Strategy North Melbourne Coaching Changes 2020 & Beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Take out his coaching experience at an already successful Richmond and I'm not sure where the high rating is coming from.

A stint at St Kilda where they won finals on either side of his tenure.

A stint at Port that admittedly produced one grand final appearance but nothing else.

Hard to make head or tail of his coaching cv.

Take out his coaching experience at an already successful Richmond and I'm not sure where the high rating is coming from.

A stint at St Kilda where they won finals on either side of his tenure.

A stint at Port that admittedly produced one grand final appearance but nothing else.

Hard to make head or tail of his coaching cv.
Schofield's CV is much more impressive

I’d rather much Schofield over Kingsley is we are going the assistant coach route.
Kingsley seems to have lucked out at Richmond in 2019 and seen the last two flags. If he had arrived in 2016 it would have been more impressive.

I’d rather much Schofield over Kingsley is we are going the assistant coach route.
Kingsley seems to have lucked out at Richmond in 2019 and seen the last two flags. If he had arrived in 2016 it would have been more impressive.
Is 2 years at Richmond enough to wash off the stink of 8 years at 2010s St Kilda? Debatable imo.

So the biggest knock on Kingsley is he was at St Kilda as they rebuilt after Lyon's tenure?

I would hope we'd go a little deeper than just looking at win/loss records. I'd be more interested in what specific roles an assistant had at each club he's been at and how that translated to player development and effectiveness in those areas - for example he was the stoppage coach at Richmond this year, what were their clearance numbers this year? etc.

So the biggest knock on Kingsley is he was at St Kilda as they rebuilt after Lyon's tenure?

I would hope we'd go a little deeper than just looking at win/loss records. I'd be more interested in what specific roles an assistant had at each club he's been at and how that translated to player development and effectiveness in those areas - for example he was the stoppage coach at Richmond this year, what were their clearance numbers this year? etc.
I reckon hes lucked out by landing at Punt Road when he did.

FWIW Richmond finished 17th in the league for clearances in 2020. Power, Cats and Lions finished 1, 2 and 3. They are the exception not the norm.
The other teams landing in 15th 16th and 18th for clearances were Melbourne, Adelaide and Hawthorn.

I reckon hes lucked out by landing at Punt Road when he did.

FWIW Richmond finished 17th in the league for clearances in 2020. Power, Cats and Lions finished 1, 2 and 3. They are the exception not the norm.
The other teams landing in 15th 16th and 18th for clearances were Melbourne, Adelaide and Hawthorn.

I'm neither for or against Kingsley, would just hope we go a little deeper than how a club did in the time candidates were there.

Warming more to Schofield every hour. Coached teams in his own right - including 3 flags in 5 years at Subiaco, and is credited with development of youth. Rozee, Butters and Duursma give him a great rap.

But then again, he needs to be interested in us first. Selling the opportunity will be hard work.

Warming more to Schofield every hour. Coached teams in his own right - including 3 flags in 5 years at Subiaco, and is credited with development of youth. Rozee, Butters and Duursma give him a great rap.

But then again, he needs to be interested in us first. Selling the opportunity will be hard work.
Anyone’s who looks and can’t be excited by the opportunity doesn’t have the confidence and imagination we want.

Saying this unemotionally - if being the senior coach of a traditional club with a long history, prudently managed off-field with usually long coaching tenures and a list with a core of promising kids doesn't get him eager for the opportunity then any mutual interest should stop there.

We shouldn't be selling ourselves to anyone. All viable candidates should know exactly who we are and what the opportunity is. They either then want it or don't.

If any prospective senior coach would rather sit back and cherry-pick their club then that's their prerogative but they're not for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saying this unemotionally - if being the senior coach of a traditional club with a long history, prudently managed off-field with usually long coaching tenures and a list with a core of promising kids doesn't get him eager for the opportunity then any mutual interest should stop there.

We shouldn't be selling ourselves to anyone. All viable candidates should know exactly who we are and what the opportunity is. They either then want it or don't.

If any prospective senior coach would rather sit back and cherry-pick their club then that's their prerogative but they're not for us.

Sounds like something Brady Rawlings would say....

AFL coaching jobs are hard to get .Don’t let anyone fool u , we maybe struggling on field at the minute ,but we are a GREAT Club. Anyone wanting to coach at the highest level would be crazy not to want it. They will be able to build from the bottom up and be able to put their own stamp on things. Go The Mighty Roos

Would they root Dan Andrews?

Give me 60 seconds and I would * him good & proper, then get a statue in city square for my efforts.

Schofield has coached his own team before, Kingsley hasn't. That rules Kingsley out for me. Whilst it's not an exact science, we can't go for a guy who has only ever been an assistant and doesn't know what having your own team is like.

Yeah Schofield or Sam Mitchell if we want untried coach

Remove this Banner Ad

Back