Analysis Officially a dynasty!

Tigerish09

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond reserves
They will start to draw comparisons between this team and the Hafey era. Both won flags after long droughts but given that there are 18 teams now compared to 12 previously (so 50% more difficult in this era) and that you can't just go out and buy quality players like before (now you need top list management and a little luck), I will say that the current team is the equal of the Hafey era. This team have also had to tolerate some shocking umpiring (perhaps the least free kicks over the 2017 to 2020 period) which was also evident tonight but nevertheless I am so proud of this team and its achievements. No one except maybe for Lounge Lizard saw this trio of flags coming.

fleabitten

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 16, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
They call the Colonwood team of the 20s "the machine" because they won 4 flags in a row. There were only a handful of teams then and our effort considering that we were the dominant team of 2018 parallels the machine, I now christen this team "the process".

gross, no

"the process" is associated with extreme tanking which is something we never did

(NBA's Philadelphia 76ers)

Nice feeling 3 out of 4...couldah been 4 out of 4...always next year! :hearts:
Now that we’re officially the best team of all time that just makes Collingwood’s 2018 Preliminaryship all the more impressive. Well done Collingwood and congrats.

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Credit to our medical staff in this era.

In each of our flag years they’ve brought back critical players back from sizeable injuries and get them cherry ripe for crunch finals.
They’ve done it again with Nank, Prestia, Edwards and Houli all coming back this year.
Pivotal members of our premiership dynasty.

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
Credit to our medical staff in this era.

In each of our flag years they’ve brought back critical players back from sizeable injuries and get them cherry ripe for crunch finals.
They’ve done it again with Nank, Prestia, Edwards and Houli all coming back this year.
Pivotal members of our premiership dynasty.
Shedda wasn't injured, but yeah, you're 100% right about the medical staff

Jammo1111

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Now that we’re officially the best team of all time that just makes Collingwood’s 2018 Preliminaryship all the more impressive. Well done Collingwood and congrats.
But remember, dusty couldn’t run or kick in that game, Astbury was in la la land after coming out of hospital having been on a drip all week, and Prestia had I think broken ribs.

Tigerish09

Club Legend
Jan 22, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond reserves
But remember, dusty couldn’t run or kick in that game, Astbury was in la la land after coming out of hospital having been on a drip all week, and Prestia had I think broken ribs.
It's Martin who is the catalyst. Think we could have covered Astbury and Prestia but Martin is the one who sets so many scoring chains up. In that PF, if Lambert had taken a relatively simple chest mark and converted we would have been only 15 points down with plenty of time left. If Martin plays his typical Finals like game, who knows the result could have been different. The importance of Martin can't be understated, do we win 2020 had he not played? Probably not.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Could find a spot for Rance lol

PaulBulluss

Debutant
Apr 10, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
The importance of Martin can't be understated, do we win 2020 had he not played? Probably not.

I think 100% we don't win without Martin.

Who else would've kicked his first two goals (not to mention the last one when the game was already won)? Who else has his on-field presence?

Oppo freeze up around him, just like with Stanley on that last goal, often opponents look like they can't wait to give him the ball when he's near it.

Can't imagine how teammates feel when they see him fired up and doing freakish stuff, and the psychological impact it has on the other team.

I'm not saying we're a one-man team, far from it, we're an excellent unit who happens to have a bloke who can be compared to the greats like Ablett Snr, Matthews, Carey...

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon the 18 season should get more praising. Lost to an excellent Collingwood team but still a huge effort to win the minor premiership. About 25 all Australian players that season too. Looks a lot better with 3 flags around it

The vfl (afl/vfl double) flag was also amazing shame the pandemic killed our chances of vfl b2b

Back