident and unfortunate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Live it looked dirty

Replay it showed he got a fist to the footy then a second movement of the arm pushing toward the head. But changed my first view of outright dirty.

Slow motion complicates things

Strangely when replaying these incidents in my head as a player I replay them in slow motion and come up with scenarios on what I could and couldn't have done. Played with and against some pretty dirty footballers.

Not surprised there was no action taken you could tell from the replay there was enough to create doubt with his intentions.

Personal opinion was he braced to protect himself from the impact but intended for Vlaustin to feel every bit of that protection.

It was in play.

Perhaps he could have done a little more to avoid high contact, but it was all quick enough that the benefit of the doubt should apply.

Should have been a free for high contact, but no more than that.
So you bump someone and get them in the head example like Ben long you get suspended but if you raise your elbow and hit them instead you don’t get suspended the mrp have totally lost the last bit of credibility they had left

Wasn’t even a free kick let alone suspension worthy.

Unfortunate for the Vlaustin but if that’s a suspension may as well make punching the ball illegal going forward.
Not a free kick ?? The last I checked you were not allowed to make contact above the shoulders would have thought hitting someone in the head with a elbow qualifies as high contact 😂

So you bump someone and get them in the head example like Ben long you get suspended but if you raise your elbow and hit them instead you don’t get suspended the mrp have totally lost the last bit of credibility they had left

The big difference is going for the ball.

If that is your primary object, *some* allowance gets made for contact resulting from that pursuit.

The big difference is going for the ball.

If that is your primary object, *some* allowance gets made for contact resulting from that pursuit.
It wasn’t in the contest of winning the ball was the contact he made avoidable yes bottom line he hit a player high after ball was gone that player took no further part in the game if it was a regular season game he would be getting suspended it’s a shame Michael cristhesen dosent seem to know what the word consistency means!

Danger checking his elbow like a cricketer looking for the cherry on his bat after hitting one out of the middle.

c6fea55fceb9b30167dd9415afa9b2c3

It wasn’t in the contest of winning the ball was the contact he made avoidable yes bottom line he hit a player high after ball was gone that player took no further part in the game if it was a regular season game he would be getting suspended it’s a shame Michael cristhesen dosent seem to know what the word consistency means!
He literally made contact with the ball in the same motion that Vlastiun got hit. Ben Long got suspended because he lined a bloke up for the second time this season and got him in the head, Long had no eyes for the ball and is a known sniper. This incident is completely different.

For the people who live in fantasy land, in slow motion he had ample opportunity and time to avoid contact with the head.
For people who know anything at all about footy and contact sport in real time it was not avoidable and a good decision has been made by the AFL here.

Exactly.

In slow motion, with a dozen replays, and ignoring the instinct for self preservation, you can probably see another option....but in real time, when you have a fraction of a second to respond, you move your arm/elbow a few cm to be more in the way of the person hurtling towards you wih little regard for where that contact will be on the other person.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back