Mega Thread Port Forum 'General AFL Talk' Thread Part 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect people would be horrified if someone ever bothered to tally up the amount of violence, murder and suicide caused by the Family Court. Unfortunately, Darren Jolly is but one high profile example.

Would you not think the obvious conclusion when it happens 3 times is "hey i guess hubs are possibly an advantage in professional sports"?

No one wants to do it, but when you are forced into it and have nothing to do but eat and sleep sport, how is that a negative? It's like being in a permanent training camp

Would you not think the obvious conclusion when it happens 3 times is "hey i guess hubs are possibly an advantage in professional sports"?

"Nah mate, Victorians are just better."
- Victorian journalist writing for a Victorian newspaper.

No one wants to do it, but when you are forced into it and have nothing to do but eat and sleep sport, how is that a negative? It's like being in a permanent training camp

Yep exactly. In fact I'm pretty sure a lot of the best esports teams in the world do this by design.

Nothing about living at a resort is extraordinary

Extraordinarily relaxing and cushy perhaps?

There's nothing unusual at all about living in 5 star hotels away from home for extended periods to compete as a sportsperson, it's totally common in nearly all sports across the world.

The actual weird thing is being a professional sportsperson based in 1 city, playing against teams mostly based in that 1 city and then thinking it's a herculean task when you have to fly short distances a few times a year for your difficult, backs against the wall away games against teams like Port Adelaide and Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's nothing unusual at all about living in 5 star hotels away from home for extended periods to compete as a sportsperson, it's totally common in nearly all sports across the world.

The actual weird thing is being a professional sportsperson based in 1 city, playing against teams mostly based in that 1 city and then thinking it's a herculean task when you have to fly short distances a few times a year for your difficult, backs against the wall away games against teams like Port Adelaide and Fremantle.

How many clubs are on the road for 100+ days in reality?

Baseball and basketball in America consider 7 days a long road trip. What other sports are you thinking of?

Baseball and basketball in America consider 7 days a long road trip. What other sports are you thinking of?

I never said clubs, I said sportspeople.

Motor sport such as F1, Moto GP, etc, which travel from one country to another without the opportunity for the teams to go home.

Olympic sports such as athletics, swimming, etc, where you have month long tournaments and spend a couple of weeks prior training.

Tennis players, golfers, international soccer teams all spend lengthy periods on the road.

It really isn't unusual at all.

I never said clubs, I said sportspeople. And I asked about sports

Motor sport such as F1, Moto GP, etc, which travel from one country to another without the opportunity for the teams (the actual drivers do though) to go home.

Olympic sports such as athletics, swimming, etc, where you have month long tournaments and spend a couple of weeks prior training. Swimming and athletic meets go for a week/10 days tops including at the Olympics.

Tennis players, golfers, Absolutley. international soccer teams all spend lengthy periods on the road. Once every two/four years

It really isn't unusual at all.

It really is unusual. It's over 3 months. I don't think it's as big a deal as the AFL are making it but it's fairly unusual.

Oh just fu** Off!
Highly unlikely North would go for another untried coach IMO.

Yes he has WAFL success but he hasn't been in the AFL system that long and hasn't even been a senior assistant.

Too much risk for their current situation.

If they get this one wrong it could literally cost them their club.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Massive difference between bussing around a country and staying in a resort for a few months occasionally flying to two other cities.

They hardly travelled at all though. They pretty much stayed in the one place. They didn't "sleep in their own beds" but they were almost permanently staying in a resort, with good weather, a pool, a golf course and their mates with them. Some had family too. Richmond for example made 3 trips to Adelaide and one to Sydney in nearly 4 months including finals.

Whilst the Port boys got to "sleep in their own beds", they weren't exactly allowed to do much other than train, and go get a coffee (which apparently is the most important thing in the world for a footballer). Port's travel routine was far more strenuous than virtually all of the Vic teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back