Streaming The STAN thread

Streaming Television

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
We watched The Comey Rule and thought it was really good. Jeff Daniel's was terrific as Comey. The story of a principled man who believes in his country and his job put to the sword by a corrupt, fascist, new President. This is a story of good versus evil, where evil eventually wins.
Yeah, I really loved it too. I think some of the criticism about it being very generous to Comey is probably true (as it is based on his memoir after all), but the general consensus is that he was a genuine and kind man, and a fantastic leader as well. That's a pretty uncommon double.

The only gripe I had was that the first 20 minutes was REALLY tough to get through. The acting was a bit crap and it almost felt like a telemovie at times.

Mar 7, 2009
On the Buses
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Stars
Yeah, I really loved it too. I think some of the criticism about it being very generous to Comey is probably true (as it is based on his memoir after all), but the general consensus is that he was a genuine and kind man, and a fantastic leader as well. That's a pretty uncommon double.

The only gripe I had was that the first 20 minutes was REALLY tough to get through. The acting was a bit crap and it almost felt like a telemovie at times.
Agree, it does over eulogize on how good a man Comey was, but it was a minor flaw to me. I have read also that he was highly respected and liked in the FBI for the kind of leadership the series shows. The English actor who played Trump did a good job of it too. After watching the Trump/Biden debate and seeing the real Trump on display, it matches the mini-series Trump closely.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree, it does over eulogize on how good a man Comey was, but it was a minor flaw to me. I have read also that he was highly respected and liked in the FBI for the kind of leadership the series shows. The English actor who played Trump did a good job of it too. After watching the Trump/Biden debate and seeing the real Trump on display, it matches the mini-series Trump closely.
His leering presence in all those meetings just made my skin crawl.

Brave New World. 1 episode to go. Really quite enjoying it. Have not read the book since High School (a long time ago), so remembered the general gist of it, but might re-read to see how many changes made for TV.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Brave New World. 1 episode to go. Really quite enjoying it. Have not read the book since High School (a long time ago), so remembered the general gist of it, but might re-read to see how many changes made for TV.
I've read some conflicting opinions on this one, but I didn't realise it was on Stan, so might check it out. Likewise, I haven't read it since high school and I remember not particularly liking it, but a friend of mine whose taste I really trust loves it.

I've read some conflicting opinions on this one, but I didn't realise it was on Stan, so might check it out. Likewise, I haven't read it since high school and I remember not particularly liking it, but a friend of mine whose taste I really trust loves it.
Builds an interesting world which it sounds like they intend to build on for future season which would be outside of the books scope (similar to a Handmaids Tail).

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
my to watch list is a mile long. still yet to get through the new twin peaks. i've watched bits and pieces of preacher. the days where i can smash out a season of red dwarf just don't exist for me at the moment.

i scroll all the way to the bottom and check in the foreign films for the naughty ones like story of o and baise moi

Dec 1, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
I've only watched the first episode of it, but The Good Lord Bird is firming up to be the best show of 2020. Has anyone else started it?

Up to date. I am enjoying it - also strongly recommend the book by James McBride, which was a wonderful one.

Ethan Hawke remains one of the best and most underrated actors working today, and I love how much he's throwing himself into John Brown.

Just started watching the just released "Gangs of London" 2020.

From Stan website: " Gangs of London is a British action–crime drama television series produced by Pulse Films & Sister, following struggles between rival gangs and other criminal organisations in present-day London. "

Being a STAN production they have not skimped on the $$ for the stunt guys in the fight scenes. S1 Ep1 the fight in the pub is awesome!!

Got me hooked as to who killed Finn Wallace? Now off to Ep2.

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Brave New World.

Have not read the book since High School (a long time ago), so remembered the general gist of it, but might re-read to see how many changes made for TV.
Similar - started ep1 and has a nice vibe - boobies help

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What's the deal with that Roald and Beatrix 70 minute movie? The acting and production was fine but the story was so uncooked. The set up is the two famous authors meet based on a true story. Having read a lot about Roald Dahl's life, I strongly question any meeting occurred (he certainly was a fan of her books though) and yet even if the meeting was fictionalised they didn't do anything with it!

Anyone been watching the new Bryan Cranston show on Stan called Your Honour? He plays a judge who has to help his son cover up a tragic accident. Only two episodes in and it's really gripping. Makes you question your morals quite a bit, I've found.
Did watch the trailer and decided to give it a go but we're waiting for the episodes to pile up

You all realise you are talking about different and completely independent shows with zero linkages at all?
Holy s**t! All this time I thought the thread was about one show called Stan!

Back