Opinion 2021 fixture I'd like to see.

Coolangatta

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
An extra round, so 23 rounds, the 1-6, 7-12, and 13-18 categories play each other twice. Double up interstate rival matches, plus two Victorian sides from different "zones" playing each other twice. I'd go with Tigers vs. Pies x2, Cats vs. Hawks x2, Saints vs. Dogs x2, and Blues vs. Dees x2.

Grand final would ideally be in the home state of whoever finishes 1st. Still, naturally, due to the MCG contract, it'll be there, unless Victoria has another wave at the wrong time, which is possible because a vaccine is unlikely until late 2021. By then, there'll be more open travel. If Victoria is unable to host it again, then go with Optus, and Adelaide Oval as a backup.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
I think its going to be another 17 game season again. I dont mind the footymania thing with 1 game being played everyday mid season.
Won’t be 17 games
The league only stopped because they had no plan at the start of the year. In the end they didn’t even have to stop the competition when they had to relocate 10 of the teams (12 even)
Unless we have a significant national outbreak where there’s simply no venues to use anywhere, the season won’t be stopped again.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Won’t be 17 games
The league only stopped because they had no plan at the start of the year. In the end they didn’t even have to stop the competition when they had to relocate 10 of the teams (12 even)
Unless we have a significant national outbreak where there’s simply no venues to use anywhere, the season won’t be stopped again.
Again..... I wont take away Richmonds 2020 Premiership win. They won Fair an square.

No cheating such as salary cap or drug scandals.

Point is that the Corona Virus threw the AFL season on its Head.

There has been rumours being thrown around. Maybe a 22 game season.

Hell Maybe even a 24 game season to make up for the lack of games this season.

An extra round, so 23 rounds, the 1-6, 7-12, and 13-18 categories play each other twice. Double up interstate rival matches, plus two Victorian sides from different "zones" playing each other twice. I'd go with Tigers vs. Pies x2, Cats vs. Hawks x2, Saints vs. Dogs x2, and Blues vs. Dees x2.

Grand final would ideally be in the home state of whoever finishes 1st. Still, naturally, due to the MCG contract, it'll be there, unless Victoria has another wave at the wrong time, which is possible because a vaccine is unlikely until late 2021. By then, there'll be more open travel. If Victoria is unable to host it again, then go with Optus, and Adelaide Oval as a backup.

You do realise that if the first thing occurs (Victoria gets another COVID wave) that the second thing wouldn't occur (more open travel, particularly with WA).

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Richmond sent to hub in WA.
I doubt the AFL will have teams hub in Perth next year especially if most teams can play home games in their home states as expected. Made sense to do it this season as the fixture was already a clusterfcuk but doing it next season would just disadvantage teams having to come over to quarantine and I imagine the AFL would just have us and freo play 'home' games interstate. Hopefully something can be worked out with the state gov so we can have teams fly in and out mostly unimpeded to get games played here similar to how SA did it this year.

I don't care what the fixture looks like so long as we get some games at the MCG. I've missed seeing games there. Watching game after game at the gabba and metricon got boring pretty quickly. The MCG just has this feel about it when games are played there.

I think it will be a normal season to be honest just with smaller crowds due to covid safe plans.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
So you can blame your failed 2021 season on lack of access to the MCG?

Just get Richmond to WA. They haven't played the Eagles in Perth for 3+ years. Always seem to play Richmond outside WA and end up finishing 5th on percentage.

Tigers have had their dream fixture run, 3 flags. Time for them to actually get a tough draw for the first time in a very long time.

Keep on hearing how good Richmond is. Well then they don't need leg ups with the fixture do they.

Oh, and don't worry, Optus is close to exactly the same size as the MCG. Eagles more than comfortable playing at the MCG since Optus was built.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Just get Richmond to WA. They haven't played the Eagles in Perth for 3+ years. Always seem to play Richmond outside WA and end up finishing 5th on percentage.

Tigers have had their dream fixture run, 3 flags. Time for them to actually get a tough draw for the first time in a very long time.

Keep on hearing how good Richmond is. Well then they don't need leg ups with the fixture do they.

Oh, and don't worry, Optus is close to exactly the same size as the MCG. Eagles more than comfortable playing at the MCG since Optus was built.

MCG
MCG
MCG
Marvel
MCG
Gabba
Metricon
Giants Stadium
Metricon
Metricon
Adelaide Oval
Gabba
TIO Stadium
Metricon
Metricon
Metricon
Adelaide Oval
Gabba
Metricon
Adelaide Oval
Gabba

Lol. Richmond just won a flag with a grand total of 0 games with home ground advantage. I'm impressed that West Coast supporters are still clinging to this narrative. Your narrative has been destroyed beyond repair but you're still pushing it. I don't know if that's admirable or not.

Back