Club History Most Inspirational Moments In Finals (Port)

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
The 2020 Finals campaign has left us with 2 of the most inspirational moments in Port’s finals history.

1. Butters bowling over two Geelong players to win the ball and hand off the winning goal v Geelong.
2. Brad Ebert’s last act as a Port player, spoiling Riewoldt in an attempt to save a Prelim final.

For me these moments were right up there and maybe better than my previous favourites:

1. The Abernathy tackle v Norwood in the 1980 (?) Grand Final
2. The Hartlett bump and handball v Richmond in the 2014 Elimination final
3. The Chalmers goal from 65 m out on half time (and just before the heavens opened) in the 1997 (?) Grand Final
4. The Hodges explosion in the last quarter of the 1994 Grand Final v WWT.
5. The Hodges kick from the boundary line in the 1996 (?) Prelim

I am sure I’ve missed plenty and I’m unsure on a few dates. But from the above, the Butters moment is just about my favourite single moment.

Any other suggestions?

• Hodges returns from the dead to take Davies’ record in the 90 GF

• Pickett opening goal of the 04 QF

• Shaun smother to prevent Guerra taking it to extra time in the 04 PF

• Monfries’ mark going back with the flight in the 14 PF

• Wingard running ~150 metres to attend multiple contests in the one passage of play before snapping from an acute angle in the 14 SF

A few of the many that stand out for me-

• Brian Cunningham's goal from the boundary in the last quarter of the 1977 Grand Final against Glenelg.
  • Bruce Abernethy's tackle on Graham Dunstan in last quarter of the 1980 Grand Final.
  • Scott Hodges' 50 metre goal from the boundary against Norwood in a final sometime in the 90's.
  • Scott Hodges' remarkable 5 goals in the last quarter of the 1994 Grand Final. Judge for yourself...

• Roger James' first quarter in the 2004 Preliminary Final against St Kilda.
  • Port Adelaide's first quarter against Richmond in the 2014 Elimination Final.
  • Ollie Wines' last quarter goal against Collingwood in the 2014 Qualifying Final.

Last edited:
AFL era stuff:

Shaun Burgoyne's smother in the 2004 Preliminary Final

Also Jake Neade beats Dustin Martin for the loose ball in 2014 Elimination Final

I think thats the right video, the club's website videos don't play on my work's network.

Has to be losing to Richmond by only 6pts in the 2020 Prelim.
Little Club on the Prairie, and all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Bishop 3rd quarter 2004 GF, turns the tide.

Matthew Bishop 3rd quarter 2004 GF, turns the tide.

The tap and run along the boundary?
Loved that play.

Tom Logan playing career best game in 2013.

That bloke thrived on finals. Just not sure about the other 22 games of blood rules and not much else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bruce Light 1977 grand final goal saving intercept and later a bone jarring bump on David Holst.

Tim Evans 7 goals in the same game despite being KOed by Fred Phillis.

Jack Spry choking Graham Cornes at half time.

Ivan Eckermann kicking three goals on one leg.

That's all in one grand final. This could take a while ;)

Bruce Light 1977 grand final goal saving intercept and later a bone jarring bump on David Holst.

77 GF Bucky kicking a check side goal southern end and wrinkles acknowledging it by giving him a pat on the head. Good sportsmanship but could have had an element of condescension, knowing that *****:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Another one from the 1977 GF was Greg Phillips ironing out Syd Jackson on the outer wing in the second quarter.

Another favourite Ivan Eckermann moment for me was in the 1979 GF when he picked up Eddie Fry's loose boot that had come off and threw it into the crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back