La Isla Bonita.
Secret.
Hung Up.
Burning Up.
Don't Cry For Me Argentina.
Die Another Day.
Beautiful Killer.
American Life.

Music's a bit crap but the other 2 are good.

Music joins Like a Virgin and Vogue as Madonna's trifecta of crap.

Live to Tell is one I don't know where to rank it.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
Madge's top 5 singles:
1. Justify My Love
2. Live To Tell
3. Frozen
4. Like a Virgin
5. Cherish

My Madonna album ranking:

5/5
1. Bedtime Stories
2. Erotica

4.5/5
3. True Blue
4. Ray of Light
5. Madonna

---daylight---

3.5/5
6. MDNA
7. American Life
8. Like a Prayer
9. Like a Virgin

3/5
10. Madame X
11. Hard Candy

2.5/5
12. Rebel Heart
13. Confessions on a Dancefloor
14. Music

In terms of the unpopular music opinions thread, I don't much care for Confessions & Music, but quite enjoy MDNA and American Life.

Slowed down acoustic covers have become such a dreary cliche that they've lost all affect, the boring ones that add nothing to songs, only take things away, drag the rest down with them.
100%. I always point to Sarah Blasko's Hey Ya! monstrosity to highlight my opinion of this.

CliffMcTainshaw

Premiership Player
Apr 11, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Cill Chainnigh
Just found out that Hillsong bastards now own Festival Hall.Saw some good gigs there.
I was about to post the same thing. A kick in the guts to all music lovers.
My first concert was there. Free, Manfred Mann and Deep Purple all on the one bill.
Stevie Wonder, Hall and Oates, Queen, Billy Thorpe, a very drunk Joe Cocker who was great, the Wrestling with Jack Little and quite a few stop work meetings are ones that spring to mind. Couldn't hear Queen for all the screaming teenage girls.
RIP Festival Hall.

WireHawk

Team Captain
Aug 16, 2009
The Black Lodge
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To Hell with Hillsong for taking Festival Hall! Saw Frank Zappa & The Mothers in 1973 & 1975
and I will cherish those gigs forever. Also saw John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra and later on
Public Enemy with Ice-T.

World Championship Wrestling was a highlight of my youth and I went every
week in 1969,70 &71. The memories of Abdullah The Butcher and Waldo Von Erich walking down
Dudley St. are etched onto my mind.

Bloody happy clappers tarnishing a "sacred" Melbourne place.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
What's the Frequency, Kenneth is REM's best song, and I don't understand why it doesn't get more FM radio airplay. It's a cracker.

Imitation of Life is probably my favourite, but What's The Frequency Kenneth isn't far away either.

A lot of their best singles seem to have come off their poorer albums actually, looking at it. Losing My Religion is another legitimate contender coming off a reasonably mediocre album.

Green is rated reasonably highly, and that's kind of based on the singles - otherwise it's middle of the road.

Could just be my lack of knowledge, but their better albums are mostly pretty nondescript and don't get including among some of the better indie rock albums of all time, Automatic For The People excluded.

Madge's top 5 singles:
1. Justify My Love
2. Live To Tell
3. Frozen
4. Like a Virgin
5. Cherish

My Madonna album ranking:

5/5
1. Bedtime Stories
2. Erotica

4.5/5
3. True Blue
4. Ray of Light
5. Madonna

---daylight---

3.5/5
6. MDNA
7. American Life
8. Like a Prayer
9. Like a Virgin

3/5
10. Madame X
11. Hard Candy

2.5/5
12. Rebel Heart
13. Confessions on a Dancefloor
14. Music

In terms of the unpopular music opinions thread, I don't much care for Confessions & Music, but quite enjoy MDNA and American Life.
Madonna’s last listenable song was Dress You Up. Since the late 80’s she has been mediocre and irrelevant. As has most female pop stars.

Bjork, Amy Winehouse, Beyonce, Adele, Lorde? Many more, I'm sure. I don't like all of them but reckon that's a pretty broad and incorrect statement.
I said MOST not all, although MOST of the names you mentioned fall into my initial statement.

I like Bjork, I can't comment on Beyonce because I haven't heard any of her songs, or I have but they weren't memorable, so perhaps I can. :)

Most of the female singers I like aren't popular known stars, at least in Australia. Carina Round, Juanita Stein, Rose Berlin, Toni Halliday, Dot Allison, Taasha Coates, Ambrosia Parsley, Sharon den Adel, Anneke van Giersbergan to name a few.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
I said MOST not all, although MOST of the names you mentioned fall into my initial statement.

I like Bjork, I can't comment on Beyonce because I have heard any of her songs, or I have but they weren't memorable, so perhaps I can. :)

Most of the female singers I like aren't popular known stars, at least in Australia. Carina Round, Juanita Stein, Rose Berlin, Toni Halliday, Dot Allison, Taasha Coates, Ambrosia Parsley, Sharon den Adel, Anneke van Giersbergan to name a few.
Just because you or I don't like something doesn't make it bad. I don't care for Beyonce or Adele, but neither are mediocre and certainly not irrelevant.

I hate rap and hip hop, but I wouldn't suggest Jay-Z and Kanye and hacks.

Just because you or I don't like something doesn't make it bad. I don't care for Beyonce or Adele, but neither are mediocre and certainly not irrelevant.

I hate rap and hip hop, but I wouldn't suggest Jay-Z and Kanye and hacks.
Probably why my opinion is unpopular.

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
Just found out that Hillsong bastards now own Festival Hall.Saw some good gigs there.
I saw Stevie Ray Vaughan, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Johnny Winter, B.B.King, The Black Crowes and the Sex Pistols all at Festival Hall.

R.I.P.

Back