The football video games thread

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
What a humorous game.

I mentioned a page or so back my gun left winger, who was amazing, but perennially injured. And when he wasn't injured he had this habit of kicking guys who won possession off him.

Now? My right winger - with whom there is great mutual respect with the left winger, who love each other as leaders, who are in the same mentoring group etc - has picked up negative traits off the LW, and so now I have 2 amazing wingers.... who continue to get red cards because they lose possession and then make it their life's mission to go and hack down the prick who dare took the ball.

It's actually very funny to watch, cos you know they're about to do it, and you're pitying the poor fullback if he makes the mistake of still having the ball by the time the winger catches him.

Last edited:

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
After playing as much as 8 hours of FM a day early in lockdown 2, I've struggled to cobble together 8 hours over the last week. I think I'm over this save. I just can't think of the next challenge. I already took a team from league 2 to the premier league having bought 1 player until I made it to the premier league (every other signing was a FA).

And the thing was? Even as a brand new football manager, I didn't find it that challenging. In what universe can Bradford City be the number 1 team in the world by the end of the 2029/30 season?

I was so close to the mega grand slam. In the 29/30 season I won:
- Club World Cup
- Community Shield
- Super Cup
- League Cup

I'd even stacked the U23 team with enough first-teamers that they brought home the Leasing.com trophy as well.

With 8 games left in the league I was 4 points behind, but I had matches to come against all the contenders. With 2 games left in the league I was up to 2nd, level on points with Man United but a good 20+ goals behind them.

It was going to come down to the final day... My date with destiny vs Manchester United. The team I'd beaten for the Club World Cup and 1 of my FA Cup final wins, but who had beaten me in pretty much every other major match I've played against them in the 11 year save.

I won my way through to the FA Cup final against Tottenham (who've been rubbish this season), and to the Champions League final against Man United. It's the 4th time I've made the Champion's League final - all of them have been against English opponents. (Man U were the 4th different opponent.)

We go into the final match day vs Man United needing a win, cos we were still level on points. In the 88th minute I go 1-0 up and I'm going apeshit. But 6 minutes injury time makes me nervous. At 90+1 I go 2-0 Up. 90+2 they pull one back. 90+4 they pull level at 2-2. 90+6 I take the lead again.

And then 90+8... My nemesis, our man from the previous page, Vinicus Jr scored the equaliser that gave Man U the title. The prick had scored 2 of their 3 goals and wrecked my season. In fact, the draw ended up costing me 2nd place as well, with my goal difference again hurting me as Liverpool jumped up to be equal on points with me but 5 goals better off.

Then onto the FA Cup Final, which I won 3-0... but in the 85th minute my striker - who I should've subbed off, but he was on a hattrick - hurt his calf, ruling him out of the Champions League final. The bloke who, across the 29/30 season dating back to the Club World Club, had scored 51 goals across all competitions, was going to miss our biggest game of the year.

Fortunately his back up was in pretty decent nick; he himself had scored 26 goals across all competitions this season. (In fact he was about to go on to win the Golden Boot for Germany at the World Cup.) He scored 2 in the first half and we took that lead to the sheds. I concede an own goal on the hour mark - fortunately not one of the really awful "I just got FM'd" ones, but still really, really dumb defending.

And then that ******* guy again. Vinicius Junior. 79th minute equaliser. Extra time. My back up striker completes his hattrick with a penalty early in extra time. They score again with the last kick of the first half of ET. We end up going to penalties. 1-1. 2-2. 3-3. 4-4.

They bury their 5th, and up steps my back up striker. The guy who'd scored 29 goals this season. The guy who'd hit a hattrick tonight. The guy who'd buried a penalty only half an hour earlier.

Sprayed it. Didn't even force a save. It was barely inside the 6 yard line. If I were a real coach of a real team and he were a real player and this really happened with such high stakes, I might've put a bullet in him, I was that upset.

I hate this game. From the ultimate slam to Man U ******* me twice in the space of a fortnight, once again costing me the league.

I've spent today going through the offseason. Brazil won the World Cup, with Bradford City having 5 players in the squad and 4 players starting. Until they got to the final, where Brazil's manager apparently hadn't factored in any fatigue, and 2 of my Brazilians who'd started every World Cup game sat on the bench for the final. (They beat Germany in the final - I also had 4 players in that squad and 3 in the starting team.)

I've blown it up. My best/funnest players are all attackers. I've worked hard on ball-playing defenders who can generally double in half back/dm/segunda volante. So I sold up my full backs, bought the world's best CB, bought a third striker (I got the best English striker)....

