First club to 17 premierships?

Who will be the first club to 17 premierships?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, you still hate us.

I wore a Richmond jumper on the 2017 Grand Final day, such was my pity for them after 35 years as THE laughing stock of the AFL.

Will you be wearing a Collingwood guernsey and supporting us when we play in our next Grand Final?

Thought not.
Wore a richmond jumper.

Thick.

Nah, you still hate us.

I wore a Richmond jumper on the 2017 Grand Final day, such was my pity for them after 35 years as THE laughing stock of the AFL.

Will you be wearing a Collingwood guernsey and supporting us when we play in our next Grand Final?

Thought not.

I personally will be prepared to wear a Collingwood jumper when you win one! Given that I am not a teenager anymore, chances are that I will not have to suffer the indignation...

Personally I count from 1987 when Brisbane and West Coast joined, that was the start of the AFL.

And Hawthorn are miles in front.

Carlton 1
Essendon 2
Collingwood 2
Richmond 3
Geelong 3
Brisbane 3
West Coast 4
Hawthorn 7

If you start from 87' then Carlton have 2 flags.

Everyone can have their own arbitrary point. I look at it like the league has been evolving since it was founded, adding clubs along the way with more probably still to come. Every year for over a hundred years the league offers a premiership and every year a club wins one. To me, that's the only tally that matters. If the league is still running a hundred years from now people may not value flags of today, but that's just a personal thing.

thing is...there are still ppl that think team XYZ in the 20s/30s are the best ever...that's like saying the Mongols/Romans were the best armies ever.......let's see how they go against amoured tanks...
What a simpleton.

Do you honestly think you're offering anything insightful by telling us all that the full-time professional teams of today would beat the teams of 100 years ago that turned up on a Saturday afternoon after maybe a training run or two during the week?

If you start from 87' then Carlton have 2 flags.

Everyone can have their own arbitrary point. I look at it like the league has been evolving since it was founded, adding clubs along the way with more probably still to come. Every year for over a hundred years the league offers a premiership and every year a club wins one. To me, that's the only tally that matters. If the league is still running a hundred years from now people may not value flags of today, but that's just a personal thing.

You are right about the two flags, my bad.

What a simpleton.

Do you honestly think you're offering anything insightful by telling us all that the full-time professional teams of today would beat the teams of 100 years ago that turned up on a Saturday afternoon after maybe a training run or two during the week?
And that’s when the pies were at their best! When Albert and George and Syd just turned up on a Saturday for some jolly good fun cor blimey.
Your downfall has been when teams started training twice a week in the 60’s then went to 3 times a week in the 70’s and 80’s. Eddie is speaking to Gil right now about turning the game back to an amateur competition where the players are paid a thruppennce a week to bring back the glory days for the pies!

1990 was the official moment though when the VFL realised they could not go it alone, that they needed the competition to be national. Sure there were a few non-Victorian teams in the competition already, but with the game still called the "VFL" that was just Victorians "allowing" a few non-Victorian teams to participate, rather than them actually wanting the game to be national. The changing of the name to the AFL signifies a big shift in how the game was run, and was also reasonably close to full professionalism, where every player earned enough so they did not need another job (though not exact as that happened a bit after).
Totally agree with you even though I'm going against some fellow Tiger posters.
In my opinion anything from 1990 which was the official date of the AFL should be counted. Prior to that it wasn't even full professional let alone a national comp.
I understand the VFL was the foundation league but * me dead how can you compare a team that won a flag with 15 to 17 other teams in a full professional & national league with compromised drafts + salary cap to a 6 to 12 team comp with open wallets & some years of round robins during the wars & great depression.
Its actually laughable.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hook, line and sinker.

You would think that given their recent period of success, their persecution complex would be no longer.

Obviously not.

Yet despite our long periods of shitness throughout our history we only have two less flags than Collingwood.

And that’s when the pies were at their best! When Albert and George and Syd just turned up on a Saturday for some jolly good fun cor blimey.
Your downfall has been when teams started training twice a week in the 60’s then went to 3 times a week in the 70’s and 80’s. Eddie is speaking to Gil right now about turning the game back to an amateur competition where the players are paid a thruppennce a week to bring back the glory days for the pies!
I think you mean Gordon, not George.

