News Isaac Smith to nominate Geelong as UFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any Hawk saying he aint much chop now is lying. Has plenty of good footy left in him.

I have made no qualms about it. I am not happy he has gone to you guys. We are rivals after all.

However Isaac is a gun and has been for a long time. Great get by the Cats.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
To be honest, that rivalry stopped around the point where you hit bottom 4. Adelaide, GCS, Sydney etc are your rivals now.

In the race to the spoon.

I enjoy watching us do well. Which we did this season because of the recruiting, development, coaching and execution. So I expect that we'll be thereabouts next year too. Gotta trust the club, instead of whinging and s#itcanning every decision they make that you dont agree with.

Yep, we make a GF, get beat by a dynasty team and people still finding ways to complain. Get excited Cats fans.We were not far off at all this year and I love how aggressive we are trying to better ourselves to get this elusive flag. Better than twiddling our thumbs and not dong anything. We will be as good a chance as anyone next year. You have to strike whilst the iron is hot, and it's hot right NOW

The last sentence is the most important and i think we have room for both of them anyway.
No we don't that was shown this year, playing Steven is but one example. Every old player takes the spot of a young one who will get his 50 games and one day be in what we are told is the 'window' 24-27 year old. We have several players that we have played consistently and it worked!
Stupid ,stupid to keep recruiting 32 year olds. And no young ones won't easily make their way into the team when oldies are selected each game. There will be a time, when Cook and Scott are gone when, we will be absolutely stuffed. It is almost like they are trying to create an individual legact legacy not a club one. Play the bloody kids, Create the new dynasty.

No we don't that was shown this year, playing Steven is but one example. Every old player takes the spot of a young one who will get his 50 games and one day be in what we are told is the 'window' 24-27 year old. We have several players that we have played consistently and it worked!
Stupid ,stupid to keep recruiting 32 year olds. And no young ones won't easily make their way into the team when oldies are selected each game. There will be a time, when Cook and Scott are gone when, we will be absolutely stuffed. It is almost like they are trying to create an individual legact legacy not a club one. Play the bloody kids, Create the new dynasty.
Nothing short of a premiership will be redemption for these decisions now - failure to secure one in the next 2 years (probably has to happen next year) and this period of the Football departments history will not be looked favourably upon IMO.

This is a narrow view in my opinion. Some player types we dont have room for (eg constable) as we are stacked for inside mids and small forwards. We have heaps of room for more outside run and will drop other guys to fit them in. All of Smith Higgins Clark etc should be best 22 next year.

If the kids are good enough they will push other players out ala oconnor henry miers parfitt etc.

While i'm not really for signing guys over 30, I think it's ok if they constantly keep an eye on the future and use their draft picks. No trading away picks, unless they are under 30 and a gun, like Jeremy Cameron.

They always need to be mindful to give games to a younger player when a chance opens up due to injury or whatever. And they have done this recently. Otherwise we will fall off the cliff badly.

I enjoy watching us do well. Which we did this season because of the recruiting, development, coaching and execution. So I expect that we'll be thereabouts next year too. Gotta trust the club, instead of whinging and s#itcanning every decision they make that you dont agree with.
And as a shareholder in a not for profit org we can criticise and call to account as much asw e like. Just like the President can call us names. We own the club, they don't.

What's worse? Wasting 9 games on a 4x B&F when we're pushing for a premiership in the hope he gets fit and rediscovers his form? Or wasting 108 games on Jordan Murdoch?

Good get . Should fit in nicely. smith to long kick to Hawkins & Cameron. Hopefully we speed things up and bang it in rather than over possess. However we wont have any players in 3 years time!
I'd trade 10 years of dogshit if we can snag another flag. It'll hurt if we don't pinch one though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's worse? Wasting 9 games on a 4x B&F when we're pushing for a premiership in the hope he gets fit and rediscovers his form? Or wasting 108 games on Jordan Murdoch?
Hahahaha one of the best posts I've seen. We overrate youth massively.

Steven will have a great 2021. Just think he was a long way behind and unfortunately he couldn't make it but give him a preseason and I think he will surprise a lot especially if he can get fit enough to play midfield.

Nothing short of a premiership will be redemption for these decisions now - failure to secure one in the next 2 years (probably has to happen next year) and this period of the Football departments history will not be looked favourably upon IMO.
Yeah if we lose half decent youngens cause of these types it has to be a flag now.
Creating such a big list hole now.

Both poor decisions

Bringing in 30+ year old free agents actually doesn't hurt the long term at all. You pick one less kid now and one more when they retire in 1-2 years, when those players are in their mid 20s the difference between them is negligible. There's a big risk in the medium term when we stand to lose the majority of the current best 22 over a couple of years but free agency mitigates that because we apparently aren't finding it hard to attract players. Where I'm actually concerned is the short term believe it or not - obviously you bring in these guys for the next two seasons but are they going to give you their early career output? My worry is that we'll actually shoot ourselves in the foot by forcing guys like Smith and Higgins in when the freshness of young players might be what the team needs.

Time will tell. But if this strategy works in the short term it works full stop because everything else will average out over the longer term.

If you use that outlier as an example then we might as well not draft at all

Bringing in 30+ year old free agents actually doesn't hurt the long term at all. You pick one less kid now and one more when they retire in 1-2 years, when those players are in their mid 20s the difference between them is negligible. There's a big risk in the medium term when we stand to lose the majority of the current best 22 over a couple of years but free agency mitigates that because we apparently aren't finding it hard to attract players. Where I'm actually concerned is the short term believe it or not - obviously you bring in these guys for the next two seasons but are they going to give you their early career output? My worry is that we'll actually shoot ourselves in the foot by forcing guys like Smith and Higgins in when the freshness of young players might be what the team needs.

Time will tell. But if this strategy works in the short term it works full stop because everything else will average out over the longer term.
The bizarre thing is that the success of 07-11 was built mainly on kids. Putting games into them and having them learn to play together. The opposite strategy of now

good point. These 30+ players are gonna have to get it done over 22 weeks, MCG games and a tough fixture from finishing 2nd. Need some fresh young meat to push through also! Blokes like Clarke and Narkle just need to bang down the door if they stay that is.

well I guess we can see the writing on the wall for Clarke - the speed we really needed to break the lines in the Grand Final will now have a mercenary playing in his spot - why would you stay?

I'm not sure why we draft anymore - is it just in case we get another Tim Kelly?

Pretty sure it's time for David Clarke to move on anyway

As for Jordan Clark, every indication is that he likes it at Geelong, that he wants to stay and that Geelong want him to stay. If the wing is going to be Clark's long term role then he should look at this as a learning opportunity, he's now got a 10 year, 200 game & triple premiership winger he can learn from, and ultimately if he's good enough he's find himself in our best 22

Alternatively, long term he may be seen to be slotting into our backline & in that case, Smith's acquirement shouldn't have any impact on if Clark finds himself in the team or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back