grand finals are going to be night from now on

Remove this Banner Ad

Why should we be followers?
the superbowl was held during the day as recently as 2016. it depends on where in the country its being held, as they want as many people to be able to watch as possible. but the sycophants who want to copy everything american (why i have no idea, theyre hardly an icon of all things good) wont ever tell you that when saying the superbowl is a night time event.

going forward the only hope we have of seeing a daytime gf is if it goes to the home team and we see it in perth.

GF day is the best day of the year. Don't know why you would jeopardise that. Having it during the day makes it feel more special because you feel the whole day is built around it. Having it at night makes it feel more like they are trying to spruce it up artificially.

the superbowl was held during the day as recently as 2016. it depends on where in the country its being held, as they want as many people to be able to watch as possible. but the sycophants who want to copy everything american (why i have no idea, theyre hardly an icon of all things good) wont ever tell you that when saying the superbowl is a night time event.

going forward the only hope we have of seeing a daytime gf is if it goes to the home team and we see it in perth.

It's got nothing to do with following Americans. We've played cricket at night for 50 years. Even play Test cricket under lights now.

It's just a better timeslot at night. It's why cinemas are quiet in the middle of the afternoon, why we don't have concerts at 2:30pm, etc.

Every other final except the least interesting Elimination Final is played at night.

I'd go one step further and have an 8:30pm start time. It's a Saturday night. If you need to be in bed by a certain time then record it and watch it in the morning.

The minute we decided to change the time of the GF, or anything else involving it, based on the "entertainment", we should all just crawl in a ditch and collectively die. FFS.
Lets get a grip.

Ratings have been up all year due to shorter games and the largest market being in their own homes all year.

‘Up 33% on last year’
But last year was the lowest rating GF for years
2020 - 3.8mil
2019 - 2.9mil
2018 - 3.4mil
2017 - 3.5mil
2016 - 4.1mil
2015 - 3.5mil
2014 - 3.7mil

It fits right in with the rest.

Yeah interesting numbers.

2 things, Victoria's numbers were probably artificially high this year because of lockdown. Brisbanes were artificially high due to increased interest due to it being played in Brisbane. Neither of these things should be happening in 2021.

Sydney and Adeaide ratings were pretty meh, and Perth's, who probably benefit most from the late start weren't anything to write home about either.

I didn't watch the Grand Final out of protest, first time I've missed it since the late 80s. Everything about the game was unpalatable to me. Unfortunately it looks like the AFL/ch 7 will do what the * they want, and you sheeple will just blindly follow.

".....The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is when good men do nothing....."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was all for a night grand final, purely based on the fact that all the big games are played at night during the year so thought the big dance should also be night.. However real life experience i thought the day really dragged, even with the races on and more importantly my 7yo daughter who is a cats fan and was super excited about the game and staying up to watch it.. Mid way through the 3rd term was asking me to take her to bed because she was tired. It didn't eventuate but she could have missed that buzz that stays with kids forever experiencing a grand final win.. I still have fond memories as 12yo back to 1995, singing, dancing in the street.

Grad final day for me has always been a family event, all families get together BBQ out the back, kids running a muck everywhere.. At night this will be eliminated, wives will stay at home with the kids whilst the boys go out to watch the game, because anyone with younger kids are not going to an event where they don't get home until after 11pm. The twilight timeslot IMO is the perfect compromise, start 5pm.

ITS A GRANDFINAL < NOT A MEDIA EVENT
i am in Hbt watched it, It was wet/dewy NO good for big guys , standards average
can you see in late sept in Melb ,a wet/dewy nite GF
like this 1, standard be poor, coaches will be complaining
THE Future players (kids ) will NOT attend or go to game
Millions around Aust , like my club does ,BBQ , fundraisers ,end of season stuff
its not only Melb peoples

My kids couldn't watch it. I grew up with Grand Final Day being a big day for as long as I can remember.

If they do night GFs from now on, my kids won't have that experience. Especially as the games will go back to full length quarters, so add another 30 minutes to the finish time. My wife had to take extraordinary steps to stay awake.

If it's night, I don't think I'll ever see the Norm Smith awarded again, I didn't watch it this year, I went to bed.

That TV figure might have been the peak, but I wonder what the figures were like in the lead-up and post-match when they're getting the most ads in? I'll bet the post-match was probably the lowest its ever been.

Didn't mind it at all. The fact that it was played in front of 30,000 people in a non-football city probably detracted slightly. Bring it back to the 'G, in front of 100,000, at night and it will be absolutely spectacular.

People are sooking like crybabies about it now, but if it does go to a night fixture from now on, like any major social change, in five or six years from now everyone will be like: 'it used to played during the daytime?'

It's just a better timeslot at night. It's why cinemas are quiet in the middle of the afternoon, why we don't have concerts at 2:30pm, etc.
Cinemas are quiet in the middle of the afternoon because people have jobs :$
Concerts are restricted for people over 18. The AFL grand final is not restricted to adults only.

People are sooking like crybabies about it now, but if it does go to a night fixture from now on, like any major social change, in five or six years from now everyone will be like: 'it used to played during the daytime?'
Or in five or six years time the people advocating for the "spectacular! look at the fireworks! the music sounds better too!!" night time grand final will have kids and realise why people wanted it kept during the day.

More people watched it on TV because everyone in Victoria had to stay home, not because the game was played at night.
Of course the TV numbers were going to look like that.

Keep the grand final to during the day!
Too bloody right. I sat with a mate and the dear wife and tried to keep a lid on it. Lit a fire in the backyard and pretended that I was having fun. To bad about the BBQ that starts at noon. To bad about the beers and the laughs and the generally great day with a yard full of dogs and kids and adults shouting at the TV. Nah, it's all about the bells and whistles and the TV ratings. The most hollow GF I can remember, and I'm a Tiger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back