Oppo Camp Non Giants AFL discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The Dangerfield hit.
Proof positive that certain players are protected. Jezza got weeks for the same raising elbow action on Andrews in a contest. If it was Toby then he would have gotten at least 4...

BTW I don't think Dangerfield deserved suspension. Just bad luck for Vlastuin. Like Ward in the 2016 Prelim. Vlastuin at least has a medal.

Re: The Dangerfield hit.
Proof positive that certain players are protected. Jezza got weeks for the same raising elbow action on Andrews in a contest. If it was Toby then he would have gotten at least 4...

BTW I don't think Dangerfield deserved suspension. Just bad luck for Vlastuin. Like Ward in the 2016 Prelim. Vlastuin at least has a medal.

Heh I kind of agree on the conclusion but for opposite reasons.

Jezza was coming in late on the mark and made high contact when he didn't have to. I can understand suspending Dangerfield given their claims about a duty of care with head contact though.

Really..?
That was Never Gonna Happen.
It was just a hamfisted management stunt to get his $1.4mil.

ON NOW | Ralph Carr, reflecting on Dustin Martin's potential move to GWS in 2013.

"Between Dustin, myself & SOS, we thought he was a GWS player. We thought the deal was done. We thought he would re-unite with his father up there and next thing we know, it was pulled from above"

"I think it was about a 5-year deal, around $700,000 per year"

"At the time, Dusty was missing his family and wanted to be closer to his father. For me, as a manager, I want my clients to be happy as a person... Then they become a better player"

- SOS re: the offer from GWS back in 2013

"If you put Dustin Martin in the GWS team with the side they had assembled back then... I daresay they would have won a couple of flags"

- Ralph Carr

🤔

ON NOW | Ralph Carr, reflecting on Dustin Martin's potential move to GWS in 2013.

"Between Dustin, myself & SOS, we thought he was a GWS player. We thought the deal was done. We thought he would re-unite with his father up there and next thing we know, it was pulled from above"

"I think it was about a 5-year deal, around $700,000 per year"

"At the time, Dusty was missing his family and wanted to be closer to his father. For me, as a manager, I want my clients to be happy as a person... Then they become a better player"

- SOS re: the offer from GWS back in 2013

"If you put Dustin Martin in the GWS team with the side they had assembled back then... I daresay they would have won a couple of flags"

- Ralph Carr

🤔
That would have been very handy.
Of course we would have lost someone else along the way, but he would have been a very good point of difference for us.

...And before the end of the day the Giants put out a statement saying they weren't interested. He was visibly disinterested in his dealings with the club staff. So the pretty statement didn't match the actions.

That's quite different from the account I heard from some GWS staff around the time. It's possible they misinterpreted Dusty's shyness. The idea of someone in the AFL pulling the pin on the deal is plausible. There was a real fear GWS was going to win 5-6 flags in a row and traditional Vic teams would suffer.

That's quite different from the account I heard from some GWS staff around the time. It's possible they misinterpreted Dusty's shyness. The idea of someone in the AFL pulling the pin on the deal is plausible. There was a real fear GWS was going to win 5-6 flags in a row and traditional Vic teams would suffer.
I agree Dusty and Co were running up his price at Richmond.
Do you think the AFL could also have stopped Buddy signing with GWS the following year or was sustained dominance no longer such a fear?

I agree Dusty and Co were running up his price at Richmond.
Do you think the AFL could also have stopped Buddy signing with GWS the following year or was sustained dominance no longer such a fear?
Have a listen to the interview. Has far as they were concerned he was a Giant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wonder is this is a Collingwood tactic to get him to leave, or the reason they want him to leave.

He seems like a reasonable guy, a long way from the type that this conversation would be necessary.

I feel for Adam. Was not happy with his 2-faced approach to leaving, but what has happened to him these last few weeks is not right to do to someone.

Interesting hearing Essendon discussed as an option for him. I remember a few years back there was a lot of discussion that there was tension between he and Shiel and a dislike that stemmed back from junior years. Could be interesting if they are reunited again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back