I wonder what those 120,000 people who attended the 1970 Grand Final think of that? (Melbourne population 2/5 million) Perhaps they discuss it with the 100,000 plus who attended the Grand Final in the 50's, '60's, 70's and '80s 27 times in an amateur and semi-professional local league? You have to ask yourself why do we all bother?
Most don't think of it at all because they're dead.

What a simpleton.

anything insightful ? absolutely not...that IS the point, in case you missed it here it is again: (it's clear as day)

there are STILL ppl who think team XYZ in the 20s/30s are the best ever...

ps: I might be a simpleton but I'm not one of these ppl.

anything insightful ? absolutely not...that IS the point, in case you missed it here it is again: (it's clear as day)

ps: I might be a simpleton but I'm not one of these ppl.
Yes but are you one of those people who thinks the teams of the 21st century are better than the teams of the 1920s and 30s?

Also, I don't think I've heard many people argue teams of that era were the best ever anyway.

Yes but are you one of those people who thinks the teams of the 21st century are better than the teams of the 1920s and 30s?

Also, I don't think I've heard many people argue teams of that era were the best ever anyway.
just because "I don't think I've heard"...doesn't mean something doesn't exist, like if I say...I've never EVER seen a UFO...that doesn't mean UFOs don't exist so you should try to be less about me me me ("I don't think I've heard")

and no, not about to call you names even tho you called me a simpleton.

just because "I don't think I've heard"...doesn't mean something doesn't exist, like if I say...I've never EVER seen a UFO...that doesn't mean UFOs don't exist so you should try to be less about me me me ("I don't think I've heard")

and no, not about to call you names even tho you called me a simpleton.
I never called you a simpleton.

I think that people claiming that teams from the 20s/30s are the best are as common as UFOs - they may well exist but nobody has ever seen one.

You didn't actually answer my question.

I never called you a simpleton.

I think that people claiming that teams from the 20s/30s are the best are as common as UFOs - they may well exist but nobody has ever seen one.

You didn't actually answer my question.

yes apologies re simpleton, different poster, completely my bad

Yes I think modern day teams are far better than yesteryear's teams...it's just natural evolution...now if I used the words "best eva", ok there may have been a bit of mayo on that but the point is ppl do all sorts comparisons/ratings/opinions
saying that yesteryear's teams are "better" than modern day teams..and premiers in the 20s/30s/40s to...whatever are better than today's...in particular Richmond... a team of just plain ordinary roleplayers....what can i say but....ehhhhhh.

I wouldn't have thought so.

But there are people who think the Magpies team of the late 20's, when they played in 6 consecutive Grand Finals between 1925 and 1930, winning the last 4 of them in succession, were the most dominant team of any era, given their results against the opposition of the day.

And they would be able to make a good case, with the Melbourne team of the late 50's/early 60's and the Hawthorn team between 1983 and 1991 the other two teams in that conversation.

Totally agree with you even though I'm going against some fellow Tiger posters.
In my opinion anything from 1990 which was the official date of the AFL should be counted. Prior to that it wasn't even full professional let alone a national comp.
I understand the VFL was the foundation league but fu** me dead how can you compare a team that won a flag with 15 to 17 other teams in a full professional & national league with compromised drafts + salary cap to a 6 to 8 team comp with open wallets & some years of round robins during the wars & great depression.
Its actually laughable.

I am glad you agree. I mean even going back to 1980. There were only 12 teams in the competition, two of which have now relocated. Not to mention zones which distorted the competition massively. It was also an era where it was not a full time job, and all the less talented players needed jobs outside of the sport, and even many of the bigger named players needed jobs outside the sport.

Since 1980 the competition became national, not just a local Victorian league, all the best players now come to the AFL, rather than many of them staying in Western Australia or South Australia. There has been the introduction of a draft so teams in good zones don't just dominate the competition and importantly now every player that is drafted in the AFL is a full time professional who does not need a second job.

1980 VFL was essentially amateur even compared to 10 years later, and especially 40 years later.

1990 is the changing of the guard, the moment where the AFL was able to become the most popular team sport in the country. Had the VFL stayed like it was 40 or 50 years ago chances are other sports would have wiped Australian Football out.

Back