AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I've also been upgraded after 13 years.

How does the Grand Final ticket allocation work? What guarantee do you have of getting a ticket if your team isn't playing?

Thanks
If your team is playing, you get first crack on the Sunday morning after the prelims to buy tickets. Then it goes to other gold members on the Sunday arvo. There is no guarantees for either, its just a priority system and you need to go through the purchasing process. I have never seen it run out before it opens to all gold members, so as long as you attempt to purchase first-thing, you are fine. It generally always sells out once its opened up to the remaining gold members.

Rarely it gets through to the Monday morning when Silver club support gets a crack, and finally all other silver. That is the rarest case.

If your team is playing, you get first crack on the Sunday morning after the prelims to buy tickets. Then it goes to other gold members on the Sunday arvo. There is no guarantees for either, its just a priority system and you need to go through the purchasing process. I have never seen it run out before it opens to all gold members, so as long as you attempt to purchase first-thing, you are fine. It generally always sells out once its opened up to the remaining gold members.

Rarely it gets through to the Monday morning when Silver club support gets a crack, and finally all other silver. That is the rarest case.
So as a gold member you are still unlikely to get a ticket if your team isn't playing?

So as a gold member you are still unlikely to get a ticket if your team isn't playing?
Hmmm I’d say more likely than the other possibilities but it always come down to who is playing. Melbourne clubs have higher AFL membership affiliation, but I don’t think there are 2 clubs that have enough gold members to fill the AFL members allocation together. There is a very high chance that all gold members will get a crack, but you just need to be ready for it.

My GF ticket history.

07 - Got through a Gold non-club friend
08 - Same as above
09 - Bought off scalper
10 - Didn’t get a chance as a Silver non-club
10 Replay - Didn’t attempt. Not sure what happened there.
11 - Got it through the Geelong ballot
12 - Got it as a Silver non-club
13 - Didn’t get a chance as a Silver non-club
14 - Got it as a Silver non-club
15 - Got it as a Silver non-club
16 - Didn’t get a chance as a Silver non-club
17 - Got it as a Gold non-club
18 - Didn’t attempt to get a ticket but it sold out at Gold non-club access
19 - Got it as a Gold non-club

Last edited:
My GF ticket history.

07 - Got through a Gold non-club friend
08 - Same as above
09 - Bought off scalper
10 - Didn’t get a chance as a Silver non-club
10 Replay - Didn’t attempt. Not sure what happened there.
11 - Got it through the Geelong ballot
12 - Got it as a Silver non-club
13 - Didn’t get a chance as a Silver non-club
14 - Got it as a Silver non-club
15 - Got it as a Silver non-club
16 - Didn’t get a chance as a Silver non-club
17 - Got it as a Gold non-club
18 - Didnt attempt to get a ticket but it sold out as Gold non-clubs
19 - Got it as a Gold non-club

Interesting info- I think people forget how recently it was possible to get GF tickets as silver non-club. The last few years of Richmond/Collingwood participation (and likely reduction of AFL membership allocation at the GF) have made that seem a long way off!

Interesting info- I think people forget how recently it was possible to get GF tickets as silver non-club. The last few years of Richmond/Collingwood participation (and likely reduction of AFL membership allocation at the GF) have made that seem a long way off!
12-15 I didn't get it as silver club so yeah

Joined Dec 2010 (nice join date flog) and as of Nov last year I was waitlist 3852.
I think I'm gunna have to wait 1 more year :expressionless:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's in large part because large marketing/advertising "to get a membership or you're not a true supporter" and sales has meant that there's a new generation of fans who feel entitles/deserving of a GF ticket, when that was never a case.

I remember a conversation I had recently with a Demons fan, who just casually mentioned that they went to the 2000 Grand Final. I was initially a bit surprised - he wasn't a hardcore fan, and today, wouldn't be the type of person to have a membership, let alone spend money to get the GF. But then I realised Melbourne only had 18,000 members in 2000, many would have gotten tickets through the MCC, and when you take away the people who didn't want to pay for a ticket, were interstate, were 3 game members etc. back then, basically anyone who wanted to go to the Grand Final back then, could have. A big difference for the struggle to get tickets now.

I feel like the period between 2004-2009/10 when smaller Victorian clubs and interstate clubs were consistently making the GF meant that the growth of AFL membership and club membership to get Grand Final tickets was slower than the "natural" level would have been. You went from the stage where basically any Port/Sydney/West Coast fan who lived in Melbourne or was willing to fly over could get a ticket, and the AFL membership was lower. But then fans of Geelong, Hawthorn, Collingwood etc. realised that they were missing out on GF tickets, and then other teams realised that they might miss out next time they made it, so there was a sudden onslaught that led to the rise in AFL membership and club membership in the early 10's. Hence gold membership slowing to a trickle and clubs having membership numbers that are multiple times the 15,000 they get allocated per GF.

Talk of match day balloting in 2021 (with an "admin" fee no doubt $$$$$) ... won't be allowed to just 'rock up' and take a seat

I know Richmond have been talking about this for MCG home games next year (quoted in today's paper) - is there anything on the record around this from AFL Membership?

Sadly, this will probably be a reality for all of next season if not longer.

The old man got bumped to gold today, he joined at the start of ‘09.
Oh man, I'm "12 Years Member" as of 2021 and around 1,500 in the waitlist... so close!

Just got my silver renewal email:

Renewal for:
2017: 18660
2018: 16520
2019: 15580
2020: 14400
2021: 13360

Moved 1,000 spots which is right on trend for the last few renewals. Looks like barely any golds and silvers ahead of me gave up their cards over the usual annual turnover.

Edit: now I think about it, would this movement only reflect people who failed to renew or cancelled during the year? Would we expect the biggest movement (if any) to happen with people failing to renew this cycle?

Got my renewal today, now at 3046 down from 3852. Fcuk me, I was hoping id be a bit closer, looks like at least 2 more years

Joined Dec 2010 (nice join date flog) and as of Nov last year I was waitlist 3852.
I think I'm gunna have to wait 1 more year :expressionless:

Unfortunately you might be waiting another 4 or 5 years

It seems like there were a lot of Collingwood supporters who joined after September 2010 for some reason...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back