Welcome Kyle Hartigan joins the Hawks in a trade from the Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop gap... yep for now. But Hartigan is only 28 turning 29. As a full back Lake was at his best in his later years.

Scrimmers is the obvious 3rd up with Sicerly out.
I like Hartley... he is OK in defence and punishing with his kicking.

In terms of the Strats role: give it aspirationally to to Emerson Jeka. He is fast, and if not heavy, is likely agile.

The Hawks will not be winning the flag in 2021 and so, find out what players can be.

Frost is the one who had Stratton's usual role in 2020 for the most part. The other part of that as things stands is Jeka is currently our only back up tall forward. Given Lewis and Patton have had a pretty torrid time of it, especially in recent times (and Patton forever really) I think he will be needed forward next season.

Problem with not having a reserves-like competition in the state leagues is that it has become virtually impossible to scout other clubs up and coming KPD's development who haven't debuted, but were on the cusp and ready to be exposed to the real stuff. Someone we could get cheap through late-ish draft picks and a low salary.

As a result, we have to settle for okay defender with horridly bad foot skills from a bottom side who doesn't make us better. Will be serviceable as long as he always has a handball option nearby. But in all honesty, we are in a position where we could have taken an educated risk with a KPD in the 22-25 age bracket, similar to what we did with Gilham.

I suppose he has the pre-requisites that Clarkson loves in his KPD.... poor kicking and poor decision making when kicking. Frawley, Frost, Schoenmakers when in the D50, Dawson, etc all heart-in-mouth kicks of the ball.

Worrying sign was that he was not really wanted by any other clubs and the Crows were happy to let him walk for a little salary despite the PR of him being a great player and great guy with great leadership.

Problem with not having a reserves-like competition in the state leagues is that it has become virtually impossible to scout other clubs up and coming KPD's development who haven't debuted, but were on the cusp and ready to be exposed to the real stuff. Someone we could get cheap through late-ish draft picks and a low salary.

As a result, we have to settle for okay defender with horridly bad foot skills from a bottom side who doesn't make us better. Will be serviceable as long as he always has a handball option nearby. But in all honesty, we are in a position where we could have taken an educated risk with a KPD in the 22-25 age bracket, similar to what we did with Gilham.

I suppose he has the pre-requisites that Clarkson loves in his KPD.... poor kicking and poor decision making when kicking. Frawley, Frost, Schoenmakers when in the D50, Dawson, etc all heart-in-mouth kicks of the ball.

Worrying sign was that he was not really wanted by any other clubs and the Crows were happy to let him walk for a little salary despite the PR of him being a great player and great guy with great leadership.
You have no idea what Adelaide offered him to stay and what other clubs inquired

Frost is the one who had Stratton's usual role in 2020 for the most part. The other part of that as things stands is Jeka is currently our only back up tall forward. Given Lewis and Patton have had a pretty torrid time of it, especially in recent times (and Patton forever really) I think he will be needed forward next season.
Surely we only play one of O’Brien, Lewis and Patton. So the one we don’t play is backup before Jeka?

You have no idea what Adelaide offered him to stay and what other clubs inquired
Do you honestly think he'd pick Hawthorn over Adelaide if Adelaide offered him more?
Do you honestly think he'd pick Hawthorn over any other Melbourne club barr North had they offered the same?

We're not a destination club at the moment. Especially not for a 29yo fringe player of a wooden spooner looking for some late-career success.

We're not going to offer a fringe player from a wooder spooner a considerable amount of salary either. That's just dumb list management when we have more pressing needs like a goal kicking KPF and a competent ruck under 28.

Surely we only play one of O’Brien, Lewis and Patton. So the one we don’t play is backup before Jeka?
I think both Lewis and Patton play together in an ideal world. Whether we can get both fit at the same time is another question entirely.

Tim Obrien the one to miss but he's not really a key forward either plus I expect he will continue to swing between ends anyway

Did the 3 of them play any games together this year?
No, Patton and Lewis didn't play in the same team even once
Lewis had his worst game of the year in the one game O'Brien didn't play but that's not setting the bar very high either

Bingo.

This has been a problem, imo, with our recruiting, and more so team selection, year in year out.

We take risks on players with career ending injuries, or bad characters (Garlet etc) like it's a free shot, but we never take a risk on key position players in the age bracket you mention as a rookie or late draft (except for Gilham and Bouman, seems once bitten twice shy), if we did we wouldn't at team selection anyway.

And to read on here we use a team defense so they don't have to much chop 1/1 anyway.

Big boodied defender under our nose as a prefect stopgap at Box Hill for 2yrs, but we never give them the chance. Instead we're always looking for the holly grail from injured players and expecting miracles from our fitness mob or constantly stopgaping. We have NOT developed one quality key backman in Clarkos time at the club. This is an indictment on our ability to spot, teach, and mature KEY POSITION BACKMEN from the ground up. In fact I'd say our youth development has been the poorest in the comp, for quite a while now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good pickup , only a 2 year deal which is nice. With no Frawley Sicily or stratton next year we desperately needed to stock up on a key defender while Kosi develops. He’ll be solid for us I reckon. Best of luck Kyle.

I reckon Hartigan will probably get number 12.
I would like the club to offer that number to Will Day, instead. It was his granddad’s number, after all.

I would like the club to offer that number to Will Day, instead. It was his granddad’s number, after all.
Yes. Day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back