Coach Current coaching and recruiting structures

Remove this Banner Ad

As for coaches I would be looking seriously at Jarrod Schofield.

We already did and he told us thanks, ............ but no thanks.

Maybe no quite that politely..... but he declined the offer none the less.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It's not the first time a Victorian has had their eyes opened once they came over to the West (Mitchell said similar things).
And Simmo of course! And that previous Freo coach -not sure if it's worth paraphrasing anything he said?
Leppitsch was probably a good score for Tigers, certainly has that toughness..I'd like to see a hardboiled midfield coach to offset Simmo's "seemingly softer' disposition...

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Vozzo said in his interview on ABC, that we aren't replacing van berlo and will reshuffle coaching internally to cover.

The wily weagle

Premiership Player
Oct 16, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast
A left field idea might be sounding out Choco Williams as an assistant.

Decent tactical nous, has won a flag and he's a hard edged bastard. Might be the perfect foil to offset our Zen Buddhist Simpson

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
Vozzo said in his interview on ABC, that we aren't replacing van berlo and will reshuffle coaching internally to cover.
Doesn't sound good, a necessity due to covid costs and 'letting go' of staff? Although with our large membership, surely we could afford a decent midfield coach?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Doesn't sound good, a necessity due to covid costs and 'letting go' of staff? Although with our large membership, surely we could afford a decent midfield coach?

Problem is you would have to pay top $ to have a person move over to be an assistant. If family is involved and they are stuck here with boarder closures and such then its even harder.

bombard

Premiership Player
Apr 29, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
A lot of clubs will be reducing their coaching size - it's not about what we can afford, but the spending cap for off-field costs being imposed by the AFL.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Good experience for JG to go through the process if he's applying for the top job. Doesn't mean he'll get it but if he has ambitions to get to the top level I'm sure it'll be a valuable experience.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Good experience for JG to go through the process if he's applying for the top job. Doesn't mean he'll get it but if he has ambitions to get to the top level I'm sure it'll be a valuable experience.

Surely Simmo gets some credit with his assistants?

So far Longmire & Pyke have or had a senior gig. A chance Graham could go for a top gig.

DanWCE

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 2, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Surely Simmo gets some credit with his assistants?

So far Longmire & Pyke have or had a senior gig. A chance Graham could go for a top gig.

Simmo is the new Clarko in that respect. We are also a very well run organisation and I suspect that's both why coaches like to work with us but excel here.

When you're not winning games you're not likely to have your staff poached either. Need only look at what happened when Dimna cleared out his coaching staff at the end of the 2016 season and put some new minds around him. Now they're getting coaches pinched too.

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Simmo is the new Clarko in that respect. We are also a very well run organisation and I suspect that's both why coaches like to work with us but excel here.

When you're not winning games you're not likely to have your staff poached either. Need only look at what happened when Dimna cleared out his coaching staff at the end of the 2016 season and put some new minds around him. Now they're getting coaches pinched too.

I hope the club uses that as a selling point to get coaches over as assistants.

Back