Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't sure where to put this, but this thread seems perhaps the closest.

Over the years I occasionally come across some useful information that I share. Those who have been here a while know that I don't post general rumour rubbish. I only post what I can pretty much confirm. Anyway, judge for yourself.

So on the weekend I had a conversation with a Crows player over several beers. We discussed a fair bit and in a very open manner. Nothing here is groundbreaking (or maybe even surprising), but definitely confirmed a lot of what we thought.

Amongst the discussion was the following points;

CAMP
  • Post 2017, the players definitely felt the club blamed them fully for the loss. The players however thought there were errors made in selection, including the selection of Kelly and Otten. They thought we were going in too slow.
  • The camp was as most of us have learnt. Yes it was very divisive in the playing group, especially after the fact. Yes part of the camp involved using personal information to try and break the player down. A number of players really resented this.
  • The players pushed the leadership group to go to the club and ask that Collective Minds be removed and not come back to the club. This was done. Then, without any consultation or warning, they re-appeared at the club. Pyke was as much responsible for the whole use of the group as Burton. (I believe this was before the Melbourne game in Alice Springs??) The players were really, really pissed off. They lost complete faith in the coaching panel at this point. When Pyke stared at the players at 3/4 time of that Melbourne game, it was because he knew players were protesting.
  • The split in the group never healed. Some players were super upset at the original camp, some at the betrayal by bringing CM back in, some lost faith in the leadership group who had promised they wouldn't return and the leaders lost faith in the club for not listening.
COACHES
  • Walsh easily rated as the best coach he has had
  • Really highly rated Pods as a coach. Said he was very switched on and an excellent coach. All the players wanted him to stay at the club.
  • Rates Nicks highly. Said he has done an excellent job in 2020.

• A large number of the players returned from the Covid break in terrible shape. He believed it was fully on the players for how poor they were.
  • The players went to Nicks and asked for greater clarification around team selection mid season. Apparently, there was a number of players annoyed and frustrated that they didn't understand how selection was being done and why players were selected or dropped. It improved significantly after this.
  • He said that the playing group is the tightest he has ever seen at the club. He thinks Nicks is excellent and has done a great job re-uniting the group. Said there is a really strong belief in the group and felt very positive for the club going forwards.
OTHER
  • He said the players think that Justin Reid is an idiot. Some believe that John Reid is actually the one pulling the strings still.
  • They find the whole list management side very difficult as Reid lives in Melbourne and so is hardly ever at the club.
  • Said they never see Roo at the club. He is never around the playing group, never in the changerooms and has nothing to do with the players at all.

Well there you go. Hope it is of interest for some of you.
Isn't it a positive Roo does not mingle with the players? I was more concerned he may he at the club every day.

Board members should be arms length distance from the club. Roo being directly involved with hiring staff is a big part of our downfall.

What you said about the camp matches up with what I have been told. Chemistry/trust breaking, it destroyed the players cohesion. But nothing to launch a class action and seek financial damages/loss of income in a court of law. As Caro has suggested.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Isn't it a positive Roo does not mingle with the players? I was more concerned he may he at the club every day.

Board members should be arms length distance from the club. Roo being directly involved with hiring staff is a big part of our downfall.

What you said about the camp matches up with what I have been told. Chemistry/trust breaking, it destroyed the players cohesion. But nothing to launch a class action and seek financial damages/loss of income in a court of law. As Caro has suggested.

My thoughts exactly

You dont want Board members in the weeds with the players and footy dept

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, maybe... But maybe there's a space between "always around the place, getting in the way" and "we never see him". He is the Football Director, after all, nothing wrong with showing your face around the football department now and then. I can imagine why a player / players might see "we never see him" as a negative for a Football Director; they're not coming at it from the same perspective as some supporters. In fact, I think I agree it's a negative.

Yeah, maybe... But maybe there's a space between "always around the place, getting in the way" and "we never see him". He is the Football Director, after all, nothing wrong with showing your face around the football department now and then. I can imagine why a player / players might see "we never see him" as a negative for a Football Director; they're not coming at it from the same perspective as some supporters. In fact, I think I agree it's a negative.
For starters he is the wrong person for that role. It is a sports admin role. Arm length at that, assisting Kelly, formerly Burton. Playing x amount of games is no more qualification than having a driver's licence for 20 years makes you a mechanic.

Malcolm Speed has the similar role on Richmond's Board. I doubt he is seen by the players in the changerooms very often.

To me the board needs independence from the day to day in order to make key decisions and allow the paid staff to runbtge club day to day.

Interesting that Carr (Dustys manager) has confirmed Roo's story that we went hard after Dusty.

Apparently we matched North Melbourne's offer of $11mil over 7 years!!!

Crazy that story never came out til now. Cant say we dont go hard for the big players after this.
So what we're finding out is we are just as unattractive of an option as North are.

Damn...

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Carr (Dustys manager) has confirmed Roo's story that we went hard after Dusty.

Apparently we matched North Melbourne's offer of $11mil over 7 years!!!

Crazy that story never came out til now. Cant say we dont go hard for the big players after this.
Well that makes Martin and we were also the only club beyond Bris to talk to Hodge. Sounds like we do what we can from our side but if people don't want to come over you cant make them. This is for all the club-should-chase-so-and-so's on this board, looks like we go as hard as anyone.

Loyalty...... And massive commercial endorsements.
I've never seen Dusty on TV or anywhere else.

Did they evaporate with chopstick gate?

He's AFL royalty now and will live off that forever, but I do wonder if the commercial side of things ever happened? Unless they mean favourable commercial deals like getting property on the cheap, $1 cars etc

He's AFL royalty now and will live off that forever, but I do wonder if the commercial side of things ever happened? Unless they mean favourable commercial deals like getting property on the cheap, $1 cars etc
I think he did an exclusive with the footy show when his deal was announced.

Last edited:
My thoughts exactly

You dont want Board members in the weeds with the players and footy dept

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Only problem is Roo isn't just a board member. He's also Director of Football.
Don't get me wrong - I don't want him around the players at all, but if the List manager is in Melbourne, you would think the Director of Football might make an appearance.

You do realise there are a shitload of endorsements/sponsorships outside of TV like clothing, sports equipment, footwear and anything he puts his name too can mean $$$'s. Not too mention Richmond "benefactors" and their brown paper bags.

He's the face of Bonds, also some watch ad. Big deal with Puma, and all over Fox promos. Jeep as well.

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

You do realise there are a shitload of endorsements/sponsorships outside of TV like clothing, sports equipment, footwear and anything he puts his name too can mean $$$'s. Not too mention Richmond "benefactors" and their brown paper bags.
Hence the question.

I'm obviously not target market for whatever he is endorsing as I haven't seen him on anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back