Club Focus GWS Giants 2020 - Hogan, Preuss, Bruhn, Stone, Angwin, Fleeton, Wehr

AFL Club Focus
Tom hickey will be wanting more opportunities as he is a good enough ruckman to not be playing afl . He would be a cheap stop gap for GWS whilst their young rucks develop.

He is contracted but I doubt WCE would stop him leaving for opportunity.

We have cover in vardy and williams who could come in and a young beanpole in jamerson who is a work in progress.

No idea what we would ask for I doubt he is worth much but we wouldn't lose him for nothing .

Swap for langdon ?

He would be a good option for us (if we went down the experienced ruck path).

What we'd trade, I guess if Langdon wanted to go and you wanted him, that wouldn't be too far apart. I think Langdon is probably a better player, but we need a ruck more than you need a small forward, so it is probably fair.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
He would be a good option for us (if we went down the experienced ruck path).

What we'd trade, I guess if Langdon wanted to go and you wanted him, that wouldn't be too far apart. I think Langdon is probably a better player, but we need a ruck more than you need a small forward, so it is probably fair.
Our small and HFF have copped a hammering. Rioli (asada) venables will retire from concussion, cameron OP , cripps is getting older .

Ahchee and petrecelle both struggle to find the ball

We have some rookies in Reid Jones but they are crap .

Langdon would be reasonable option for us

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
Zac Williams and Jeremy Cameron out the door.

Still plenty of talent but is there any sense that GWS might actually be on the cusp of a partial rebuild?

I think they may have overachieved by making the GF in 2019 but I definitely think they're better than their 10th place in 2020. Crunch time for Leon Cameron and they could absolutely still play finals in 2021 but is that the right way to go?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS

Still plenty of talent but is there any sense that GWS might actually be on the cusp of a partial rebuild?

I think they may have overachieved by making the GF in 2019 but I definitely think they're better than their 10th place in 2020. Crunch time for Leon Cameron and they could absolutely still play finals in 2021 but is that the right way to go?
We don’t need to rebuild. We will be younger than most teams next year anyway. We have been rebuilding the last few years as it is.

Dec 20, 2014
Hong Kong
AFL Club
West Coast
We don’t need to rebuild. We will be younger than most teams next year anyway. We have been rebuilding the last few years as it is.
Yeah maybe not rebuild in the strict sense of the word. More like running repairs. The Port Adelaide model, if you like.

The top-end talent isn't what it was 2-3 years ago. Still good enough to play finals but can you crack top 4 and challenge?

You're probably going to have 3 first-rounders this year so that's not a bad place to start.

Yeah maybe not rebuild in the strict sense of the word. More like running repairs. The Port Adelaide model, if you like.

The top-end talent isn't what it was 2-3 years ago. Still good enough to play finals but can you crack top 4 and challenge?

You're probably going to have 3 first-rounders this year so that's not a bad place to start.
We had 2 last year and 3 the year before (and 2 early in rnd2) as well.
That is more than most teams get in a full rebuild

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond

They can't afford to lose Kelly, Taranto, Greene, and Whitfield as well as Haynes. Ideally they need to restock by the end of 2021 and put them on the right path meaning they need players otherwise their list will collapse and AFL in NSW will descend into the dark ages along with the revenue to

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Bandaras.gif

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Leon Cameron surely cannot afford to rebuild?

You'd assume it's gotta be a "win now" approach for Leon - Can't see them taking a bunch of picks to the draft, more likely to go after players IMO.

The Fonz

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2004
Las Vegas
The AFL wanted the Giants to succeed in Sydney and didn't have the patience to wait 15 years (notwithstanding Edelstein years) like it took the Swans.
So they gave them the cream of the crop - the problem is that every year there are a bunch of Giants out of contract wanting to leave as they don't get a game.
The Giants are flush with high draft picks coming back their way - wash, rinse, repeat.

This is the number of Round 1 Draft picks last 5 years:
2015 - 3
2016 - 4
2017 - 1
2018 - 3
2019 - 2

I dont know how the cycle is broken 🤷

Hird Is Scum

Team Captain
Mar 7, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys
The AFL wanted the Giants to succeed in Sydney and didn't have the patience to wait 15 years (notwithstanding Edelstein years) like it took the Swans.
So they gave them the cream of the crop - the problem is that every year there are a bunch of Giants out of contract wanting to leave as they don't get a game.
The Giants are flush with high draft picks coming back their way - wash, rinse, repeat.

2015 - 3
2016 - 4
2017 - 1
2018 - 3
2019 - 2

Why does it need to be? It'll keep them competitive but unlikely to ever make them dominate with the high turnover of top end talent.

2015 - 3
2016 - 4
2017 - 1
2018 - 3
2019 - 2

The other equaliser in the salary cap is what makes it hard to keep all the top picks.

The Fonz

Club Legend
Jul 6, 2004
Las Vegas

2015 - 3
2016 - 4
2017 - 1
2018 - 3
2019 - 2

Expect the kids they draft with all the Cameron picks to want out in 3 years 🤷

Back