Individual moments of good and bad from forgotten players

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really a forgotten player, but if I remember correctly (and yes, definitely correct me if I'm wrong), but in 2007, I believe Shane Parker had like a 2-game stint in the forward line and got a goal by running down a Carlton player, getting the free, and slotting it from like 40. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I definitely remember him galloping like a majestic gazelle, but he may have been running into the forward line and kicking it on the run. I MUST SEE THIS AGAIN.

Not really a forgotten player, but if I remember correctly (and yes, definitely correct me if I'm wrong), but in 2007, I believe Shane Parker had like a 2-game stint in the forward line and got a goal by running down a Carlton player, getting the free, and slotting it from like 40. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I definitely remember him galloping like a majestic gazelle, but he may have been running into the forward line and kicking it on the run. I MUST SEE THIS AGAIN.

The day Pav kicked 9 against Carlton at Etihad he kicked on on the run from 50, was a magic moment.

In his 200th (2005) he kept Brendan Fevola goalless and kicked a goal himself!! Can't find video footage but from memory he got the ball 60 out at the MCG, sprinted to 45-50 and pumped it home. Checking AFL tables he achieved this just 12:56 into the match!!

In his 200th (2005) he kept Brendan Fevola goalless and kicked a goal himself!! Can't find video footage but from memory he got the ball 60 out at the MCG, sprinted to 45-50 and pumped it home. Checking AFL tables he achieved this just 12:56 into the match!!
Yeah, this seems like the game I was thinking of. I thought it was 2007 for a second because he kicked a single goal that year against Carlton too.

Brady Grey’s start to 2017, the game against North in particular where we made a comeback he was huge in the last, set up a goal with a good releasing kick from defence (then dumped as he kicked it and had a wrestle with Hansen), and then a clutch set shot on a very tight angle in the pocket.

Tanner Smith against Brisbane in 2016, had 4 goal assists in his first game playing up forward, snagged one himself. had a good start v Port the following week iirc before getting hurt

Brady Grey’s start to 2017, the game against North in particular where we made a comeback he was huge in the last, set up a goal with a good releasing kick from defence (then dumped as he kicked it and had a wrestle with Hansen), and then a clutch set shot on a very tight angle in the pocket.

Tanner Smith against Brisbane in 2016, had 4 goal assists in his first game playing up forward, snagged one himself. had a good start v Port the following week iirc before getting hurt
Far out, Tanner Smith. So many hard luck stories in AFL, and his is up there too.
Gets a game first season. Then Pre season after pre season as a defender. Injuries, think got delisted Rookie listed. THEN plays two solid surprising games as forward. Could have something here. Does his hamstring. So serious, it requires surgery.
He’s only 26, delisted at 22 which I thought was harsh. That’s the way AFL works sometimes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam Campbell kicking 4 goals and leading the team to victory in his third game, I thought he would be an absolute star.

Ryan Murphy kicked around 50 goals for Souths in a season and looked a real prospect too from the same draft. If one of Campbell/Murphy/Polak/Drum had gone on to be a handy forward the 2013 GF could have been a different story.........

Weirdly specific one from me and I can't remember the player but:

2006 vs Collingwood at the MCG (first ever game at the G for me) during our 9-straight run. Collingwood player A is rebounding from defence, unknown Freo player is tearing after him to take him down. Collingwood player B tries to shepherd but the Freo player does such a good job that the Collingwood player has to resort to grabbing the jumper. Umpire calls a free kick for illegal block, we pump it back inside 50 for a goal. Never saw that free kick awarded before that moment, Collingwood crowd around me going absolutely spare. Great moment.

Shaun Mac kicking a magnificent goal from the tight angle after he got cleaned up by Wirrapunda

Ryan Murphy kicked around 50 goals for Souths in a season and looked a real prospect too from the same draft. If one of Campbell/Murphy/Polak/Drum had gone on to be a handy forward the 2013 GF could have been a different story.........
hell, if our current coach didn't have dodgy knees, he could've been there on GF day...

Tim Ruffles from the boundary

Champagne football! - From a length of the ground transition with Brett Peake involved... think it was the 2nd derby in 2006 on our 9 game run.

Also, did Jess Sinclair have any highlights for us?

bone shuddering tackle by Crozier on Shaun Burgoyne circa 2013(?) in the forward pocket. Shill running the boundary against Getroit to seal the deal.

Champagne football! - From a length of the ground transition with Brett Peake involved... think it was the 2nd derby in 2006 on our 9 game run.
Great call.

Farmer over the head to Johnno, slow motion evasion, flips it to Son Of - finish.

bone shuddering tackle by Crozier on Shaun Burgoyne circa 2013(?) in the forward pocket. Shill running the boundary against Getroit to seal the deal.
2014 Crozier v hawks, let him know after and then slotted the goal with a left foot banana.

Last time we had beaten them until this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back