Not Worth A Thread - Random Bulldog Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Some of the women were on the track today - with Burke I think (a coach anyway).

Happy Halloween Chicago!

Thanks for reminding me.

Halloween was never any big deal to me in the states before I moved here back in 1975. It was a nonentity here then. That year a fellow staff member(mixed breed - one parent Aussie the other parent American - can't remember which was which) had a Halloween party at her home in Moonee Ponds. We had seven Americans on the school staff so with a few Aussie teachers invited, we had a great time. I dressed up as Uncle Sam. Remember this?

In my 25 years living here I never had any kids stop by my place for Halloween... except for my last year, 1999. For some reason I had an inkling that I might get some kids so I bought some American chocolate bars from Safeway, just in case. At about 8pm there was a knock at my door. I opened it to see three guys about 15 years old saying "Trick or Treat." They weren't dressed up but had a plastic bag with them. I panicked. I thought that they might have been some students from my school at first when I had opened the door, but they weren't. I told than that they had hit the jackpot. I gave them the entire bag of chocolates. You should have seen the look on their faces!

When I returned home in 2000 I really got into Halloween. I began buying decorations to put outside. I had bats, ghosts, skulls and the like hanging from a tree, scarecrows lined up next to our front sidewalk and spider webs stretched across our bushes. My pride and joy was a life size ghoul I had hanging from the tree with a spotlight on it. After my dad died(he used to buy the cheapest candy and we'd have tons left over and just throw it away) I bought my favourite candy to give out and ate the leftover stuff.

I forgot that today is Halloween. I look forward to Thanksgiving next month which I have always celebrated while living here. But that's another story for another day.

Dennis Pagan trains the Derby winner - amazing !
Was just going to mention that. I know nothing about horse racing at all(comparable to my footy knowledge :) ), but seeing Denis Pagan so emotional after that win was fantastic.

Was just going to mention that. I know nothing about horse racing at all(comparable to my footy knowledge :) ), but seeing Denis Pagan so emotional after that win was fantastic.

His interview and response to it all was fantastic.
funny , said he never got emotional ever over his footy journey and couldn’t explain why all of a sudden he was sooking now.
Great story , great achievement 😃

Thanks for reminding me.

Halloween was never any big deal to me in the states before I moved here back in 1975. It was a nonentity here then. That year a fellow staff member(mixed breed - one parent Aussie the other parent American - can't remember which was which) had a Halloween party at her home in Moonee Ponds. We had seven Americans on the school staff so with a few Aussie teachers invited, we had a great time. I dressed up as Uncle Sam. Remember this?

In my 25 years living here I never had any kids stop by my place for Halloween... except for my last year, 1999. For some reason I had an inkling that I might get some kids so I bought some American chocolate bars from Safeway, just in case. At about 8pm there was a knock at my door. I opened it to see three guys about 15 years old saying "Trick or Treat." They weren't dressed up but had a plastic bag with them. I panicked. I thought that they might have been some students from my school at first when I had opened the door, but they weren't. I told than that they had hit the jackpot. I gave them the entire bag of chocolates. You should have seen the look on their faces!

When I returned home in 2000 I really got into Halloween. I began buying decorations to put outside. I had bats, ghosts, skulls and the like hanging from a tree, scarecrows lined up next to our front sidewalk and spider webs stretched across our bushes. My pride and joy was a life size ghoul I had hanging from the tree with a spotlight on it. After my dad died(he used to buy the cheapest candy and we'd have tons left over and just throw it away) I bought my favourite candy to give out and ate the leftover stuff.

I forgot that today is Halloween. I look forward to Thanksgiving next month which I have always celebrated while living here. But that's another story for another day.

I did Halloween as a young teenager with mates and brothers in the mid 1980’s in in Hoppers Crossing and filled a shopping bag full of lollies. We were stoked. ET movie came out in 1982 and there was a Halloween scene and I reckon we just copied that. But not many people did it then.

I did Halloween as a young teenager with mates and brothers in the mid 1980’s in in Hoppers Crossing and filled a shopping bag full of lollies. We were stoked. ET movie came out in 1982 and there was a Halloween scene and I reckon we just copied that. But not many people did it then.
I was surprised at how big it had become in some areas here when I returned three years ago. I should have bought some Lindor assorted chocolate balls to pass out this year. My bungalow is in a gated backyard so I'd never have any of them chilluns show up and I could keep all of that delicious chocolate for myself. Why didn't I think of that sooner? Damn.

I was surprised at how big it had become in some areas here when I returned three years ago. I should have bought some Lindor assorted chocolate balls to pass out this year. My bungalow is in a gated backyard so I'd never have any of them chilluns show up and I could keep all of that delicious chocolate for myself. Why didn't I think of that sooner? Damn.
I did that last year 😋. This year there have been no teams of monsters roaming our streets but we can hear a couple of backyard parties a few houses away. Much better idea.

