30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Good to see, we need NASCAR back too

Good to see, we need NASCAR back too

The only reason Foxtel are doing it is because Scott's driving this year. If it was NASCAR he was racing in this year they'd put that back on. Prickes!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The only reason Foxtel are doing it is because Scott's driving this year. If it was NASCAR he was racing in this year they'd put that back on. Prickes!

Its about ratings, no Scotty, not enough viewers ..... Will Power (2014 champ) & Scott Dixon (5 championships) were not enough.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Couldn't get the most out of the tyres, was 9th in practice.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
That's an interesting question.

Without knowing Penske's nascar line up, I presume there's no opportunities within the team.

Historically Indycar has been a higher level, and American racing revolves around the Indy 500, but that doesn't transfer commercially.
Hasn’t Roger just made a spot for Scotty or is he replacing someone?
Can this not be done in nascar?

Aug 10, 2011
Somewhere near Rachael Neiberding
AFL Club
Carlton
I don't know. I wonder if Macos Ambrose's career affect the decision?

If Nascars always ran on road/street tracks, He'd have won a championship. But his background wasn't on ovals and was never as good on them than road courses. So it could be because Indycars race mainly on street/road tracks. But the actual car is going to be something that'll take a while to adjust (if ever) imo.

Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I don't know. I wonder if Macos Ambrose's career affect the decision?

If Nascars always ran on road/street tracks, He'd have won a championship. But his background wasn't on ovals and was never as good on them than road courses. So it could be because Indycars race mainly on street/road tracks. But the actual car is going to be something that'll take a while to adjust (if ever) imo.
Yeah ok I was thinking Indy cars were majority ovals to.

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Klyntonius has listed a bunch of riders, and given them excuses for not succeeding or overstated their record. Corser was deadest on making GP, and got put off in half a season. You don't get put off that easily, and was miles off Cadalora. Took the easy life in WSBK

I did not willingly ignore anybody, otherwise I would've used different wording. The common theme with most of those is that they're Americans. AMA racing was a higher level than WC level from the 60s to early 80s. But there more glory worldwide in the WC. Those Americans didn't dominant the WC by accident. Crosby didn't even win a race in 500.

There's no one with a touring car record of some length that's gone on to succeed in F1. Dario Franchitti became successful in Indycar after racing a couple of years in DTM. But raced lower level open wheelers and tested F1. McLaughlin has raced supercars for 10, and that's all he's done. There's nothing he'd have learnt to draw off. It's a huge disadvantage.
The superbike thing is more to do with the tyres though and a different riding style rather than a weight or power thing.
I reckon most Spanish riders would really struggle in Superbikes.
I'm not sure but did Mark Webber come from open wheelers?
I'm sure I can remember him racing gt cars and lemans cars before f1.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
The superbike thing is more to do with the tyres though and a different riding style rather than a weight or power thing.
Formula Ford and F3000 in Europe before signing for Mercedes. Was an F1 Test driver too.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
It more about that superbikes are the touring car equivalent of car racing, and MotoGP being the equivalent of F1. It's the conditioning that's the big deal and screws up riders/drivers.

Quite possibly Spanish riders would struggle in superbikes. But not Marquez and even Lorenzo. Lorenzo would probably win this year's WSBK even with minimal preparation.

Webber di race GT, but he's wasn't that good anyway. It's actually better to look at his team mate at MB, Ricardo Zonta. Superstar in mid range openwheelers, flogged Webber at MB GT, and was comprehensively better than trusted MB soldiers Bernd Schneider and Klaus Ludwig. Turned to s**t in F1 after that

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Webber not that good in GT ?? C'mon Dodge not even you believe that rubbish post.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Webber not that good in GT ?? C'mon Dodge not even you believe that rubbish post.

Its relative is how I took that comment. The comparison of who wins in a one one on one. We are talking about the 'top shelf'.

I'm a big fan of those who do it in all forms of the sport.

Aug 10, 2011
AFL Club
Carlton
You're in for a nasty surprise if you look at that season.

I was buying Autosport in those days. No parochial Aussie embellishment in the articles or race reports. He was being carried by Schneider, where Zonta actually grow into the team and was in the end, was the one leading the pair of him and Ludwig to pinch the championship.

The career paths of Zonta and Webber since then contribute to my opinions of managing your career is more important than inherent talent, as long as your good enough to be there in the first place.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Zonta is more famous for being lapped by Schumacher and Hakkinen at Spa.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans

The superbike thing is just to do with talent. That's it. Moto2 have different tyres and riding style as well but it's currently the preferred path the most talented riders are taking. If they came through superbikes instead then they'd adapt just the same.

Put any of Mir, Rins, Vinales, the Esparagaros, Marquez Jr in WSBK and they're highly likely to be at least front runners if not champion.

Back