2020 Draft and Trades Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why don’t we give up pick 5 for Saad, it sounds like a ️ move, throw away players and then overpay for replacements. In this case it just happens to be the same player

To be fair, extending an injury prone player who is already contracted until 2021 for another three years on a massive back-ended contract only to try and get rid of him 12 months later to free up some money also sounds like something we would do.

Could be quite the negotiation

Who in right mind would extend the player for 4 years on back-ended deal supposedly 900K and then 3 months later tried to get rid of him (if I understand the timeline correctly).
Are they implying his current deal is back ended (like 2021 being the last year before the extension kicks off in 2022?) or that the extension for 4 years (2022-2025) is back ended?
But it's very bizarre. If its' referring to his current deal, I think players moved money around to later years to fit Beams in (lets not even go there on that situation lol) and its just unfortunate that Treloar's deal is more $ in 2021.

No way Treloar gets to GC. He's had the rare experience of having lived in an expansion setup before so he knows what the market is like. The team he was at won often as well, and he still left them. This guy loves the bubble.

I think he will leave the Pies, that relationship seems untenable. But hard to see him leaving VIC, and if he does it won't be to us. We'd probably be near last on his list.

No way Treloar gets to GC. He's had the rare experience of having lived in an expansion setup before so he knows what the market is like. The team he was at won often as well, and he still left them. This guy loves the bubble.

I think he will leave the Pies, that relationship seems untenable. But hard to see him leaving VIC, and if he does it won't be to us. We'd probably be near last on his list.
You raise some very good points. He left GWS to play in Melbourne.

Are they implying his current deal is back ended (like 2021 being the last year before the extension kicks off in 2022?) or that the extension for 4 years (2022-2025) is back ended?
But it's very bizarre. If its' referring to his current deal, I think players moved money around to later years to fit Beams in (lets not even go there on that situation lol) and its just unfortunate that Treloar's deal is more $ in 2021.
Yeah, some reports claim that his 4 year extension is back-ended. His current contract is probably also back-ended :) What a mess. Somebody seriously messed up at Collingwood. Yeah, Beams was a total disaster and still negotiating settlement. Big injuries lists in previous years affect TPP too.

SUNS trying to move up the draft order indicate that they don't believe Treloar will end up on GC. I would be very happy if SUNS end up with pick 2-4 and Jeffrey an Davies.

Yeah, some reports claim that his 4 year extension is back-ended. His current contract is probably also back-ended :) What a mess. Somebody seriously messed up at Collingwood. Yeah, Beams was a total disaster and still negotiating settlement. Big injuries list affect TPP too.
Our current list manager only came in at the end of 2017, that was after Treloar's deal was first done. TBH, I think the cap has been a mess for years, and he's trying to sort it out. I'm not sure signing him last year to an extension makes any sense, but.. we can only go on what we hear.
From a club perspective, I'm glad they're trying to be aggressive, but it's just not being handled well at all. Every day that passes it seems to get worse.

The Beams did seem to have reached a settlement, but that will be a chunk too. We also tended to keep on list cloggers. But got rid of a few this year with retirements and a few delistments.

I think he would prefer to stay in Melbourne over going interstate again. Just a wait and see in the next couple weeks.

I think Treloar would actually be better at the suns. As a regular Collingwood fan on this board has said before Treloar usually has to do the inside work alot and that would impact his disposal efficiency. At the Suns Greenwood and Rowell are our contested ball beasts so Treloar just needs to run into opens space and get the receive. Less pressure equals better ball use..right?
I don’t see Treloar’s ball use bring that much of a problem. Our forwards are not exactly used to having it delivered on a platter

If Collingwood salary cap is shot we should be going after best 22 level players that are value and are being squeezed out.
The Phillips, mihoceks, noble all out of contract in 2020/2021. If Collingwood can only offer peanuts then they would be gettable at decent price.

taking treloar off their hands makes it easier for an opponent. Is that what we want?

If it wasn’t Logan, I wouldn’t think the Suns would be so desperate to move up?
The next 4 guys are fairly even?

Holland’s could be the Suns DeGoey possibly better, but he is coming off a ACL..

Interesting times
Why, is he a douche bag?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan of moving up the draft, we already have a surplus of young talent, we don't need anymore.

We should be competing for a finals opportunity next year.

so what do you can’t trade pick 5 to anyone for a mature player?

sit back and miss out on the 5 A-grade top draftees and settle for the next group 6-20. Who are all evenly mixed or attached to other clubs

Not a fan of moving up the draft, we already have a surplus of young talent, we don't need anymore.

We should be competing for a finals opportunity next year.

Depends on if we can get anyone in the door. If not, we have a couple of 2nd round picks and if we are only going with one live pick we may as well see if we can move up a couple of spots or move them to next year. If we are specifically after one of DGB or Holland may as well trade up to secure them rather than wait and hope and potentially get jumped for them *cough* Clayton Oliver *cough*

You guys are mad thinking Treloar wouldn't be a great pickup. You are over analysing it, hes an elite mid. Exactly what we need to take us to that next level.
No doubt he’s be good next year.
What happens 2-3 years down the track. That contract could be an absolute anchor weighing us down.

Hi GC Fans, there's word that Sexton has been dropped a few times this year, and might be on the market? Is this true? Honestly just asking because 1 i was shocked that he has ever been dropped. I know he's regularly injured, but dropped was a shock. I'm also shocked because I thought he was one of your top few players, so just wanted to get a gauge on where you see him.

You guys are mad thinking Treloar wouldn't be a great pickup. You are over analysing it, hes an elite mid. Exactly what we need to take us to that next level.
No doubt he would be a great get for us provided he actually wants to come and stay long-term, Collingwood pays min 200K per year and he is happy to restructure his contract. He got some mental issues. What happens if his wife plays only 1 year in Brisbane and then decide they want to come back to Melbourne? Some risks including hamstrings.

To be honest, Collingwood lost a lot of leverage. If he really wants to come and at the moment it does not look like (quite the opposite) and Collingwood wants pick 5 they would have to pay 300K per year or something like that.

Last edited:
Hi GC Fans, there's word that Sexton has been dropped a few times this year, and might be on the market? Is this true? Honestly just asking because 1 i was shocked that he has ever been dropped. I know he's regularly injured, but dropped was a shock. I'm also shocked because I thought he was one of your top few players, so just wanted to get a gauge on where you see him.
He is not regularly injured. He is a leader, local boy. I can't imagine he would leave. He needed to work on a couple of things. It happens.

Last edited:
How much would you be willing to pay him and the length of contract? He is 28.
28 in April. But wasn't Greenwood the same age?

I'd go with 3 years with a trigger for 4. Given he has been taking less for years. I'd offer more than what he gets, but not to the extent to overpay him. So somewhere in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back