News Isaac Smith to nominate Geelong as UFA

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't subscribe to the bring in the ready-mades for the "now' policy?

As I've seen very little evidence that it works, no.

Some players obviously become available at exactly the right time to provide what you need and are worth the punt. Ottens clearly was. Dangerfield clearly was. But the closer to you get to age 30 and/or existing injury concerns, alarm bells should start ringing. Too much can go wrong. It's one thing for supporters to be naive, and pretend players with existing problems will always come good. It's always sunshine and rainbows for them, but the club SHOULD be far more hardnosed and realistic. If anything they're worse than the most gerbil-faced optimist.

Last edited:

Hypothetically what happens if Dustin Martin next year turns up overweight, reveals he's been having mental health issues, has a terrible year including injuries and then announces at seasons end that he wants to move to Geelong to get out of the limelight. We can pick him up for a 4th round pick and Richmond will pay most of his wage. Do we:

a) Say no thanks.
b) Do the deal and play him enough to see if he can rediscover his form.

Thoughts?

For those angry about Steven would you do the deal for Martin? How good does a player need to be to pick them up for virtually nothing after a troubling period? And how does a 4x B&F winner not get over that bar?

a) Say no thanks.

And it won't happen anyway. And Martin's a much, much, MUCH better player.

It's almost like basically every 18 year old ever has massive weaknesses by AFL standards and Wells can't magic up the perfect teenager to pick every time. Most top 5 picks have massive weaknesses to start with let alone the picks where we're trying to find diamonds in the rough. It's almost like AFL players tend to be better at 28 than at 18. Ground breaking idea I know.

So because he can't pick perfectly every time we should never try? And I've yet to see anyone post anywhere ever that every player should make it.

Amazing how quickly this club has lost its balls if that's how they're thinking.

I'm not against selective use of RFA/UFA but a 32yo Smith when list numbers are about to be trimmed makes little sense to me.
If we lose Clark over this I'll be livid :eek:

He will be an elite rebounding intercepting defender mate.
We are not far apart in our assessment of his talent. I just don’t believe you can make a career as a defender in a quality team when you can’t defend. Until he proves that to me I see his only scope as being a wingman.

We are not far apart in our assessment of his talent. I just don’t believe you can make a career as a defender in a quality team when you can’t defend. Until he proves that to me I see his only scope as being a wingman.

He can't defend and can only play one position...... Do we move him on then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I certainly preferred Clark as a wingman last year - and thought he looked shaky in defence early last year ..
That’s not to say he couldn’t be trained and drilled as a defender, but he looked such a natural up on a wing (when the rest of the team was slumping, too) that I’d personally much prefer to watch him hoofing it into F50 (and chipping in with the odd long goal, too)

#clarkwing

From FoxSports rolling commentary

Just in: Hawthorn gets a third round pick for Isaac Smith as compo. That suggests the contract isn't huge - though his age also impacts that.

Agreed, so I hope the chatter about sacrificing him on the altar to appease GWS aren't true.
I thought that has already been established as untrue.

From FoxSports rolling commentary

Just in: Hawthorn gets a third round pick for Isaac Smith as compo. That suggests the contract isn't huge - though his age also impacts that.

Word was our offer was the lowest money from all 3 he received.

a) Say no thanks.

And it won't happen anyway. And Martin's a much, much, MUCH better player.

You're right it won't happen. I would love to see it though just so we can watch you yell and scream at the temerity of the clubtaking a 30yo 3x Norm Smith medalist basically for free when we're competing for a premiership. I'll give you credit in taking the bigfooty stereotype of preferring players be young rather than good to the illogical extreme.

It's different but it's done. A few months to get used to the idea. Steven can give him the 9 so he follows in the footsteps of the great man Zac Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back