Status
Not open for further replies.

Moggy

Premiership Player
Sep 7, 2012
Oslo
AFL Club
Geelong
We have experienced players we brought in who are still contracted and expect games (Steven, JJ)
We have guys who have been building and waiting for their chance (Zuthrie, Constable, Narkle, Cocky, etc)
We have young players who played games but were squeezed out later on (Atkins, Close, Fog)
We have a bunch of recent draftees (Jarvis, Cooper, Kreuger, De Koning, and so on)
We have a minimum of 3 fresh picks (or 2 + rookie upgrade)
We are linked with 3 players, of which 2 seem very likely
and the list size needs to be reduced.

This is going to get bloody.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Horlin-Smith got 8 years.
Simpson had far more injuries, he also got 8 years. And still eked out a few more at GWS. Good on him. Not many players get 56 hitouts in their last game.

Cowan got 8 years with us.
Some in the head arithmetic I'd say about 20 hours total actually on the ground in that 8 years.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Out of curiosity why are you so sure we will use 3 picks in the draft? If we have to give up 1 or 2 first rounders for Cameron and then a 3rd for Higgins we wont have many to use apart from late ones we get from trading Cocky, Constable, Narkle etc. Is there a rule that we have to use a certain number of picks?

I find this report interesting ...perhaps only one live pick is legal now.. still they have access to nga players so they will list three names..

I suspect we use three.... but there seems a strong under current that a lot of teams will not be overly hard at this draft... making 2021 a strong draft..

As reported by AFL.com.au on Monday, Gold Coast is considering taking as little as just one live selection into this year's draft as the Suns aim to trade up from pick No.5. - Riley Beveridge

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
I find this report interesting ...perhaps only one live pick is legal now.. still they have access to nga players so they will list three names..

I suspect we use three.... but there seems a strong under current that a lot of teams will not be overly hard at this draft... making 2021 a strong draft..

As reported by AFL.com.au on Monday, Gold Coast is considering taking as little as just one live selection into this year's draft as the Suns aim to trade up from pick No.5. - Riley Beveridge

One of their concessions for almost failing as a club is that they can pre-list their academy players without paying a draft pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
So who's still at risk? Of those out of contract Parfitt, Hawkins, Tuohy, Close, Stanley, Simpson and one of either Henderson or Taylor are certain to stay. Okunbor has been talked up so probably stays 1 more year as a category B.

Schlensog, Ablett, Kennerly and Parsons are already gone. You'd think Cockatoo and Brownless are also gone. The others out of contract are Fort, Jarvis, Narkle, Tarca and Z Guthrie.

Fort? You'd think if we moved him on we'd need another mature ruck. I guess if we see Ratugolea and De Koning as potential number 1 rucks we might risk it with only those 2, Stanley and Blicavs.
Jarvis should get another contract based on getting a game near the end of the year.
Z Guthrie and Narke it depends if anyone else is interested and what list space we have I guess. Tarca I've got no idea on.

Of the guys contracted clearly Constable is unlikely to stay. I'd say we'll cut Jenkins despite him being contracted if Cameron comes in given his contract is mainly paid by Adelaide anyway. Atkins is the other tough one. Good clubman and good depth with 1 year on his contract. If the AFL cut list sizes down significantly they'll probably have to let clubs pay out some contracts outside the cap in which case he could be in trouble with guys like Simpson and some other kids going past him.

Overall tough decisions for Wells and co.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Fort out of contract - he’ll be next. The fact they went with ratagolea in the ruck over him at the end of the year said it all. Mature age who isn’t quite good enough.

The RD will need to find some ruck talent somewhere. Stanley has never played a full season. Maybe they have high hopes for the basketballer ... or they rate SDek as a potential back up

Be interested in seeing how he goes could be the best thing for him........and no news on Brownless was he contracted for 2021?

Brownless is staying for 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back