And this season I'm utilising the little-used 3-2-1-4 formation, with 2 central BCDs and a libero, an anchor man and a segunda volante, a deep lying play maker in the centre of midfield and 2 wingers and 2 strikers. I figure if I'm going to gegenpress I'm going to move more players up the field and put pressure on further up the field. If this doesn't work? It's over. I'll quit after this season.

So I'm open to any suggestions for something more challenging than getting from League 2 to the top-ranked team in the world in 11 seasons.

So I'm open to any suggestions for something more challenging than getting from League 2 to the top-ranked team in the world in 11 seasons.
understanding the rules in the MLS

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006
I’ve very slowly been plugging away with the Bradford City save - I’m thoroughly over it, but the title is an itch I have to scratch. And I still don’t know what’s next.

Anyway, I may have just been FM’d. It’s my first season using the 3-2-1-4 formation, and things are going well. We’ve traded the lead with Chelsea all season and we’re both well ahead of 3rd.

Bring on the round of internationals in early April:
- starting right winger, 9 month ACL(!!!) playing for Belgium
- starting centre back, 7-8 week hamstring playing for Germany
- starting striker who has already scored 45 goals this season, 4-6 week hamstring playing for France
- starting segunda volante, 10-14 days twisted knee playing for Brazil. That next 14 days includes the first leg of the UCL semi.

This ******* game!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

jd2010

Well done boys. Good process, carry on
Feb 1, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, Brentford FC
I’ve very slowly been plugging away with the Bradford City save - I’m thoroughly over it, but the title is an itch I have to scratch. And I still don’t know what’s next.

Anyway, I may have just been FM’d. It’s my first season using the 3-2-1-4 formation, and things are going well. We’ve traded the lead with Chelsea all season and we’re both well ahead of 3rd.

Bring on the round of internationals in early April:
- starting right winger, 9 month ACL(!!!) playing for Belgium
- starting centre back, 7-8 week hamstring playing for Germany
- starting striker who has already scored 45 goals this season, 4-6 week hamstring playing for France
- starting segunda volante, 10-14 days twisted knee playing for Brazil. That next 14 days includes the first leg of the UCL semi.

This ******* game!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Have a go at the glory hunter grand slam. Win each of the following in 10 seasons

- EPL
- Serie A
- La Liga
- Bundesliga
- Ligue 1
- Champions League
- Euros
- World Cup

The opposite end of it would be to win major trophies in the capital city challenge. Try and tick off as many as possible.

- Paris FC (league or major domestic cup)
- Fulham. Closest to london CBD is Chelsea but that would be too easy. (EPL)
- Dynamo Berlin (league or major domestic cup)
- Hearts/Hibs (league only)
- Dinamo Zagreb (european trophy)
- Anderlecht (euro trophy)
- FCSB (Bucharest) (euro trophy)
- Dynamo Kiev (euro trophy)
- Sporting Lisbon (CL only)
- Rayo Vallecano (league or major domestic cup)
- Sparta Prague (euro trophy)

Punt Road Feral

Premiership Player
Aug 23, 2007
Punt Road's Manure Pit
AFL Club
Richmond
Had one of those FM love hate moments on the weekend.

I took over Lokomotiv Sofia in the second tier with the idea of trying to be a Bulgarian powerhouse. Being housed in the capital and with a 22,000 capacity stadium there’s room for growth.

Got promoted very easily in the first season and only dropped one game due to playing back ups and kids.
I didn’t really dip into the transfer market too much either which was good. My biggest regret was I could’ve signed my loan striker on a bosman and being a tight ass with finances that I am, couldn’t get the deal over the line. He was 19 and pretty much scored a goal a game average and got called up for the national team.
Had a very good cup run and made the final but came up short in the final which was expected.

After promotion I signed a few serbs on frees as they are always decent quality and have pretty low wage demands. The only thing is serbs are Considered foreign players which Are limited on match days and in registration.
The Bulgarian league is a little weird where you play everyone twice, then the league splits into two relegation group and championship group.
I ended up finishing second in the relegation group and for some reason ended up in a europa place play off with a team in the championship group which was odd as really I didn’t deserve.
Well anyway I won the final riding my luck so it was a good season from promotion to getting a europa qualifying spot.

It’s pretty damn hard to qualify for europa when you simply don’t have the finances to compete. Played in some see sawing ties but eventually lost to Sion in the third round of qualifying.

