News VFL / NEAFL merger

Jul 15, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Celtics, Colts, Renegades
The likes of Frankston and Coburg can barely afford a team in a city competition, if you want them flying up the east coast it'll be AFL subsidised forever.
I get that part. I would just rather a proper second tier competition or only Vic. I just don’t like compromised solutions I guess when it comes to something like this.

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
I can't believe Aspley joined honestly
Clubs have to make the jump somewhere and I agree this seems sink or swim fort Aspley.

In the same breath - this was a huge opportunity for Southport to have become a player in a major comp.

They may have missed the boat.

Clubs have to make the jump somewhere and I agree this seems sink or swim fort Aspley.

In the same breath - this was a huge opportunity for Southport to have become a player in a major comp.

Makes complete sense for Southport. They should have simply expanded them instead of making the suns but ah well

What do you mean

I don’t get it. If Lions, Suns, Giants and Swans have stand-alone joining what’s the point of Aspley and Southport joining?
Development of football at the next Level in Brisbane and the GC . There are now 2 clubs in SEQ where a player can have a decent chance to play second tier football.

Nov 5, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Packers, Bucks, Pens, M's, Chelsea
What do you mean
I was pushing the fact that they were so vocal in being a franchise in the AFL as a stand alone many moons ago. They have the infrastructure, dollars and facilities in place.

I thought it a bit strange that they didn't jump at the chance to go head first into a second tier and use their success in that vein as a feeder for QLD.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I still don't get 22 teams into 16 rounds? Not everyone is playing each other once?

Are they going to make 2 conferences like the AFLW had?

why didnt they just make it 16 teams for 16 rounds?

I still don't get 22 teams into 16 rounds? Not everyone is playing each other once?

Are they going to make 2 conferences like the AFLW had?

why didnt they just make it 16 teams for 16 rounds?
Who would you kick out? They're revamping the comp, all the clubs should have the option of joining the new one

I haven't even looked at the teams, i'm trying to calculate the logistics of 22 teams into 16 rounds first.
Play a bunch of teams once, stand alone teams are probably unlikely to travel interstate

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Play a bunch of teams once, stand alone teams are probably unlikely to travel interstate

I understand that but say 1 team then doesn't play the top 6 teams at all and finishes in top 4 vs a team that finishes outside top 4 by percentage yet has played the top 6 teams.

I understand that but say 1 team then doesn't play the top 6 teams at all and finishes in top 4 vs a team that finishes outside top 4 by percentage yet has played the top 6 teams.
I mean it isn't perfect but in a post COVID season they have to make these adjustments

Eleven 38

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Canucks, Cowboys, Renegades
NFL does 32 teams into 16games, its doable, but there is always going to be a probability of a garbage team in finals, but hey 7th-8th normally is in the afl anyway.

Fin ice Smuggler

Cancelled
Nov 13, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
NFL does 32 teams into 16games, its doable, but there is always going to be a probability of a garbage team in finals, but hey 7th-8th normally is in the afl anyway.

yes but they have divisions within conferences. And those teams within the division play same amount of games as each other.

Is this 2nd tier comp going to do something similiar?

I was pushing the fact that they were so vocal in being a franchise in the AFL as a stand alone many moons ago. They have the infrastructure, dollars and facilities in place.

I thought it a bit strange that they didn't jump at the chance to go head first into a second tier and use their success in that vein as a feeder for QLD.
But Southport are in?

This is a very good thing.
It is but I have some real concerns with the $200k cap . I know some second division clubs that have operated on budgets more than that in recent history.
That is not much coin to spread over 25 odd players.
I will have to try and find out what the SANFL and WAFL caps are but it seems a bit mickey mouse to me.
Like the overall concept and the fact the AFL can line up the draws to suit the AFL clubs when they play each other.

Smaller divisions would help reduce travel.
I think the draw will be based on AFL teams / AFL aligned teams playing most games against each other in line with the AFL draw and the stand alone clubs having limited travel. I would say Aspely and Southport would obviously play the Lions and GC at home and host the other stand alone sides with maybe a couple of trips to play AFL reserves sides.

Back