Pickett's autobiography is apparently a ripper

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
'Apparently' because I haven't read it.

Dave Warner - a crime author placed pen to paper and the detail and graphic nature may have this autobiography steer clear of the typical 'KOUTA' or 'RICHO' tales we are accustom too.

Maybe worth a purchase, supporting a man who didn't play for much this year and keep this thread open for a bit of a book chat. On my Christmas list!

Theodore Roosevelt didn't think it was worth writing his autobiography until 1913 when he was in his mid-50's.

With all due respect to Marlion, and it's a nice story of redemption, but I think I'll pass.
Unlike Marlion...Theodore did not play in two winning GFs...

I wonder if he still wakes up everyday with no one beside him after being rejected every night
Great stuff. As Bazzar alludes to, Warner, of course, was a great Aussie singer/songwriter who wrote and sung “half time at the football”, back in the ‘70s. As well as “suburban boy (which has the line Bazzar uses) “kookaburra girl” and “convict streak”. Half time and the football live was song all Australian teenage boys could relate to at the time. The live lyrics very different to the record ones! I went to a Dave Warner concert (i think, given it was 40 plus years ago) in the Tiger Lounge aka Tiger Room in the Royal Oak Hotel in Chapel St one Saturday night. Dave played a few songs including a 14 min. XXXX-rated version of ”half time at the football”. He then stopped and as it was being recorded someone took the tape off to a nearby place and they made 50 vinyl Eps of those songs. They then came back and had them on sale at the door after the concert had finished! I managed to get one which i had for years before my wife threw it out!

concert

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ill buy the Bachar book but not Marlions. Marlion needs to play another 4 or 5 years before being involved in books. Just my opinion but 20 games not enough but each to his own.
I get what you mean but I think you are focusing on the footy side to much
Pickett’s book will probably only have a chapter or two in regards to his afl journey but the bulk of the book will be about his life and the journey he has undertaken

Picketts seems more compelling to me day 1 because there are so much we just don’t know about him but I’m sure I’ll read and get both

'Apparently' because I haven't read it.

Dave Warner - a crime author placed pen to paper and the detail and graphic nature may have this autobiography steer clear of the typical 'KOUTA' or 'RICHO' tales we are accustom too.

Maybe worth a purchase, supporting a man who didn't play for much this year and keep this thread open for a bit of a book chat. On my Christmas list!

Thanks for saying this.

Apparently Pickett is the co. Author with warner.

I think I'm going to two copies. One for the the salty Collingwood bloke next door

From memory, didn't some supporters try to put together a "GoFundMe" for Marlion earlier this year that got knocked back around salary cap or similar?

Think at the time it said he was supporting 4 kids on 80k-ish, before their salaries got slashed. He isn't on his own in Australia going through hard times this year, though for any tigs in a position to support him for being involved in adding some joy to 2020, it's probably worth looking at this as an alternate to the gofundme.

I'm less interested in learning about the football side of Marlion's journey than I am about developing a better understanding of the environment in which he grew up. In all honesty, Marlion as a footballer is simply a talented hard working team contributor who does his job without any fuss and then moves on to the next game. That is not being disrespectful. It's just that Marlion is competent rather than exceptional and, as such, any narrative about him as a footballer is of limited interest to me.

What does interest me is developing an understanding of the disadvantages and challenges a young indigenous kid faced in growing up and how, be it through strength of character, talent, luck etc, he broke out of destructive patterns that could have left him ending his life as another unknown failure. I'm not suggesting that Marlion's story should be seen as a template for all troubled indigenous kids or that he should be burdened by the unrealistic weight of being labelled his peers' spokesperson. I do think Marlion is more a remarkable man than a remarkable footballer and I'm hoping the book provides some insights into how he's arrived at where he now is.

Theodore Roosevelt didn't think it was worth writing his autobiography until 1913 when he was in his mid-50's.

With all due respect to Marlion, and it's a nice story of redemption, but I think I'll pass.
Aren't you interested in reading his story? Don't you think he has a story worth telling? I can't wait to read it, I'm picking up my copy today. It's $22 at Big W, just buy it.

Aren't you interested in reading his story? Don't you think he has a story worth telling? I can't wait to read it, I'm picking up my copy today. It's $22 at Big W, just buy it.
Of course I'm interested in his story. I thought I'd said as much in my post but I've obviously not made myself clear. What interests me though is the environmental factors that shaped the making of Marlion as a footballer and as a person. It's a depiction of those circumstances that I'm hoping will separate this book from the ruck of so many footballer stories that have been published to date. It's Marlion the man I want to know about and how he came to be Marlion. I can read about Marlion the footballer anytime in any media publication.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back