In the league I signed some better players on frees and am progressively improving the squad while being cautious of finances.
We went on a pretty strong run of wins in the middle of the year and the confidence in the team was through the roof.
After the winter break it was hard to get the momentum back, we were scrapping some results but not in the same manner.
We topped the league by 12 Points by the time we entered the championship split when the wheels started falling off.
Once we started playing stronger sides every week we had a couple of injuries to key players like my keeper and we started losing and the mojo was lost and so was our confidence.
Levski was chasing us and it didn’t help I lost to them twice.
With two games left they overtook me and I thought I was shot.
Due to the slump I changed tactics and won my second last game just and somehow Levski slipped.
So it can down to the final day and all I had to do was win.
Did a pre game team chat and the team got nervy with the pressure I put on them and it showed on game day.
Went 2-0 down within 10 mins and was hoping Levski would also falter.
We got one back but with Levski 3-0 up I knew my dreams were over and we did the great choke.

Hopefully with a stronger squad I can go one better.

One thing to note in Bulgaria is the youth prospects seem decent or maybe it’s my strong staff in youth recruitment. I have a 16 yr old CM who is 3 stars and is the youngest scorer in europa’s history with a wonderful free kick. Will be interesting to see how he and other youth pan out.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
Aug 11, 2006
From the penthouse to the shithouse...

I finally did it. I started talking about my 2030/31 season above, which was going well up until March/April, before it was ravaged by injuries. The rest of the season pretty much continued this way. I kept winning, but I also kept copping injuries. And when you're only carrying 2 players in each position (plus a couple of club legends who don't play any more, but can fill a bench spot), it starts to burn.

I ended up essentially playing my under 23s in the FA Cup semi final. We lost obviously. We were down 1-0 after the first away leg of the UCL semi against Bayern, so we essentially tanked the second leg of that too.

But it was worth it. We went into the final match day a point in front, so knowing that we had to win it. And there was no real drama, other than whether my gun striker was going to score the hattrick he needed to bring up his season half century (he wasn't able to do it but finished the season with 49 goals, including winning the EPL golden boot with 35 goals). We scored twice in the first half, then early in the second half, and after 11 seasons; having come all the way back from League 2; having had no money to spend until we reached the EPL - we finally won the ******* thing!!!

Having won it, it was time for a bit of a rebuild, cos the club was actually about $100m in debt! (Although our financial status was still "okay", we were in breach of the European FFP requirements.)

I offloaded a bunch of players, only keeping 15% of the profit for the transfer budget. I'd had my eye on a Brazilian wonderkid for 6 months who was going to fill a spot without much depth after those player sales. I agreed the price, I sold the players, and cos of that friggen 15% I was $2.5m short.

After delaying twice, I didn't think his club would agree to a delay again, so I asked the board for the money.

And the *ers said no.

I went through all the whinges, before finally threatening to quit. I thought there's no way they're going to let me, a club legend who has won literally everything in the world that there is to win over the last 5 seasons, leave over $2.5m when they were trying to offer me a $50k a week payrise.

And then they did. So being a stubborn chump, I did end up leaving over $2.5m.

Perhaps even more crazy? My first 2 interviews were with RB Salzburg in Austria, and Marseille who'd just avoided relegation - and despite everything I'd done I didn't get either job!

Getting manager jobs seems ridiculous in this game, I've never figured it out, going right back to being the reigning ACL champion/world club championship 4th place getter with Melbourne Victory and not being able to get another job afterwards in my previous save.

I've won the Premier League. I've won the UCL at least twice. I've won the FA Cup 4 times. I've won the UEFA Cup twice. I've won the League Cup twice. I've won the Community Shield three times and the UEFA Super Cup at least twice. I've won the Club World Championship in my only shot.

Why the * am I interviewing anywhere? Surely everyone from Real/PSG down should be falling over themselves to hire me?

Really annoying that the deadline day deals haven't been done. Just want to start a career mode.

Have you seen anything when they might be done?
No idea, I did notice on my Liverpool career mode that Brewster is still at the club.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
No idea, I did notice on my Liverpool career mode that Brewster is still at the club.
Yeah I ended up just starting one after Partey was moved across.

Career mode is still very broken, but whatever.

My team is

Leno
Bellerin Upamecano Gabriel Tierney
Partey Ceballos
Aouar
Pepe Auba Saka
David
Willian
Ihatarren
Camavinga
Antony
Gravenberch
Nelson
-
Wijndal
Tapsoba
Saliba
Cedric
ESR

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
I’ve found FIFA too fast paced. Changing the sliders makes the game much more enjoyable in my opinion. Only issue with that is when you want to play online it reverts everything back to the fastest speed.
Yeah I am the one who told RickSanchez about the sliders haha.

Yeah I don't play online so no bother to me haha

Back