Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe: CROWS 2021 RUMOURS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, maybe... But maybe there's a space between "always around the place, getting in the way" and "we never see him". He is the Football Director, after all, nothing wrong with showing your face around the football department now and then. I can imagine why a player / players might see "we never see him" as a negative for a Football Director; they're not coming at it from the same perspective as some supporters. In fact, I think I agree it's a negative.

Agree. Particularly when he’s on the radio talking about players and what they get paid and what the Crows are doing. To then not be seen by the players is a negative I think, especially when he’s not just any board director, he’s an icon of the club, our only Brownlow medallist and former captain.

If the players think it’s an issue that they don’t see him, then it’s an issue

Big call by the lad *if true. Theres still a big preseason and full season to build relationships and mature. Would have been a tough year for all our draftees but I can see things settling down and returning to a bit of normality next year.

Plenty of time to turn him around. *if true

1. I doubt we would offer that much coin.
2. Would be deadset stupid to tell the club these intentions that far out.
3. Your a Port flog.

I disagree with point 1. If we wanted a 1st year draftee to sign for 4 years then we're factoring in any pay increases. So 4x450 is certainly believable.

We'll see how 2 plays out.

I disagree with point 1. If we wanted a 1st year draftee to sign for 4 years then we're factoring in any pay increases. So 4x450 is certainly believable.

We'll see how 2 plays out.
I'd want to be seeing more of Fischer in early 2021, before offering him that coin. I don't believe it one little bit.

Agree. Particularly when he’s on the radio talking about players and what they get paid and what the Crows are doing. To then not be seen by the players is a negative I think, especially when he’s not just any board director, he’s an icon of the club, our only Brownlow medallist and former captain.

If the players think it’s an issue that they don’t see him, then it’s an issue

If he's exerting that much influence over the player group and it's direction, while not actually engaging with him, then it's a massive problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd want to be seeing more of Fischer in early 2021, before offering him that coin. I don't believe it one little bit.

Why?

He's an early round draft pick - the expectation is he'll turn into a quality player, and $450k would be around the median.

The thing I don't buy is we would have interviewed him a year ago about the prospect of moving to Adelaide. You'd get signs from that about how he'd feel about the move.

If we give him games and a decent contract, which it seems like we are, then the only remaining reason would be he hates it here. Surely that's something a pre-draft interview would catch, especially with our talk of drafting good leader type blokes.

If he was enough of a flight risk to tell the club a year out he's gone, then we would catch it before the draft.

Why?

He's an early round draft pick - the expectation is he'll turn into a quality player, and $450k would be around the median.

4 x $450k is basically what Atkins has taken to go to GC, isn't it? I suspect McAsey would be wanting a fair bit more than that if he was signing for 4 years.

If you are trying to lock up a first year draftee on a long term deal, you are paying him/her whatever it was likely they were likely to receive when they're out of contract in their second year.

Under no point is Fish (or whoever else we draft in the top 10) a case of "I'd like to see more" when it comes to their first contract negotiations. You've already decided that by drafting them with a top 10 pick.

So the Fish rumour is blatantly obvious as nothing more than a Port troll. Ignore the flog who posted it.

What I do think is interesting is that this draft has tall forwards at the pointy end, and given we saw Fish's best work this season in the forward line, who we draft will probably give us an indication as to where we see Fish's future - forward or back.

The thing I don't buy is we would have interviewed him a year ago about the prospect of moving to Adelaide. You'd get signs from that about how he'd feel about the move.

If we give him games and a decent contract, which it seems like we are, then the only remaining reason would be he hates it here. Surely that's something a pre-draft interview would catch, especially with our talk of drafting good leader type blokes.

If he was enough of a flight risk to tell the club a year out he's gone, then we would catch it before the draft.

Either that or he hasn't gelled with the players at all or has issues a coach etc. It is a workplace after all.

Though what is kind of bizarre about the timing (and why I don't buy it, though I do believe we'll inevitably table an offer around that 4x450 mark) is there is still another draft to go. If you're struggling with gelling with a group, well that dynamic is going to get changed up.

McAsey turned down 4 year $450k extension from crows and told them he’s playing 2021 and is requesting a trade to vic.

Wouldn't surprise. Outgoing Hartigan and torn meniscus Talia favoured ahead of him late in the year in dead rubbers. Our desire to put meaningless 4 points ahead of development and future player happiness has gone against us a bit on the past. It wouldn't be the sole reason, but little things like that make decisions easier.

Wouldn't surprise. Outgoing Hartigan and torn meniscus Talia favoured ahead of him late in the year in dead rubbers. Our desire to put meaningless 4 points ahead of development and future player happiness has gone against us a bit on the past. It wouldn't be the sole reason, but little things like that make decisions easier.
Lol, C'mon mate you would believe it wouldn't you

I don't think that rumour is true, but even if we did all the above and he was like 'yeah cool', this has been a very tough year and I can see why the lure of home is very strong compared to the period where we interviewed him. I think he is a massive flight risk personally, just my opinion, but maybe not in 12 months, more likely at the end of his next contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back