Status
Not open for further replies.

sauron256

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2009
Taz
AFL Club
Geelong
Indeed. Up to the experts to explain how a three-peating juggernaut becomes the competition's pariah club in only five years.
At least posters on this board have stopped pointing to Hawthorn's ruthless moving on of their older players as an example of how to turn over your list that we should be following!

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Exactly the type of player we need. Seems the club has noticed we lack outside speed so are looking to change that, hence why Clark will stay and we're happy to say goodbye to Chook.
We need outside runners who kick the ball and kick it long, especially into our forwardline.
I look forward to the system we will employ next year on the way to a flag. I reckon it'll be 2011 type football.

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
If you use that outlier as an example then we might as well not draft at all

Hardly. But just pumping games into young players doesn't really achieve anything. Playing lots of VFL and a handful of AFL games doesn't seem to have harmed Simpson. We're better off being selective with how many games we give to youngsters and seeing who develops their game and grabs the opportunity with both hands. Taking a player with massive weaknesses and giving them 80 games won't automatically produce a good player.

It's a seriously big coup.

Cameron was locked into GWS. Collingwood and Essendon have alot more money. Meets with Chris Scott and suddenly...

Smith plays for the arch-enemy, he was being offered 3 years at Melbourne or 2 years at Hawthorn. He meets with Chris Scott and suddenly....

The team, the vision and the location appear to be highly attractive to players around the league.

Just on Scott, Guthrie said the following in his acceptance speech last night

In particular I’d like to give a big thank you to Scotty for being a great coach and a great person around the club for the last 10 years. I couldn’t imagine playing under another coach. I really enjoy our relationship.

For all the external crap that Scott cops, indications are he's highly rated within the club and that's high praise from a player

And thinking back to last year, didn't Scott & Jenkins catch up while both were on holidays overseas and that played a role in the Jenkins trade

Hahahaha one of the best posts I've seen. We overrate youth massively.

Steven will have a great 2021. Just think he was a long way behind and unfortunately he couldn't make it but give him a preseason and I think he will surprise a lot especially if he can get fit enough to play midfield.

Steven's games were good anyway he just got injured at the wrong time.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
If Taylor is to retire, there's no need to replace him with another tall down back - someone like Kolo who's much more suited to locking down anyway can take Harry's spot, which then opens a spot for Clark to play as that rebounding defender we've been crying out for. Means we can have the Long Striding Isaac Smith on a wing while still getting games into Clark. That's my preference anyway.

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
Just on Scott, Guthrie said the following in his acceptance speech last night

For all the external crap that Scott cops, indications are he's highly rated within the club and that's high praise from a player

And thinking back to last year, didn't Scott & Jenkins catch up while both were on holidays overseas and that played a role in the Jenkins trade

Teacher's pet

If Taylor is to retire, there's no need to replace him with another tall down back - someone like Kolo who's much more suited to locking down anyway can take Harry's spot, which then opens a spot for Clark to play as that rebounding defender we've been crying out for. Means we can have the Long Striding Isaac Smith on a wing while still getting games into Clark. That's my preference anyway.

Yep especially at the MCG where we struggle on the wider expanses.

Jun 24, 2008
tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Think of the worst ground for a skinny winger who's game relies on space and room of the MCG to thrive.....a few bad games in a row at the Cattery and the locals will soon get restless. Good luck to him but I reckon Cats fans will turn pretty quickly on an under performing Hawk in their team..

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Think of the worst ground for a skinny winger who's game relies on space and room of the MCG to thrive.....a few bad games in a row at the Cattery and the locals will soon get restless. Good luck to him but I reckon Cats fans will turn pretty quickly on an under performing Hawk in their team..
We don't play every game at Kardinia Park, so the Long Striding Isaac Smith is in luck!

scooterstar

Rookie
Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Not an underperforming hawk now, he part of the blue and white hoops family. And Mitch Duncan seems to do alright at K.Park so i think isaac will fit in fine...

