News VFL / NEAFL merger

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL sides have been invited to do one of three options. Enter their own side , align with an existing or new club. Spread their players over several clubs.
I doubt we would not be entering our own side.

How will this work? How are sides like port Melbourne/ Coburg/ Williamstown etc going to be able to afford interstate travel etc if there are teams from the northern states involved..

How will this work? How are sides like port Melbourne/ Coburg/ Williamstown etc going to be able to afford interstate travel etc if there are teams from the northern states involved..
AFL funding it. Would also expect that the AFL sides would do more traveling than the VFL sides.

That’s a big call considering They’re leaking money left right and centre. Will be good to see if the competition works though, would hate to see the Victorian stand alone clubs fold.
They had to for development reasons.
The NEAFL was already dead at the NT had pulled out and the Northern clubs wanted a better quality comp to play their reserves in. They will cut money from other areas as they can not let the next level comp in Victoria die.

Of the 9 (?) NEAFL sides, how many are expected to actually play in the VFL?
I don't know enough about the comp but would you expect the four AFL sides from NSW/QLD to try and maintain separate teams?
It may only be the 4 AFL reserves sides. I doubt anymore will. NT had already puled out a few months ago.

ant555
For someone that doesn't quite understand the why.
Are you able to explain why the AFL are doing this? Was this in the pipeline and COVID was just the excuse, was it needed? Good thing? Bad thing?

ant555
For someone that doesn't quite understand the why.
Are you able to explain why the AFL are doing this? Was this in the pipeline and COVID was just the excuse, was it needed? Good thing? Bad thing?

The Northern clubs reserves have been an issue for a while. The quality of the NEAFL was less than some of the Division 1 / Premier leagues in Melbourne. There had been rumblings about national reserves comps for a while and then when the covit issue hit I think they where looking at list cuts with internal development and scratch matches but 4 months on they now know it does not work. The VFL would have needed funding anyway as they could not let the second tier comp die in Victoria. It is the one area they could not cut back funding.

Of the 9 (?) NEAFL sides, how many are expected to actually play in the VFL?
I don't know enough about the comp but would you expect the four AFL sides from NSW/QLD to try and maintain separate teams?

Southport are reportedly keen. Money won’t be an issue there. Not sure sure on the others.

I’m not sure what the NEAFL salary cap is but I think somebody mentioned it was $200k. The VFL standalone is about $400k. So it’s a significant jump. Though those figures are pre-COVID and might be reduced.

If it's true the way they notified the NEAFL sides is pretty poor TBH.. They have a responsibility to look after people who have investment into their businesses better than that.

Having a little bit to do with one i know it was a considerable investment from a lot of people to try and build the program/club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it's true the way they notified the NEAFL sides is pretty poor TBH.. They have a responsibility to look after people who have investment into their businesses better than that.

Having a little bit to do with one i know it was a considerable investment from a lot of people to try and build the program/club.
They had to know something given it was public at least 3 months ago that the NT was out and the league was folding.

They had to know something given it was public at least 3 months ago that the NT was out and the league was folding.
Literally just had it confirmed that they already knew. Just another bullshit article...

Anyway thats one non-AFL club NEAFL side that is out at this stage. Though they will continue to talk to the AFL to see what's possible down the track. It was good for the region but oh well.

Last edited:
Can see Brisbane and the Gold Coast having alignments, almost definitely the gold coast. Sydney and gws could go either way, I would have thought gws would align with a Canberra side (but would be difficult to get players up and back week in week out, and looks unlikely now anyway).

Neafl had been very confused with what it was going to be for awhile and many of the non aligned clubs just didn't have enough money or support to sustain it. The number of non aligned clubs have fallen off the cliff since year 2 or 3. there are nine former clubs, not including the nt thunder; and by the end of the day there were nine in the comp with 4 afl aligned.

In the vflw the afl sides were the ones who would be travelling to the nt, rather than those who are standalone. Imo there will be alot more aligned sides (like there were 10 or so years ago). North have already said/has been reported they can't afford there own side)

Southport are reportedly keen. Money won’t be an issue there. Not sure sure on the others.

I’m not sure what the NEAFL salary cap is but I think somebody mentioned it was $200k. The VFL standalone is about $400k. So it’s a significant jump. Though those figures are pre-COVID and might be reduced.
I'd guess Sydney Uni would be a part of it.

Salary cap in Vic is 300k now.

The money will now prevent it but the ideal outcome for the game would have been an AFL reserves comp and the AFL funding a decent VFL comp with the Nab League aligned to VFL clubs. That would give us 3 very strong second tier leagues. Will not happen now for a while sadly.

I suspect we will enter our own team and part of the set up may well be having some our experienced VFL players topping up their earnings as part time development coaches a couple of days a week in the AFL system.

Confirmed licences:

Standalone second-tier clubs: Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Southport, Werribee, Williamstown
Standalone AFL clubs: Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast SUNS, GWS GIANTS, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney Swans
Aligned clubs: Sandringham, Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons

The largest second-tier football competition in Australia is set to begin in April next year and will consist of a 16-round season, providing all players with a premium standard of football.

The VFL and east coast second-tier competition will integrate into a streamlined calendar for men’s football with the 2021 NAB League Boys, with both seasons set to begin in April, running concurrently with the 2021 Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

All clubs will have connections to community clubs and pathway programs, including a varied alignment to Under-19 NAB League clubs for Victorian-based teams.

The name of the competition will be announced in the coming weeks with the competition to maintain a strong connection to the heritage of the respective Hard Yakka / Totally workwear VFL and Toyota NEAFL competitions and the communities who support them.

The VFL and east coast second-tier competition will sit alongside the SANFL and the WAFL in 2021 to provide players with the highest level of second-tier football. The AFL will continue to work with all AFL clubs on their non-selected AFL players ahead of their respective 2021 seasons.

The AFL will continue to work closely with AFL NSW/ACT and AFL Queensland to ensure the continued development and progression of premier men’s and women’s competitions in the State and Territory.

The salary cap is set at $200,000 for standalone clubs and $100,000 for AFL and aligned clubs. As previously communicated, there will be no licence fee payable by any club to participate in the 2021 second-tier competition with the AFL to subsidise all approved club travel for interstate matches.

A date for commencement of pre-season training ahead of the 2021 season will be advised in due course.

The AFL will continue to review all arrangements including return-to-train and return-to-play protocols in consultation with clubs, the various State Governments and respective Health Officers to ensure the health and safety of everyone involved in this competition remains the priority.

Confirmed licences:

Standalone second-tier clubs: Aspley, Coburg, Frankston, Northern Bullants, Port Melbourne, Southport, Werribee, Williamstown
Standalone AFL clubs: Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Footscray, Geelong Cats, Gold Coast SUNS, GWS GIANTS, North Melbourne, Richmond, Sydney Swans
Aligned clubs: Sandringham, Box Hill Hawks, Casey Demons
I'm missing something. 23 teams and a 16 round comp?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back