I did that last year 😋. This year there have been no teams of monsters roaming our streets but we can hear a couple of backyard parties a few houses away. Much better idea.
And they had the Lindor big bag on special this week at Woolies for 1/2 price and I forgot when I ordered my groceries. :'(

My best mate ordered a big box of assorted Cadbury miniatures, and accidentally double ordered. How awful.

Update: one of said parties was still raging at 2am, everyone singing along to the songs playing. Gradually this was replaced over the next hour by someone experimenting with the volume control on their synthesiser.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Update: one of said parties was still raging at 2am, everyone singing along to the songs playing. Gradually this was replaced over the next hour by someone experimenting with the volume control on their synthesiser.
That sounds like a birthday party in the backyard of a neighbour's house two door down a couple of years ago. However, since they were playing 60s and 70s music I saw no need to complain. :)

Thanks for reminding me.

Halloween was not on the radar when I was young
My kids enjoyed it though

I was more into Empire day / night and Guy Fawkes Night
We lived near a paddock and had some of the best Bonfires :D

Looks like Toby McLean has had shoulder surgery as well if his insta story is anything to go by.

I see him posting.

Chicago1 - I've still got my Statue of Liberty. I finally got to see (a couple of times) too. The Vegas one and the real one.

On SM-G981B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Just caught this now. That's a long time ago! I'm still hanging around here like an old fart. Send me a PM when you log on again.

A few bright sparks on here came up with the idea to run a Chess AFL league which kicked off back in May.
The general idea was to stay sharp over the covid break and to see which clubs supporters were the smartest of them all.
Being an avid chess player I was invited to represent the Bulldogs and teamed up with Hawkage and CursingFijian who graciously flew the flag for the red white and blue during this comp.
As luck would have it we took care of business during the home and away rounds to qualify for the finals. We had the double chance which we needed, losing convincingly to Fremantle in the first qualifying final.
The semi final in week two saw us come up against Essendon Red and so we channeled our inner Sammy Power and took home the victory to put us into the prelims against Port Adelaide. Well it turns out that the power of port are no match for the power of the bulldogs and we prevailed sending us through to the grannie.
In the Grand Final we would once again come up against Freo, the team that demolished us in week one of the finals. The grand final was an epic, the equivalent being something like the 2010 GF classic, as after all was said and done both teams were tied.
After a bit of discussion it was decided that I would play against my Freo opponent in a one game, winner takes all match. Needless to say the nerves and excitement were peaking. The start of the game saw sweaty palms push those virtual pieces into a loose formation. By mid game eyes were blurred from concentration as a strategy unfolded and I began to manipulate my opponent and get the upper hand.
Black pieces took white pieces and white pieces took black. The heat was on and after an intense 20 odd minutes I am pleased to report back to my fellow bulldogs that....we won!
So the next time someone talks about any of our brethren having a low footyIQ, send them over to the below thread n ask....wanna sort that out over a chess board mate?

Last edited:
A few bright sparks on here came up with the idea to run a Chess AFL league which kicked off back in May.
The general idea was to stay sharp over the covid break and to see which clubs supporters were the smartest of them all.
Being an avid chess player I was invited to represent the Bulldogs and teamed up with Hawkage and CursingFijian who graciously flew the flag for the red white and blue during this comp.
Well as luck would have it we took care of business during the home and away rounds to qualify for the finals. We had the double chance which we needed, losing convincingly to Fremantle in the first qualifying final.
The semi final in week two saw us come up against Essendon Red and so we channeled our inner Sammy Power and took home the victory to put us in the prelims against Port Adelaide. Well the power of port were no match for the power of the bulldogs and we prevailed sending us through to the grannie.
In the Grand Final we would once again come up against Freo, the team that demolished us in week one of the finals. The grand final was an epic, the equivalent being something like the 2010 GF classic, as after all was said and done both teams were tied.
After a bit of discussion it was decided that I would play against my Freo opponent in a one game, winner takes all match. Needless to say the nerves and excitement were peaking. The start of the game saw my sweaty palms push those virtual pieces into a loose formation. By mid game my eyes were blurred from concentration as a strategy unfolded and I began to manipulate my opponent and get the upper hand.
Black pieces took white pieces and white pieces took black. The heat was on and after an intense 20 odd minutes I am pleased to report back to my fellow bulldogs that....we won!
So the next time someone talks about any of our brethren having a low footyIQ, send them over to the below thread n ask....wanna sort that out over a chess board mate?

Well done. Close Grand Fial. ‘Dogs get away in the last 7 minutes so it looks like a comfortable win. If chess becomes boring, try your hand at writing thrillers

Well done. Close Grand Fial. ‘Dogs get away in the last 7 minutes so it looks like a comfortable win. If chess becomes boring, try your hand at writing thrillers
Cheers, to be fair she was a tight one for most of it. Towards the closing stages though as my leading lady the queen swooped in and took their knight I swear I could almost feel Toby McLean jumping on my back..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back