List Mgmt. Delistings post 2020 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gold Toast fat assistance enabled 51 listed this year, have moved on 10.
With 5 draft picks to come they must be landing around 46 with continued AFL largesse.
Not likely other Clubs will get 40+ then. Probable reduction to 2 Cat B's as well.
Just guessing, but AFL was on the warpath to trim lists before COVID, now have their excuse.

I said months ago we will move on 11.
We have to bring in 3 remember.

If the list drops to 38 then we have to lose 9.

Tony is that 9 before or after we bring in Cameron & Higgins? (I'm taking all others as still purely rumour for the sake of avoiding arguments at this point)

The 38 chat was 38 main list + 2 rookies + 2 cat B rookies. There's an article on the AFL site from early October (here) that has it as 42 + 2 Cat B - but unclear where rookies fit into that. If it's 38 + 2 + 2 we would need to get rid of two rookies and four senior listed players to get under, and that's before taking into account the need to fit Cameron, Higgins, and the draftees.

I'm confused, assuming we trade 2 players in and take our minimum draft pics. How many players do we need to trade in or delist?

Assuming the new list size is 38 + Rookies. I make that 7 players we need to lose.

If that is the case, we've already lost 3 (Ablett, Parsons, Kennerly), so we need to find 4 more. (we've also lost Schlensog but he's a cat B rookie)

Assuming Cocky goes to the lions, and Harry retires, that means only one more space on the list needs to be made. We might be able to trade on another player as icing on any trade cake, but I'm not sure we'll have a lot of success with that approach in a year where almost everyone is having a list squeeze.

I know there are 3 fairly substantial assumptions there, we might trade in more than 2, List Size, and players moving out. But to me this is the only way of framing the conversation, otherwise you end up chasing the whole thing down an endless rabbit warren of possibilities that are just not feasible.

If anyone can shed some light on my assumptions please do.

Last edited:
I'm confused, assuming we trade 2 players in and take our minimum draft pics. How many players do we need to trade in or delist?

Assuming the new list size is 38 + Rookies. I make that 7 players we need to lose.

If that is the case, we've already lost 4 (Ablett, Parsons, Schlensog, Kennerly), so we need to find 3 more.

Assuming Cocky goes to the lions, and Harry retires, that means only one more space on the list needs to be made. We might be able to trade on another player as icing on any trade cake, but I'm not sure we'll have a lot of success with that approach in a year where almost everyone is having a list squeeze.

I know there are 3 fairly substantial assumptions there, we might trade in more than 2, List Size, and players moving out. But to me this is the only way of framing the conversation, otherwise you end up chasing the whole thing down an endless rabbit warren of possibilities that are just not feasible.

If anyone can shed some light on my assumptions please do.

Schlensog was a CatB rookie, meaning it's only 3 off the senior list

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, sigh.

We drop a few old guys off at the kerb on one side of the street and go pick up a few more on the other.

But you do the same thing to get a different result, right?

You won't be surprised to learn I'd be cutting a couple of others, but even if you were keeping all the other veterans, bringing in more to me is pure insanity. Higgins a few years ago maybe. Not now. I don't see what Smith now offers. He's about to turn 32.

If Zuthrie is offered another contract we are not fair dinkum he hasn't been able to string two games together since early May 2018 in that time he's managed 5 games lets get serious Geelong.

You may think so, but he's been emergency more times than I've had hot dinners. They clearly rate him

You won't be surprised to learn I'd be cutting a couple of others, but even if you were keeping all the other veterans, bringing in more to me is pure insanity. Higgins a few years ago maybe. Not now. I don't see what Smith now offers. He's about to turn 32.

They are literally looking at the next 25 games..and they must in their mind think Higgins and Smith makes us better in 2021 ..and in their environment post 30 players are almost max value. Smith FA..Higgins who knows ..I suspect it will be not a lot now we missed out of Crouch as we will hold a bit more of wage.

and what happens at the end of 2021? Well it would seem we will probably look at a Merritt or who ever we can access as a FA again.

Id say the most expensive players to purchase are the year or two before FA ..sort of like Treloar at GWS. Dont like it but thats the way we seem to be going

Cameron, Higgins and 3 picks in draft coming in ... so 5 ins min. More if we bring in a Smith or anyone else.

At least 2 spot less... 7 or 8 spots.

So if we assume NC lands in Bris. We probably need another 3 or 4 names of the listed players?

Taylor, Brownless, Narkle, Tarca..?

Out of curiosity why are you so sure we will use 3 picks in the draft? If we have to give up 1 or 2 first rounders for Cameron and then a 3rd for Higgins we wont have many to use apart from late ones we get from trading Cocky, Constable, Narkle etc. Is there a rule that we have to use a certain number of picks?

Surprised Parsons got the arse. Might get picked up by someone else.
Ive got a conspiracy theory that Hendo and Duncan are going to be traded to get Cameron.
Based on absolutely nothing except their body language in the second half of the Granny.

Ive got a conspiracy theory that Hendo and Duncan are going to be traded to get Cameron.
Based on absolutely nothing except their body language in the second half of the Granny.

s**t that means Danger is going to become a firefighter......Dusty burnt him pretty good!!!!!

Out of curiosity why are you so sure we will use 3 picks in the draft? If we have to give up 1 or 2 first rounders for Cameron and then a 3rd for Higgins we wont have many to use apart from late ones we get from trading Cocky, Constable, Narkle etc. Is there a rule that we have to use a certain number of picks?

The rule used to be that you had to use 3 picks in the start - not sure if that's changed though

You may think so, but he's been emergency more times than I've had hot dinners. They clearly rate him
Like I said somewhere here in the last couple of days They never stopped pumping up Sav and Steven all year and come crunch time both were no where to be seen.

Anyone who is sad to see parsons go should not be in the trade page lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back