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong

Maybe ..but I suspect its as much about adding certain qualities when we play at the G ..as to the 9 game we play at GMHBA

Lana

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 23, 2010
AFL Club
GWS
The bizarre thing is that the success of 07-11 was built mainly on kids. Putting games into them and having them learn to play together. The opposite strategy of now

Average games per draft pick for the clubs that draft them are plummeting, players are more willing to move around, under the current trading climate and rules we would have struggled to keep the group together to get them to 07. After 06 a few might have requested trades, and given that our 99 draft would be a year out from free agency, cap pressure would probably have forced someone out.

Back then you could plan that a successfully drafted player would be there for 12 years, you don't have that security these days. The pressure of free agency puts that down to 8, who knows if it will be freed up further.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Steven's games were good anyway he just got injured at the wrong time.

If we change to a more aggressive movement game Steven may fit in a lot better... but all should know when he gets it , he is not going to look for a the slow short pass.

someday-somehow

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
The Hills
AFL Club
Geelong
Hardly. But just pumping games into young players doesn't really achieve anything. Playing lots of VFL and a handful of AFL games doesn't seem to have harmed Simpson. We're better off being selective with how many games we give to youngsters and seeing who develops their game and grabs the opportunity with both hands. Taking a player with massive weaknesses and giving them 80 games won't automatically produce a good player.
With respect I think you've missed my point, I think recruiting Free agents around 30 or over puts pressure on the club to play them ahead of youngsters - see Steven this year. Didn't appear to me that he earned his spot.

Also many young players can stagnate in the VFL but relish the AFL standard and environment, it's really hard to prove that without getting a decent run at it.

Look I really hope this all works out and yes we do need run, I actually don't mind the acquisition on smith except 2-3 years ago would be better than now. I know it doesn't cost us anything but he and others take up list spots.

I am an outsider looking in as most of us are but I can only look at the evidence in front of me, in the finals our consistently best players were not 30+ mercenaries - maybe we've got a few 20 somethings running around in the VFL that could do a better job but can't get a decent run of games to prove it.

Only time will tell if this method proves to be successfull, but know this, I and others have posted similar lines to the above for the last 3-4 years and so far nothing has changed, except this year we didn't meet Richmond until the Grand Final.

Nov 12, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong

We play a third of our games there...

CarAttack

Senior List
Apr 28, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Lucky we are the only team that doesn’t play home finals on our own home ground then.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Average games per draft pick for the clubs that draft them are plummeting, players are more willing to move around, under the current trading climate and rules we would have struggled to keep the group together to get them to 07. After 06 a few might have requested trades, and given that our 99 draft would be a year out from free agency, cap pressure would probably have forced someone out.

Back then you could plan that a successfully drafted player would be there for 12 years, you don't have that security these days. The pressure of free agency puts that down to 8, who knows if it will be freed up further.

100%... If they are ready to play and aren't then other clubs will hover . Nothing is free ... for every group we bring in like we are ..then someone misses out and looks around

Maybe ..but I suspect its as much about adding certain qualities when we play at the G ..as to the 9 game we play at GMHBA

Bingo. Look where finals will be next year.

scooterstar

Rookie
Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The thoughts of some on here about recruiting more senior players into the list is laughable.

The current form of this club has a 3-4 year window to deliver premierships.

That was what a generational player like Danger choosing to come did for us. It pushed us back up the list from what other successful rebuilding sides now have been forced to do by finishing down the bottom, drafting high and having losing seasons.

We are in it up to our eyeballs and if and when we get Cameron, it will be the same shot keeping us up there again.

Losing some younger players may happen and may hurt but will be mitigated by having star players on the list and being a successful “destination” club during and continually in free agency and trade periods.

And that will continue to be the lure that peaks the interest of restricted free agents and free agents to come over the next 3-5 years and on.

Enjoy the ride, it sure as s**t beats barracking for a club not contending!!!

GO CATS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back