EPL Matchday 7

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
Heard the initial prognosis wasn't great today, and he's getting a scan on Thursday.

I think he'll probably miss if there's any doubt, and we'll save him for the Fulham game.

That said, I sort of wonder if Haller will actually start after what happened last time out.

Logically I would expect Moyes to pick Haller over Yarmolenko who was simply appalling off the bench vs City. Bowen playing up front doesn't really seem to work.

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
Logically I would expect Moyes to pick Haller over Yarmolenko who was simply appalling off the bench vs City. Bowen playing up front doesn't really seem to work.
I'd normally agree, but I think Moyes is going to want pace up front and play really counter attacking, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he played Bowen as a striker and maybe Lanzini gets a start. Not that it makes sense for Bowen, but I have a feeling that's going to end up being the case.

I just don't think Moyes rates Haller and his attitude, but if he doesn't play, I think he's surely gone in January.

Dec 22, 2009
South End, AAMI Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Matildas/Socceroos/LFC/MVFC/RCStrasbourg
I'd normally agree, but I think Moyes is going to want pace up front and play really counter attacking, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he played Bowen as a striker and maybe Lanzini gets a start. Not that it makes sense for Bowen, but I have a feeling that's going to end up being the case.

I just don't think Moyes rates Haller and his attitude, but if he doesn't play, I think he's surely gone in January.

Would Moyes not be targeting long balls / crosses into the box with Van Dijk out? Haller should be able to cause some havoc in the air.

Bowen isn't much chop up top which seems a bit counter-intuitive, but it's like Richarlison and Sterling where a lot of his strength in play comes from being able to cut in from the right, and he loses a lot of effectiveness when played one out.

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
Would Moyes not be targeting long balls / crosses into the box with Van Dijk out? Haller should be able to cause some havoc in the air.
True, he does like his crosses old Moyesy.

I dunno, I just think after Haller's lack of celebration scoring against Wolves, there's a bit of an agenda against him now, but he did have a knock in training pre the Spurs game so that's why he didn't make the bench for that one.

FWIW, I think he would actually do really well for a team that dominates possession where he can hold the ball up and bring others into play, but I doubt that say a top 6 team would sign him, I think as I said in the previous matchday thread, he probably goes to Monaco because Niko Kovac loves him apparently.

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
Bowen isn't much chop up top which seems a bit counter-intuitive, but it's like Richarlison and Sterling where a lot of his strength in play comes from being able to cut in from the right, and he loses a lot of effectiveness when played one out.
Yep totally agree, but Moyes in the last 2 games has played him central in parts of the 2nd half. Work rate and running into the channels seems to be his main ask of a striker in our system currently.

Dec 21, 2018
Bay 314
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Boston Celtics, Patriots
The clowns paid 80M....that's some funny sh*t.
All of them can get f*cked, they're just as useless owners as Maguire is a defender.

Shoutout to Leceister though for taking advantage of complete incompetence.

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Heard the initial prognosis wasn't great today, and he's getting a scan on Thursday.

I think he'll probably miss if there's any doubt, and we'll save him for the Fulham game.

That said, I sort of wonder if Haller will actually start after what happened last time out.
Antonio on his day is an absolute handful but Haller may be a bigger problem. No Matip you would think and obvs no VVD. Fab and Gomez are great on the ground but not so much in the air, McBurnie won every single header last weekend and constantly got Sheffield up the pitch. So Haller could be problematic.

DBAH0

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Austin, Tejas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Hammers, Austin FC
Antonio on his day is an absolute handful but Haller may be a bigger problem. No Matip you would think and obvs no VVD. Fab and Gomez are great on the ground but not so much in the air, McBurnie won every single header last weekend and constantly got Sheffield up the pitch. So Haller could be problematic.
I'd like to see Benrahma, Haller, Bowen in a front 3, the former may not be match fit still though.

Agree that Soucek and Haller would cause you problems at set pieces and we really should have taken a point last time we played you at Anfield also.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
You can get one match suspensions for reds? Second yellows for example.

I don't think there's a fixed rule on how many games you get suspended for. Straight red for serious foul play would normally get 3 games but they must have assessed it as dangerous but accidental.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
I'd like to see Benrahma, Haller, Bowen in a front 3, the former may not be match fit still though.

Agree that Soucek and Haller would cause you problems at set pieces and we really should have taken a point last time we played you at Anfield also.

Antonio might be able to play. He was taken off as a precaution when his hammy tightened. Same as in the Spurs game. Benrahma on the bench maybe?

Back