AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Dead-eye

Remove this Banner Ad

As a Dogs supporter who always loved Jake it is so obvious that he has put on a heap of weight since he was with us. He was always quite lean but still strong. I reckon you tried to bulk him up to be that burst player in the midfield but he has struggled to lose the weight. He always has struggled to get over injuries and apparently he is not the best eater and trainer. He was fat last year and in the pre season before the injury. It just seems to be his current level. He had that horrific leg break as a junior that I always feared would reappear. Hopefully this extra weight doesn’t cause any further worries with the leg. Would love to see him back at his 2015 best. Not sure if we will ever will.

He arrived at the club overweight and has been to varying degrees ever since. Still a very, very good player, but needs a huge preseason to get back to his best.

This is the sort of thing that happens at the more successful clubs right....Cotchin taking Martin under his wing is one example, Players putting it on GAJ to lift at Geelong is another.

Player driven outcomes.....tbh you just can’t imagine those sorts of things happening at Essendon. God I’d love to read something about Ambrose getting hold of the two you mention over summer.....
The player driven culture thing only works if noone is above the group.

It should be possible to challenge everyone to do what it takes - and do it without screaming at them or belittling. Looking at you Dev Smith.

Re Stringer... as someone else said... he was on fire pre injury and then had to rehab in Melb alone and then came back out of shape. I'm sure he will have a good year next year - but would be helpful if it was an exceptional one.

This guy talent wise is an outright star and freak of a footballer but the lad needs to get super fit ... could be top 5 in the comp at his best and fit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should someone let him know the season’s over?
Jakes never out of season

He either feeds the media some good off season stuff, or enjoys training by himself. If hes back in Melbourne how much running has he been allowed to do outside and training at the club/gyms? (Unsure from WA what the exact restrictions have been in the last 5 weeks since season finish?)

Jakes never out of season

He either feeds the media some good off season stuff, or enjoys training by himself. If hes back in Melbourne how much running has he been allowed to do outside and training at the club/gyms? (Unsure from WA what the exact restrictions have been in the last 5 weeks since season finish?)

No gyms, but you can run or do outdoor PT stuff.

I'd assume Jake mostly needs to run, he's not naturally going to drop weight easily.

No gyms, but you can run or do outdoor PT stuff.

I'd assume Jake mostly needs to run, he's not naturally going to drop weight easily.
Working with a boxing coach is the way to go. It was the secret Charlie Dixon used to get rock hard fit.

He will be nearly 27 by the start of next season, if it doesnt happen next year, it probably won't.

He is out of contract at the end of next year, that normally gives players extra motivation.

Hey all, here's Jake Stringer's highlights reel for 2020 I put together.

Enjoy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back